Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polycase ammuntion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Any chance you can put up a pic or two of the fired case?

Pen point indicates where the internal base begins. Notice the formed slits 180 degrees apart, they are not case ruptures.
    http://db.tt/ir5GCSD8
    Looking into the case you can see the aluminum tube that extends from the primer pocket.
    http://db.tt/VITdwMuV
    Looks to be a standard primer, the odd ring is a reflection.
    http://db.tt/8jAbNxXM

ETA: One concearn would be the possibility of bullet setback. Could a split polymer neck place as much case mouth tension as traditional brass? I am sure there was extensive testing done, but not sure how I feel about that.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 03-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    If the price was right, I'd like something like that for my match or class ammo, where I can't reclaim the cases easily.

I remember that poly-cased .223 ammo from a few years back. IIRC it did not run well.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Friend of mine had some of the .380 to try out.
    We couldnt get it to cycle more than 2 or 3 times in a row at most in an otherwise reliable Sig P380 (Colt pony copy)
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Hey, I've some of the super-rare polymer cased 12 gauge. It's a VERY advanced polymer. I'd gladly sell you some at $5/round. Anyone?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

so... can we print our one cases now?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

My roommate had an HK93 clone and tried some of the polymer cased 5.56 in it. The fluted HK chamber did not play well with the polymer case. The case extruded itself into the flutes & stayed there. After ripping the rim off & poking at it a bit with something sharp he gave up & the gun sat in the safe for several years. A couple of attempts were made over the years to clean it out resulting in a further mess as well as an HK clone that had been disassembled for several years with the parts scattered about. I pulled it out of the safe during his last trip to Afghanistan & ended up making some scraping tools out of brass that I pointed, sharpened & bent. I got the chamber mostly cleaned out after several hours of tedious scraping. After a short scavenger hunt to locate all of the wayward parts, I reassembled it. A few brass cased rounds down the chamber forced out the remaining polymer that I could not get out.

I fired and reloaded thousands of these back in the day.

Poly cased ammo would be the next step if only someone could figure out how to do it right. If no one can for whatever reason, or its not cheap like it should be. The next step would be just a bullet and powder ignited by an electric charge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    The next step would be just a bullet and powder ignited by an electric charge.
    The next step after the Remington EtronX?

User Tag List