Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun question...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Shotgun question...

So, I don't need a shotgun for breaching or launching less-lethal rounds or shooting engine blocks or any of that tactical stuff. The only thing I would potentially ever need a shotgun for is shooting a bad guy in my house.

Given this, is there any real downside to using a youth model 20ga? Those little 870s are such handy-looking pieces, and a lot easier on the shoulder than a twelve bore fowling piece.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Nope. That would be a great choice.The great thing about the 870 is literally the endless ways to fit & tailor it to your specific likes/needs.

I think Ayoob had data on the 20 gauge 870s being far less reliable than the 12 gauge version but that may be a dated idea.

I do know that almost all self defense ammo R&D has been in the 12 gauge flavor.

All of the 20 gauge buckshot that I know of is full power, while much of the stuff in 12 can be had in low recoil loadings, and that some of this (8 pellet Remington OO buck as an example) is VERY low recoil. Some of the low recoil OO buck I have fired hasn't kicked any harder than the low brass Winchester trap loads we use for some of our training.

I have the first 20ga 870 that Wilson Combat put out. It's a great little shotgun, and handles better with a 20" bbl than most 14" 12ga pump guns. My only issue has been finding suitable defensive loads. Nobody seems to make anything heavier than #4 in a 2-3/4"shell. If Federal made a #1 flite control loading, I'd about soil my drawers.

Site Supporter
    If you like the BOT, http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm

Lessons learned:
    1. As we have shown time and time again, birdshot is for little birds, not for bad guys. It makes a nasty, shallow wound, but is not a good "Stopper".

2. I was surprised by the penetration of the #3 Buckshot in the 20 gauge. It performed much better than I would have expected. I would not be too quick to discount Buckshot in a 20 Gauge for home defense.

3. 00 Buck in the 12 Gauge was excellent.

4. The Slug in the 20 did not perform very well. For some reason, it broke up into small pieces.

5. Once again, the 12 Gauge Slug amazes us. It was devastating! Penetration was 5 jugs or almost 30 inches. That is equivalent to almost 15 inches of penetration of flesh.
    I'm probably just repeating something you already read and were coming here for first-hand feedback..
    Just thought I'd post this for others..

Cheers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I think Ayoob had data on the 20 gauge 870s being far less reliable than the 12 gauge version but that may be a dated idea.
    I've got that old book. He says that he prefers the 870 in 12 gauge and the 500 in 20, but I don't think there's any data other than his own observations.

Federal has 2 3/4" #3 and #4 buck loads and a 3" #2 load. http://www.federalpremium.com/products/buckshot.aspx
    I don't know of any reduced-recoil 20 gauge buckshot loads.

I've got a 20-gauge 500 Bantam. It does handle nicely. I can say from experience that full-power buckshot in a light 20 can be less comfortable than reduced-recoil buckshot in a heavier 12. IMO, the best reason to go for a 20 over a 12 is if the user has small hands and a 12 is just too big to handle comfortably. Proper fit has a huge effect on felt recoil.

My experience has been that "too big and heavy" often means "too long and unbalanced". Weight is usually not a problem for smaller shooters if the gun balances correctly, but that may take some modifications.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.

The guys at BOT always miss the details, but get a general idea. Irks me that they always use #8 birdshot as if that's the only size birdshot made. One LEO that Tam and I know once mentioned that he had worked three shootings where a 12 ga loaded with # 7 1/2s worked just fine. For quite a number of years my go to load for HD (live in a sub-division) was #2s. Now it's "BB" shot for the first rounds...

Tam, I really liked my 870 Youth and only sold it as I got a great deal on an 1100 20 ga. I've seen plenty of deer killed with either #2 or #3 buckshot and it works just fine.

Peter, thanks for the heads up on the 20 ga #4 buck. I didn't know Federal was making that.

Doesn't a 20 recoil more than a 12 when comparing loads ounce per ounce? That is why you don't see much of anyone shooting 20's for clays...but maybe it's an old wives tale.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've got a 20-gauge 500 Bantam. It does handle nicely. I can say from experience that full-power buckshot in a light 20 can be less comfortable than reduced-recoil buckshot in a heavier 12.
    When I was a kid, I saw a grown man drop my brother's single shot youth 20ga upon firing it.......with birdshot.

Girly men.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have been doing some serious (??!?) thinking about this exact topic myself lately.

The missus is about 5 foot nothing and 120 lbs, however, she really enjoys shooting shotguns when I have taken her out to the range. I have an old 870 Police that I keep handy for me, but wanted her to have a long gun available too. I was leaning towards the Mossberg 930 SPX 20 gauge, but then wondered if a reduced recoil 12 pump gun with a youth stock would be a better choice.

Hopefully I can gain some insight from this thread!

User Tag List