Thread: Excuse #71

Excuse #71

I am a huge proponent of dry firing. However, I noticed during today's range session (live fire has been sporadic this past winter) that I failed to establish and maintain a consistent "firm firing grip." I attribute this to off season dry fire, where I'm concentrating on perfecting the trigger pull.

I find it easy to lapse into a lack of "firm firing grip" mode 'cause I know nothing's going to go BANG! Or am I adding yet another excuse to my already pathetically long list of excuses for poor performance?

I know I need to mentally kick my ass and work on a consistently crushing, death grip (or my version thereof.) Any tips other than "Just Do It"?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I find it easy to lapse into a lack of "firm firing grip" mode 'cause I know nothing's going to go BANG!
    I have the same issue.

Site Supporter
    Do slower reps in dryfire to ensure you are correctly gripping the gun. You need to build an appropriately firm grip into your subconscious.

Do enough dry fire reps where you aren't pulling the trigger, but simply drawing, aiming and building your index. I would say that 90% of my dry fire practice is without a trigger press. When you don't have to concentrate on perfect trigger press , you can concentrate better on proper grip.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

For myself, I will pause and confirm a strong firing grip after a set number of dry fires. I figure I'm only lying to myself if dry fire is not perfect. Same thing with establishing a sight picture vs breaking a shot in dry fire.
    Taking a break from social media.

For me, it's a mindset game. As long as I keep my mind focused on what I'm doing, my dry fire practice can be quite valuable. But as soon as I let my brain decide that it's "just" dry fire, all sorts of stupid errors creep in.

Solution?

1. Short sessions. I'm talking less than 5 minutes of trigger control drills, worked once or twice a day.

2. No distractions in the environment. No TV. No radio. No other people. Just me and the gun, and a safe backstop.

3. Full focus. This goes along with no outside distractions. As soon as I feel my mind start to wander, I'm done dry firing. Sloppy repetitions done with less than full focus aren't just useless -- they actually reduce your current skills. Not worth it!

The mindset issue for me is a simple one. Once I've moved through the safety ritual, as far as my mind is concerned, I am firing the gun. I'm not "dry firing," as if it were a separate and specific thing. I want my mind to always believe I'm shooting the gun when I pull the trigger, even when there's no ammunition in the room.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

> I am a huge proponent of dry firing. However, I noticed during today's range session (live fire has been sporadic this past winter)
    > that I failed to establish and maintain a consistent "firm firing grip." I attribute this to off season dry fire, where I'm concentrating on perfecting the trigger pull.

I would alternate, some reps concentrate on a "perfect trigger pull" some reps concentrate on "a perfect grip".

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    For me, it's a mindset game. As long as I keep my mind focused on what I'm doing, my dry fire practice can be quite valuable. But as soon as I let my brain decide that it's "just" dry fire, all sorts of stupid errors creep in.

Solution?

1. Short sessions. I'm talking less than 5 minutes of trigger control drills, worked once or twice a day.

2. No distractions in the environment. No TV. No radio. No other people. Just me and the gun, and a safe backstop.

3. Full focus. This goes along with no outside distractions. As soon as I feel my mind start to wander, I'm done dry firing. Sloppy repetitions done with less than full focus aren't just useless -- they actually reduce your current skills. Not worth it!

The mindset issue for me is a simple one. Once I've moved through the safety ritual, as far as my mind is concerned, I am firing the gun. I'm not "dry firing," as if it were a separate and specific thing. I want my mind to always believe I'm shooting the gun when I pull the trigger, even when there's no ammunition in the room.

pax
    This is a really great approach. I particularly like the concept in the last paragraph as it should not only keep dry fire from being a vector for less than perfect technique, but rather, serve as a major reinforcement of proper technique AND safety. No need for using little "mind tricks" when the whole exercise is a mind training in addition to "body" training.

Thanks for sharing this Kathy, I'll be integrating itinto my regimen ASAP.

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

User Tag List