Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I Love TN

Site Supporter
    There's something unique in the Texas Bill. It makes it a crime (misdemeanor) for any Texas LE to aid Federal LE enforcement of any bans/restrictions. We all know the notion of arresting Feds will fall to the Supremacy Clause, but the Texas proposal virtually guarantees that no Texas resources can be used to implement a Federal ban. I'm sure the Feds would offset the extra costs to them with funding cuts, but, it's a fun game to watch played out..

Here's an opinion from a TX lawyer and NRA board member..

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Cotton
    Rep. Otto's HB553 takes a unique approach to the issue of enforcement of certain federal laws, regulations and presidential executive orders (collectively referred to as "federal provisions"). Unlike many bills filed and/or passed around the country, HB553 creates an offense for any Texas peace officer enforcing or assisting in the enforcement of such federal provisions. The Bill also creates a separate offense for federal agents doing likewise, but those provisions are clearly unconstitutional and will not be enforceable.

If HB553 passes, Texas peace officers will have every reason to refuse to participate in the enforcement of these federal provisions. It's important to note that merely allowing a federal officer to use a Texas peace officer's office, telephone, computer, or city map would expose the Texas officer to criminal prosecution. Most COPS I know would love to see this pass and would be even happier to tell a federal agent "sorry, I can't help you." Undoubtedly, the Texas COP's face would look something like this .

I must admit that I've come full circle on the issue of passing legislation that purports to invalidate federal laws and/or creating offenses for federal agents enforcing federal provisions. Those laws are unconstitutional without question, but a number of states are filing such bills and if enough of them are passed, it sends a strong signal to Washington. I think it is important that we educate Texans on the fact that they are not going to be enforceable so they do not engage in acts that violate federal law and will land them in a federal prison.

Chas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Do these laws only affect future laws, our do they apply to ALL federal gun laws, including the NFA/GCA?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Do these laws only affect future laws, our do they apply to ALL federal gun laws, including the NFA/GCA?
    Depends on how it's written.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I love it!
    With all the people moving to Texas, maybe this is how we make sure we get the right ones.
    Gun owner? No state taxes!
    Not a gun owner? Ooh, sorry, that's 15% off the top

This bill passed the Alaska House yesterday, 31-5. Our legislature is nuts, and I love it lol.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/politi...9bb30f31a.html
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

User Tag List