Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Frum has now made us all dumber for having read his piece....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post

Seriously, I'm glad you asked! Metrocon is a portmanteau of the words "Metrosexual" and "Conservative." It describes a person who self-describes as politically conservative, but who exhibits a concern with image, appearance, dress, and style more typical of urban liberals. Metrocons can be found all over Washington DC, but especially between Dupont Circle and K Street NW in the lower 20's.

I'm not sure that the term Metrocon accurately describes David Frum, who is not particularly conservative, and usually appears to have purchased his suits at Target. But, it will have to do until a better descriptor comes along.
    Urban dictionary has an interesting definition that expands a tiny bit on how you defined it:

Metrocons typically derive their worldview from some sort of intellectual reasoning, as opposed to soaking up the worldview from base emotions, reflexes and socializing with like-minded people, like hardcore people of other political orientations typically do. This makes them typically much more tolerant than other conservatives are, so metrocons are often viewed by hardcore conservatives as 'fake' or 'meek' or not genuine, somewhat similar to RINOs (Republican In Name Only), with an obvious difference, though: RINOs can be rural or metropolitan.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metrocon

I love how pretentious that definition is....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Metrocon: A large and serious-looking herbivore often found grazing the veldts of National Review, Fox News panels, and the Wall Street Journal editorial page. While hawkish on foreign policy and capable of mouthing all the proper social values shibboleths, they are generally fiscal moderates and only seem opposed to government power when it's Democrats that are wielding it. The easiest way to distinguish them from the carnivorous creatures they mimic and shelter among for protection is to ask them to count to ten. If they say "One, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten," you've cornered yourself a metrocon. Frum and Will are notable examples, and the largest specimen in captivity is Krauthammer.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Metrocon: A large and serious-looking herbivore often found grazing the veldts of National Review, Fox News panels, and the Wall Street Journal editorial page. While hawkish on foreign policy and capable of mouthing all the proper social values shibboleths, they are generally fiscal moderates and only seem opposed to government power when it's Democrats that are wielding it. The easiest way to distinguish them from the carnivorous creatures they mimic and shelter among for protection is to ask them to count to ten. If they say "One, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten," you've cornered yourself a metrocon. Frum and Will are notable examples, and the largest specimen in captivity is Krauthammer.
    You win.....

on a side note a metrocon is also one of the largest Anmie conventions in the country.....seems fitting

I'm not so sure they know about "four" either.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I'm not so sure they know about "four" either.
    They do, but only if you're not on drugs, or engaged in being swarthy in public.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Buckley they are not. Certainly.
    3/15/2016

Sadly I am going to need the counting thing spelled out for me.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Amendments.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Skipped the 2...the 2nd amendment.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Doh

Roger

Was trying desperately in my head to line them up with elections or election years, somehow.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List