Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P30 Stoppages

I don't have access to a chrono.

It's definitely colder than any classes I've taken, but it would be surprising to me to find out that the temp was responsible for so many malfunctions that got consistently worse. I've used PMC in temps much colder than this, and never had any issues. I should also add that the same ammo was used in two G17's today and they worked fine. Not saying it's not possible, just that ammo isn't my number one suspect at the moment.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Can't remember, did you try any other ammo?

I also seem to recall someone having trouble at a Rogers course with two P30's, and I think the trouble related to the need for a thorough cleaning, especially chamber and extractor area.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can't remember, did you try any other ammo?

I also seem to recall someone having trouble at a Rogers course with two P30's, and I think the trouble related to the need for a thorough cleaning, especially chamber and extractor area.

Probably on to something regarding the chamber.

Check out the black on the brass in the pictures.

What's the best way to thoroughly clean the chamber? A search seems to indicate some use a brass brush the next size up, I also came across a reference to this stainless steel Wilson Combat Chamber Cleaning Tool for 38 Super. I'd appreciate any other input on specific tools or solvents for this particular purpose.

A while back I noticed inconsistent ejection on my P30L, shooting 124gr Lawman (not known for being weak), and had my first stoppage in ~8,000 rounds much like the OP. I pulled the extractor and thoroughly cleaned it and the channel it sits in, but it still throws brass at somewhat random angles, sometimes in my face, sometimes just dribbling out. Wondering if the chamber could be my issue as well. I generally cleaned the barrel every 700-1000 rounds or so but never focused on the chamber. I'd just set the gun aside for the time being but I'd like to get it back up and running.

Lack of cleaning is something I will definetly admit to lol. And I didn't try any other ammo. I don't think there's a single box of 9mm in all of Fairbanks at the moment, so I can't afford to be picky.

Either way, this is no longer a carry gun, so I'm not too worrried about it. Just wanted to see what everyone here thought.
    Last edited by F-Trooper05; 02-16-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I bet ya two "Make Ready" DVDs that your extractor needs to be cleaned.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Paul Howe or Sonny Puzikas? They are are not equal...
    -Kyle Defoor

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Checking for a dirty chamber would be wise too.

The weaker the ammo, the darker the case... Lower pressures do not expand the case enough to seal the chamber as well as normal.
    The photo looks exactly like the squib rounds I had from Winchester. It looks like the slide did not open far enough for the case to even hit the ejector. If it had, it would be sitting at an angle.
    Cleaning the gun could help, but I would bet on weak ammo with temp sensitive powder.
    Recoil springs get weaker with use, not stronger.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    The case seems to be getting pulled out of the chamber.. just not far enough to be ejected.
    This. The gun extracted just fine, but failed to eject.

Underpowered ammo due to cold + dirty chamber + dirty gun + if it's been sitting in the safe for a year, I'll bet the frame rails are dryer than a popcorn fart = Slide not traveling fast enough and far enough to cleanly eject.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List