Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a used HK p30

Buying a used HK p30

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on what issues to look for in a used P30?

I realize the normal characteristics of burrs, whether or not it's been used or dropped excessively etc. Beyond knowing that Todd ran the snot out of one and Darryl is a big fan I am just wondering if there is anything special to keep an eye out for?

Thanks ahead of time

There isn't any known issues regarding the P30.

Besides the normal stuff like round count, I would want to know:

1) Does it have stock sights, and if not who installed them, as folks have dinged up slides trying to use a sight pusher on certain types of sights on the P30.

2) Has it had any trigger work -- stock or Gray Guns good, Bill Springfield bad.

3) What springs (TLG, light LEM, etc.) and who put them in.

4) TRS installed by JodyH, good and fast!

Plan on a new trigger return spring if you plan to carry it and it has any significant round count.
    Last edited by GJM; 04-21-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: 4) Jody
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you're concerned with who installed the springs then you should also be concerned with whether it's ever been detail stripped.

Annoying but addressable with some ingenuity: on many P30's the right-side slide release lever rattles. If you get one that doesn't rattle, that's great and a definite plus for the gun. If it rattles, no big deal -- a bit of appropriately sized heatshrink tubing and a heat source will take care of that.

To expand a bit on what GJM said -- if it still has the stock trigger return spring, you're probably going to want to have a spare on hand to replace it. If the TRS is owner-installed, you're almost certainly going to want to proactively replace it, as it's not uncommon for the unskilled to scratch/nick the TRS during install and dramatically shorten its life.

If the owner has replaced any of the springs (e.g. converted a light LEM to a TGS LEM) then ask if they have the original springs, and to please include them with the gun. At some point you may want to swap one or more of the OEM springs back in to tune the gun to your liking. I went back to a heavy FBPS to get tactile feedback while prepping the trigger on my otherwise TGS-spec LEM gun, for example.

Also ask if they've removed any of the four roll pins (extractor, firing pin, mag release, backstrap) and if so, whether they've put in fresh ones. If they have put in fresh ones, ask them to include some spares as perfectly good non-HK roll pins frequently come in 25-packs. I buy mine from mcmaster.com by the 25-pack, but do reuse installed roll pins at least once each unless I can't remember the last time I replaced it with a new one.

A rough estimate as to how many rounds have gone through the gun is nice, as that will help you anticipate the 20-25K mark for replacing the recoil spring assembly.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    If you're concerned with who installed the springs then you should also be concerned with whether it's ever been detail stripped.
    My concern would be if the installer tried to improve the trigger by modifying springs. I was on the receiving end of that and it led to failures to fire, and ultimately a trip back to HK.

Besides the normal stuff like round count, I would want to know:

1) Does it have stock sights, and if not who installed them, as folks have dinged up slides trying to use a sight pusher on certain types of sights on the P30.

2) Has it had any trigger work -- stock or Gray Guns good, Bill Springfield bad.

Plan on a new trigger return spring if you plan to carry it and it has any significant round count.
    This. I want stock, craptastic luminova sights or installs done by Heinie. I prefer pics of rails so I can determine if the seller can accurately determine round counts. As well as breachface and underside of slide. After 75K rounds over multiple new and used P30 pistols I know what expected wear shows up. I'm picking up another come Wednesday actually.
    Taking a break from social media.

My concern would be if the installer tried to improve the trigger by modifying springs. I was on the receiving end of that and it led to failures to fire, and ultimately a trip back to HK.
    Didn't you have more than one?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    This. I want stock, craptastic luminova sights or installs done by Heinie. I prefer pics of rails so I can determine if the seller can accurately determine round counts. As well as breachface and underside of slide. After 75K rounds over multiple new and used P30 pistols I know what expected wear shows up. I'm picking up another come Wednesday actually.
    Trying LEM, finally?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Didn't you have more than one?
    A half dozen, although initially I only got five back. Found the sixth under his sofa. You get what you pay for with HK trigger work.

User Tag List