Thread: Glory Hounds

Glory Hounds

Glory Hounds on the Animal Planet

Article in the Wall Street Journal:
    The Best of Friends in the Worst of Times

Sounds like some interesting TV but probably tough to watch at times.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Just saw this:
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertai...ed-4290980.php

Local angle since they train MWD's here in SA. I'm going to DVR it, something tells me my allergies will be acting up when I watch it.

Truly amazing creatures.............

Was it worth watching?
    #RESIST

I think it was.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I watched two episodes last night. Thought it was very well done. Extremely hard to watch at times, think a bug flew into my eye at one point in time.

It's more about the handlers and their lives interacting with the dogs than the actual dogs being the center of attention, I still will be tuning in for future episodes.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    I watched two episodes last night. Thought it was very well done. Extremely hard to watch at times, think a bug flew into my eye at one point in time.

Yup, yup. Damn bugs flying into my eyes making me tear up.....

I thought it was definitely worth watching. They could do a little less of the repeating-everything-after-every-commercial routine, but otherwise I thought it was excellent.

Argus was watching it intently, sitting at my feet while leaning against my leg. Put him to bed soon enough though, as I figured there would be IEDs and he's a pretty emotional dog. I watched a program about the 2004 tsunami, and he could tell it was video of actual people in distress so he put his tail between his legs and started wimpering. So, I didn't want anything to disturb him if a dog was hurt, which ended up being the right call. Definitely something to consider if Nacho is tuned in to emotions.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It gets real at points but seeing the bad puts the good into perspective. At least what was shown is not as bad as what was portrayed in the documentary War Dogs about the dogs used during the Viet Nam war. The only thing worse than seeing a shepherd give its life for its handler was learning how the dogs, many of which were donated by private citizens, were destroyed or left over there because they were considered expendable equipment.

One thing I liked was seeing the difference in temperament between the personalities of the Belgian Mals and German Shepherds.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 02-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    It gets real at points but seeing the bad puts the good into perspective. At least what was shown is not as bad as what was portrayed in the documentary War Dogs about the dogs, many of which were donated by private citizens, used during the Viet Nam war. The only thing worse than seeing a shepherd give its life for its handler was learning how the ones that lived were destroyed or left over there because they were considered expendable equipment.
    That documentary is what has me leery of watching this one. Seeing those grizzled old Vietnam vets tearing up about dogs they lost 40 years ago... So sad. At least they've changed the way they deal with injured /retired dogs now.
    Quick story : a friend's wife was a vet tech at the MWD facility here and they use some of the older retired dogs to train handlers. She said one dog in particular was priceless :when a trainee messed up, the dog would just stop and stare at him with a doggy "WTF!" face. Guess it was arguable who was training who

I'm very certain my eyes will be irritated by this show.
    #RESIST

User Tag List