Thread: Shooting to the left...

Shooting to the left...

Howdy folks, first time poster here.

Looking for a little guidance from those of you wiser and more experienced. I bought my first pistol recently, a Smith and Wesson M&P40. I took it out today to get a feel for it, and by and large, my groups were all left of point of aim. In and of themselves, the groups were nothing to write home about, although they weren't to bad for my first time out with a new pistol as a relatively inexperienced shooter. I would assume the fault lies with me, somewhere in my grip or trigger pull, but with the exception of a few range trips, I'm fairly new to pistols and lack the knowledge to make a solid diagnosis. Is shooting left typically indicative of any particular bad habit? I don't have access to a ransom rest, so I can't rule out completely that it's the pistol, although I find that highly unlikely. 99 times out of a 100, it's the indian, not the arrow. Would appreciate any help or insight that anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance,
    Squall

Site Supporter
    There are some good tips in this thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-Trigger-Press

Thanks for the link JV. Sounds like I need to pay close attention to my grip. I'll have to watch those videos when I get my kids to bed, little hard to pay attention right now.

Maybe this might help a little? Assuming you're a righty:

Attachment 1319
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Are you aiming with one eye or both?

It could be an eye dominance issue- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance
    :
    Also, try shooting off a rest. This may help to figure out if you are pushing the gun or if it is another issue.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Have you had anyone else shoot it? Could just be a sight adjustment.

NETim, I'll take that out next time I shoot, and give it a go, thanks. Looking at it, Seems to be in keeping with the thread JV linked to initially.

SecoundsCount, I'm right eye dominant, and that's the eye I'm using to aim. I've used shotguns and a bow since I was a kid, so I'm accustomed to aiming in principle, just trying to transition to a new platform. I'll be mindful though, I think if altering my finger placement on the trigger or adapting my grip doesn't address it, I'm going to have to hunt for a rest.

John Ralston, My father shot a few mags through it too, but he was all over the place. He's as inexperienced as I am, and I don't think he's done much research on technique or handguns in general (He's a dyed in the wool fudd) so I don't know that he's a good basis for comparison. I'd also like to absolutely rule out me being the issue before I start moving things around. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    I've used shotguns and a bow since I was a kid, so I'm accustomed to aiming in principle, just trying to transition to a new platform. I'll be mindful though, I think if altering my finger placement on the trigger or adapting my grip doesn't address it, I'm going to have to hunt for a rest.
    Give it some time. Being a first time pistol shooter, you are experiencing what a lot of people do and are still figuring out the finger placement and grip that works best for you. Pistols are not forgiving to anyone, especially newer shooters that are figuring out trigger control, grip, recoil management, etc. If you know anyone experienced with pistols, have them watch and critique, or get some instruction. Out of curiosity, you haven't mentioned if you are shooting with both eyes open. I assume, with the shotgun experience you have, you are probably applying the same "eyes open" approach to the pistol, but I'm just curious. Most defensive shooting instructors will teach an eyes open technique for several reasons. Speed of target acquisition and periphal vision being 2 of the more important.

Bocephus, I generally kept both eyes open, although when I moved back from 7 yards I caught myself squinting my non-dominant eye a few times. It wasn't really conscious. I guess that's something else I'll need to pay attention to going forward.

User Tag List