Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Doubtful. I've approached SIG about it a couple of times, but my history with the company won't be soon forgotten. Neither am I a popular figure given the times I've pointed out their QC/QA issues. I'd be impressed (and amazed) if SIG was willing to "put up or shut up," but from their viewpoint I doubt they think I'd be a fair reviewer.
    You can always buy it off the shelf like you did with the Glock 17.

I would get an American made frame with the new larger extractor just to take it all the way to the extreme. Since many of the Sig collectors think those are the end of the world.

You know only recently has my arsenal of M&Ps start to rival my collection of Sigs, I bought quite a few of them over the few years I was shooting Sigs. Though I am still a couple of years away from reaching the round count I have with Sigs I didn't keep records those early years but based on what I had the final couple of years I probably have around 50k through the main Sigs.

My favorite is still this fella right here:

It doesn't look nearly as good now, as there is an almost permanent stain of gun powder on the front inch of the slide. You know I should probably pull her out to make sure she is still in good condition.

John, I just sent a 225 into Sig for a SRT and action job, and that is a 90's pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Does the SRT work with all versions of the P229? I would definitely like to try it out, but mine is a pre 94 model.

I would also like to give it a go on my P220, but it is older as well.
    I installed SRT on this pistol:

P220 with the original thin serrated trigger, old style main spring (which got replaced with the new plastic base), 9mm. No issues whatsoever. Though I should point out that I used one of the earlier versions ones that didn't come with the decocking lever. The new ones come with a decocking lever for the P220 so I am not sure if they fit.

Oh for those that don't know, Top Gun Supply sells SRT kits now. You no longer have to go through an armorer (including the ones online that were selling them for $100 when Sig sold them at a price point that supported a $55 MSRP) or Sig.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-srt-kits/

We are diminished
    Last I knew -- and I'm definitely not up to date -- the SRT would work in any 9mm, .40, or 357 pistol. However, a different trigger spring was needed for the P239... something the company didn't figure out until after delivering a thousand pistols to an agency that promptly began breaking the springs.

As for a self-funded SIG test, I don't see it in the same light as the Glock test. The gen4 Glock was just coming out and people were clamoring for information about it. I received countless requests from people to test it. There wasn't decades of information about the gun already out there. And, unlike the SIG, I didn't personally have years of serious training with one so (like the 1911) it was something new and interesting for me. I was also able to get quite a bit of unofficial support from Glock whereas anyone at SIG who tried to help me with a P229 test would probably get fired.

Finally, on a personal note, I just don't see investing five figures of my own money to support a company that fired me unceremoniously.

I know where you're coming from!

Now to find a couple SRT Kits...Top Gun Supply is out and I won't pay a premium : )
    Last edited by John Ralston; 02-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I prefer the 229s faster slide movement, but that's about it. I prefer the 226, over the 229, because:
    What are you describing here? The time from slide lock to battery?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    What are you describing here? The time from slide lock to battery?
    The slide velocity. From bang to slide fully retracted, to fully closed.

Double post.

I carry a Sig P226 daily and have done so for about 12 years now. Ungodly amount of rounds via my training P226 as it is the most fired pistol that I have. I prefer the 226 over the 229 also. I also utilize an SRT trigger set up. Might be doing some serious testing of the upcoming P227 but some details need to be worked out.

Todd - I should be in Exeter in April. I can drop your name and see how they feel about getting you a 229 to beat on. Or should I just keep that one to myself.

Just finished a range session with my 2012 226R with SRT, Heinie sights and otherwise stock.

I am 2,300 rounds since new, without a stoppage or cleaning. Just ran a bore snake thru the barrel three times and lubed the rails.

Was shooting at 50 yards, verifying my exact rear sight position (took some fiddling with the brass punch). Worst 5 shot group was 6 or 7 inches, and best five shot group at 50 yards was under four inches. I was also doing press outs strong and support hand only at 7 yards to the 3x5, and really enjoying the rolling DA trigger on shot one, at which time shot 2 hitting is a given if you don't go to sleep. I finished up with DA press outs to an 8 inch steel at 50 yards.

Slide stop interference is still giving me intermittent problems -- may have to do the JV dremel fix.

User Tag List