Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
    Site Supporter

Critique my reload, please?

So, I'm looking to shave about 0.2 seconds or so off my reload. How I use dry fire to train is a hybrid approach - I won't use a timer when I'm solidifying the technique, and then I'll bring out the timer to test my results at match speed with a goal to hit a specific time. Usually it's about a 50/50 split between reps off the clock and reps on the clock. Here's a terribly lit video of my current reload that I recorded on my iPad on a lark.

I'm able to beat the 1.2 par time pretty consistently, but the 1.00 par evades me. Things I can see in the video that I know are costing my time - I'm not moving my weak hand to the pouch as quickly as possible, and I'm dropping my strong side shoulder a little bit when I start moving my hand to the gun as well. Any other thoughts on picking up speed are appreciated!
    Gun Nuts Media
    My father used to say that not playing to win is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail, with a blouse full of goodies, but... it's just illegal. -Topper Harley

Just some thoughts: When I do this I put in an empty magazine and lock the slide to the rear. Then when I insert a new magazine I have to release the slide in some manner as part of the reloading process. After that I lock the slide to the rear again and leave the magazine in the gun that I just put in, and then reload with the next one on my belt, which is in a different place a little farther to the rear. That way I get practice reaching for a different magazine in a different position so that my muscle memory doesn't make me reach where the empty magazine holder is.

Thats just what I do, others, I'm sure, do other things.

Caleb,

I am in no way qualified to critique your reload but I have a related question for you. I have been practicing reloads from slide lock with dummy rounds. Any idea what your time is for that or what would be considered a good time? I am currently at about 3.5 seconds to reload from slide lock, rebuild my grip and get off a trigger press. I know that is really slow but I'm not sure what a good goal would be. Don't mean to hijack your thread.