Thread: Rangel introduces HR748

The "other purposes" crap is the scary stuff.

The number of military personnel will be capped.

He does stuff like this all of the time. Won't go anywhere.
    #RESIST

Mr. Rangel kept claiming that President Bush was going to draft "young people."
    And he, himself, had introduced the bill to reinstate the draft. Just like he has done again.

As far as I can tell, the last good thing the Honorable Mr. Rangel (D) NY did was serve in the Army during the Korean War.

Suppose for a second this bill becomes a reality. How are we going to pay for it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    How are we going to pay for it?
    46 cents of every dollar the US Government spends is borrowed. Our lack of funds does not stop them from spending more.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Suppose for a second this bill becomes a reality. How are we going to pay for it?
    Get the Chinese to loan us more money so the Treasury can buy more paper & ink.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He does stuff like this all of the time. Won't go anywhere.
    I was told that Rangel vomits pretty much this same bill every session. Never gets any co-sponsors.

If I'd realized that, I probably would still have posted it, just to share the opportunity for mockery.

ETA: If they're going to open combat MOSs to women, then I think young women should be required to register for the draft just like young men.
    The question of whether we need registration at all is another issue.

The only way peacetime universal military service would work in a nation our size would be if every young person went off and did basic training and those who were not enlisting for a Regular (Guard, Active Reserve) hitch spent the remainder of their six months service doing police call and KP. Pay would be pegged at minimum wage, and housing and subsistence at standard local rates wold be deducted.
    They'd still have to call broken, overweight, out-of-shape retirees like me in to herd them.

I have no idea at all how peacetime universal "community" service would work. Other than poorly, that is.
    FWIW, I have spoken to a few WWII vets who said that the Civilian Conservation Corps was a good preparation for military service.
    Last edited by Drang; 02-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.

User Tag List