Page 374 of 375 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375 LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 3749

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I’m not a collector either, I’ve got those two, an SKX 173 and the reboot of the 6309 (can’t recall the model) that Seiko made a several years ago and that’s it. Same with guns, with a couple sentimental exceptions, if it’s not being used, it doesn’t stick around.
    I’ve got a soft spot for the Explorer since my father had a 70’s Explorer on his wrist since I was born. When I found out years ago that he traded it on a newer Rolex I almost shit myself. I would’ve loved to have that watch. I vote for the Explorer!
    Oh man that’s freaking heartbreaking! Well I hope he replaced it with something worthwhile, and as long as he’s happy with it. I sense a bit of bias towards the Explorer 😝 and rightfully so.

Another picture to stay on topic
    Name:  IMG_8166.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  29.2 KB

Question for the Automatic fans, if you don’t wear an Auto often and don’t use a winder. What is better store the watch with zero power and reset/wind when you do or manually wind it every other/few days. For longevity, care and best for the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Question for the Automatic fans, if you don’t wear an Auto often and don’t use a winder. What is better store the watch with zero power and reset/wind when you do or manually wind it every other/few days. For longevity, care and best for the watch.
    As I understand it, it makes no difference. You still should send it in for service at the required time whether its on a winder or not; that has much more of an effect on longevity.

Personally, I just let them rest (sometimes for months at a time) and rewind and reset when I wear them.

The only auto that I think benefits from a winder is the one with the type of complication that one could easily mess up during resetting, such as a perpetual calendar or one that you just don't want to take the time to reset, such a moon phase (often you find both on the same watch).
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Putting it on a winder unnecessarily puts wear and tear on the watch. The newer synthetic lubricants are better at staying put than lubricants from past years. Letting the watch run down and stop will preserve longevity. The watch will not need to be serviced from just sitting stopped.

On a semi-related subject avoid complications you do not need. A moon phase, for example, was much more important when portable lighting was not as good as it is today. It is one more thing to break and several more parts to be taken apart and inspected during a service. Limiting the complications to those you actually need minimizes the service cost.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    On a semi-related subject avoid complications you do not need. A moon phase, for example, was much more important when portable lighting was not as good as it is today. It is one more thing to break and several more parts to be taken apart and inspected during a service. Limiting the complications to those you actually need minimizes the service cost.
    Do you even haute horlogerie bro?

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

That is quite the impressive watch for those with an extra $100k burning a hole in their pocket! It is genuinely fascinating how the engineers and watchmakers manage to get a mechanical device that tiny to perform all of those functions.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

That is quite the impressive watch for those with an extra $100k burning a hole in their pocket! It is genuinely fascinating how the engineers and watchmakers manage to get a mechanical device that tiny to perform all of those functions.
    Impressive indeed!

Since it keeps track of the month, does it know to skip the 31st on the appropriate months? Also, what does the 6, 12, 18, and 24 on the left hand dial signify?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Impressive indeed!

Since it keeps track of the month, does it know to skip the 31st on the appropriate months? Also, what does the 6, 12, 18, and 24 on the left hand dial signify?
    Yes it does, that’s the whole purpose of the perpetual calendar. If it can’t do that it’s just an annual calendar. In this particular watch, the calendar and moonphase are synched and reportedly will remain accurate for a few hundred years.

I do not know what those numbers are for. While, I enjoy looking at them, my knowledge of “grandes complications” is minimal.

Google JLC’s Reverso Hybris Mechanica. You will be amazed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Impressive indeed!

The 6, 12, 18, and 24 show the 24 hour time.

User Tag List