Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G34 vs G17 vs G19 ....

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    For me the 17/19 was faster on the draw and on transitions and the 34 was faster on splits.
    I went with the 17 because the draw and transitions add up to a lot more time than splits do.
    Jody,

How much faster was the 17 on the draw than the 34?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Jody,

How much faster was the 17 on the draw than the 34?
    I can't remember now, but from an iwb it was noticeable.

double-Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have always shot better with 'Commander' size handguns. Possibley because I shot IPSC back in the 70's with a Colt Commander. Out of all my Glocks (I have 9) I am most accurate with my G19.

Well, I seem to have lost the long response I typed out.

In short, the 34 has been my go to gun for a long time in anything but carry. I've fired more rounds, been to more classes, shot more matches with it than all other handguns combined. With that in mind, my 19 held my best IDPA Classifier time for a couple YEARS until I beat it with the 34 (82 secs for the 19, 79 for the 34). The 17 has always been the extra gun that was never shot and traded away if I ever picked one up.

This year I've wanted to run a 17 only for everything and see if there really was any advantage to the 34 and if it was any better than the 19. So far, my performance as been approximately the same as the 34, and for ME it has an edge over the 19. I have found that I really like the slightly larger grip of the 17/34, which gives me a little extra confidence in my shooting. Reloads are a little easier and drawing the gun is a bit faster. I believe this is due to my experience with the 34.

For now, I'd recommend the 34 as the sight radius seems to help for longer distance shots. Ask me again at the end of the year and it may be different after some more experience with the 17. Against the 17, so far all else is equal if you put a minus connector and an extended mag release on it. If you believe in the using the same gun for carry/competition/etc the 19 certainly won't hold you back.

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    For now, I'd recommend the 34 as the sight radius seems to help for longer distance shots. Ask me again at the end of the year and it may be different after some more experience with the 17. Against the 17, so far all else is equal if you put a minus connector and an extended mag release on it. If you believe in the using the same gun for carry/competition/etc the 19 certainly won't hold you back.
    Well, you saw me shoot the 17 in the classifier this weekend (my 34 is at GLOCK right now).

I have to say I felt really good shooting it. I felt more confident than with a 19 at the longer distances and it seemed to be faster to present and move than a 34. I am going to shoot the 17 for a while and see how it goes.

My time with the 17 was 14 seconds faster than the last run with my 34 a couple of weeks ago. That also included 3 ammo related malfunctions (bad primers). I need to drop 10 more seconds to make Expert but feel it is within my grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Well, you saw me shoot the 17 in the classifier this weekend (my 34 is at GLOCK right now).

I have to say I felt really good shooting it. I felt more confident than with a 19 at the longer distances and it seemed to be faster to present and move than a 34. I am going to shoot the 17 for a while and see how it goes.

My time with the 17 was 14 seconds faster than the last run with my 34 a couple of weeks ago. That also included 3 ammo related malfunctions (bad primers). I need to drop 10 more seconds to make Expert but feel it is within my grasp.
    In your instance, you've been running the 17 a little better. Based on your results, stick with it and see what happens. I know you can get Expert no problem with the 17. I'm digging on my 17 right now..

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    In your instance, you've been running the 17 a little better. Based on your results, stick with it and see what happens. I know you can get Expert no problem with the 17. I'm digging on my 17 right now..
    Which 17 is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Which 17 is that?
    One of "limited availability." It's listed in the 2000rd challenge.

User Tag List