Thread: Standard Slot sight base file...?

Standard Slot sight base file...?

I need to file a front sight post dove tail sight. Would this be the correct file? Also, if it is...which one, the # 1 or # 2? And Finally, is there anywhere I can find it cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I need to file a front sight post dove tail sight. Would this be the correct file? Also, if it is...which one, the # 1 or # 2? And Finally, is there anywhere I can find it cheaper?
    What brand of pistol and what brand of sight?
    Dave Berryhill

S&W M&P

Sorry, I can't help you. I don't have one on hand to measure.
    Dave Berryhill

Are you filing the sight or the dovetail that it slides into?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Are you filing the sight or the dovetail that it slides into?
    The sight. I watched Dave Dawsons video on fitting the dove tail sights, albeit for a 1911. I have taken some of the bottom of the sight ( a factory replacement) off with a file but it still is kinda tight. I am just looking to take a little of the sight off where the dove tail is. I have some small files but theyre not fitting flush enough for it to be a smooth/seemless fit.

I like that small angle file he has but either I can not find one or my search-fu is no good.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    The sight. I watched Dave Dawsons video on fitting the dove tail sights, albeit for a 1911. I have taken some of the bottom of the sight ( a factory replacement) off with a file but it still is kinda tight. I am just looking to take a little of the sight off where the dove tail is. I have some small files but theyre not fitting flush enough for it to be a smooth/seemless fit.

I like that small angle file he has but either I can not find one or my search-fu is no good.

Thanks for the help.
    Brownells...call their tech line and ask them which one you need. They have the safety files with one side smooth so that you only take off where you need.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Brownells...call their tech line and ask them which one you need. They have the safety files with one side smooth so that you only take off where you need.
    Will do! Thanks!

If you are looking for cheap, Harbor Freight has some small files. Also check with your local hardware store.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Yes

Yes that would be the correct file for dovetail sights. 60 degrees is for most pistol sights. 65 degrees is for a 1911. Just be careful, it is usually easier to just file/stone or sand the sight instead of the slide. Always remove metal from the cheaper component. Slides are much more expensive than sights. Go slow, you can always remove more, putting metal back isn't so easy. If the sights are just tight it is doubtful you should need to spend that much on a specialty file that is more designed for cutting New dovetails. A standard Nicholson file should do just fine, map it out, measure it TWICE, cut even.

User Tag List