Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun question...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Doesn't a 20 recoil more than a 12 when comparing loads ounce per ounce? That is why you don't see much of anyone shooting 20's for clays...but maybe it's an old wives tale.
    The physics of actual recoil is simple -- shot mass(and powder mass, if you're being precise) x velocity vs. gun mass(weight). Smaller shot charges, slower velocities, and heavier guns all reduce recoil. So if you're shooting 1-ounce loads at the same velocity in a 12 and a 20, and the 20 weighs a pound less, it's going to recoil more.

FELT recoil is much more complex -- action type, gun fit, shooter size and skill, recoil pad selection, noise level, and many other factors are involved. A gas-operated semi-auto will usually have less felt recoil than a pump or double. The semi spreads the recoil impulse out over a longer time.

For the same shot weight, the larger diameter of a 12 supposedly produces slightly better patterns.

Clay target shooters usually prefer heavier guns to minimize recoil, as do waterfowl folks who hunt from blinds. Upland hunters who walk more than they shoot tend to prefer lighter guns.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-10-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    So, I don't need a shotgun for breaching or launching less-lethal rounds or shooting engine blocks or any of that tactical stuff. The only thing I would potentially ever need a shotgun for is shooting a bad guy in my house.

Given this, is there any real downside to using a youth model 20ga? Those little 870s are such handy-looking pieces, and a lot easier on the shoulder than a twelve bore fowling piece.
    A 12ga with low recoil/LE loads, a youth/short LOP stock, and solid modern stance will work as well and be just as shootable if not moreso. We run ladies, youth, IBOs, and big boys using same, and the most common feedback is "more ammo, please."

A 20ga isn't unserviceable, but I don't believe you're gaining as much as you might perceive.

The bigger issue with the smaller statured on pumps is reach to the forearm and operating it effectively. Use the longer sporting forearms, or the available extended models, for best results.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'd wholeheartedly agree with skintop911 on this one.

A few years ago, I was contemplating obtaining a 20-ga that my wife could easily use for HD if need be. Then, I stumbled across the reduced recoil Flightcontrol buckshot, and decided there was no point to messing with a 20.

I suppose if one was intending to go semiauto rather than pump, there might be a reliability edge to a full power 20 over a reduced recoil 12 in some platforms, but otherwise I don't see it as being a worthwhile tradeoff, given the current ammo choices. IMHO, anyway.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    All of the 20 gauge buckshot that I know of is full power, while much of the stuff in 12 can be had in low recoil loadings, and that some of this (8 pellet Remington OO buck as an example) is VERY low recoil.
    I'm only bothered by the recoil when it comes to a day or two's worth of shooting; a mag tube or two is no big deal.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm only bothered by the recoil when it comes to a day or two's worth of shooting; a mag tube or two is no big deal.
    -- Tam, have you had a chance to train with Rob Haught or anyone who expressly focuses on (to coin a phrase -- I don't think Mr. Haught coins many phrases) isometric recoil reduction? Recommended.

Not that I would get in your way for liking something a little more lithe -- I've got a couple of 16s at home.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    -- Tam, have you had a chance to train with Rob Haught or anyone who expressly focuses on (to coin a phrase -- I don't think Mr. Haught coins many phrases) isometric recoil reduction? Recommended.

Not that I would get in your way for liking something a little more lithe -- I've got a couple of 16s at home.

Looks good.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    My experience training females with shotguns mirrors what others here have said. A 12 ga 870 with a short stock and low recoil loads kicks less than a light 20 ga with full power ammo. Go with an 18" barrel, a one shot mag extension, and a youth stock and I think you will be happy.

My wife started on a 20 ga 870 and after shooting my short stocked 12 ga sold her gun and had me set up a 12 ga just like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    My experience training females with shotguns mirrors what others here have said. A 12 ga 870 with a short stock and low recoil loads kicks less than a light 20 ga with full power ammo. Go with an 18" barrel, a one shot mag extension, and a youth stock and I think you will be happy.

My wife started on a 20 ga 870 and after shooting my short stocked 12 ga sold her gun and had me set up a 12 ga just like mine.
    I have to agree. A well fitted shotgun goes a long way toward comfortable shooting.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Wink

Tam,
    Don't you know?
    Just racking a pump shotgun is all you need to scare away a bad guy (insert sarcasm)

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The bigger issue with the smaller statured on pumps is reach to the forearm and operating it effectively. Use the longer sporting forearms, or the available extended models, for best results.
    It's not really a size thing. I'm "EHRMA GERD DIDJU PLAY BASKITBALL?" inches tall.

It originally comes from standing around behind the counter six years ago and coonfingering a couple of Youth Model 20ga 870s and wondering aloud whether a round of #3 buck from one at 5 yards was that much less effective than a twelve bore, especially given how light and nimble the 20ga 870 receiver was...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List