Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked P30 slide upon sight install

Cracked P30 slide upon sight install

So I send out my brand new P30 slide with a set of Heinie Straight Eights to be installed. What I received was a bit of a surprise. You can see in the attached photo what I am talking about. To say that I am pissed is a an understatement. The installer called to inform me that the was slide was on its way home and that there was a slight wrinkle in the sight itself due to the pressure needed to install. He offered to refund the cost of install or order a new set of sights and have those installed. I said that a slight cosmetic blemish is not a concearn as it will more than likely be well used in six months anyway. I said that as long as the Tritium vials and slide itself is fine, there is nothing to worry about.
    http://db.tt/pXbwurQ5

Certainly looks like a stress crack to me. I can actually catch my finger nail on the edge. So what the hell do I do? Can I order a new slide from HK with a matching serial number? Can I even order a slide directly? Do I demand he buys me a new gun? I did not fire a single round through it before I shipped the slide.

Please don't ask me the name of the shop, as I am giving him a chance to return my call and make things right.
    Taking a break from social media.

This happened to a friend, and Sam at HK got him another slide.

that doesn't look good to me. I would have him buy me a new gun. If the pressure that was necessary to install the sights was so great, he should have filed the sight down a little bit, before forcing it in.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: I fit my HK sights so they're just a bit tighter than slip fit. You don't have to pound on them to get them in, but finger pressure alone isn't enough. Those 2 set screws are fairly beefy, and when combined with loctite, it's not going to budge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    he should have filed the sight down a little bit, before forcing it in.
    Absolutely.

Those sights are known to require fitting and filing prior to installation. Sorry about the new piece, dude. HK can get you a new slide at a cost, but the serial #'s won't match, too much hassle for HK and they won't even offer to endure the hassle.

I see my options as the following.

A) Have dude buy me a new slide with a serial # that does not match and new HS8Qs
    Not fond of mismatched parts.

B) Have him buy me a new gun and new HS8Qs
    Good deal for me.

C) Have him buy me a new gun, new HS8Qs, and I transfer my entire gun, cracked slide and all to his FFL.
    At least he gets something out of it.

D) Take some $ amount and suck it up and say lesson learned.

Looks like of the options I laid out (C) is the most fair
    Taking a break from social media.

Wow!!!!!! What a hack job! That guy def doesn't know what he's doing. If the sight doesn't go with minimal force you're supposed to stop & file down a bit. I would def demand an entire new gun.

I wouldn't be too tough on the installer, as without naming names, very experienced HK gunsmiths have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wouldn't be too tough on the installer, as without naming names, very experienced HK gunsmiths have done the same thing.
    Have they sent the slide back or did they replace it? I see no reason to jump all over the guy for doing a tough job and having one of the many probably outcomes happen but if they screw it up and pass it off as a "mysterious wrinkle" then there should be some discussion.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List