Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Trigger Press

Glock Trigger Press

After the tens of thousands of rounds and dollars spent on training with various Glocks, you'd think I'd know the answer to this question. But, I humbly ask your expert opinion on the subject of why Glock shooters tend to shoot to the weak hand side (trending left for right handers, right for left handers), and how to best address the issue besides shoving the rear sight all the way to one side or the other.

If this horse has been beaten already, my search skills are deficient, and I'll be happy to review any links you have.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kevin

IMO one frequent cause is engaging all the fingers of the dominant hand in a rotational or constricting squeezing motion during the trigger press. Eliminating that and actually only gripping hard with only fore-aft force may fix the malady. I've done some taping up a a shooters pinkie as if they'd broken it to get it removed from the equation. It seemd to work on educating the shooter on what they should be doing in the dominant hand grip.

I "think" this is one of the reasons we see so many shooters that are gun enthusiasts (but not PF level training volume) report they shoot a G26 more accurately than a full gripped model. Their pinkie is removed from corrupting the trigger press.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I tend to do this with Glocks. I was about to buy another G19 and see if I could work on the issue when The Excitement started and magazines became unobtainable. For me it wasn't the milking described by JHC. When I grip a Glock with my forearm in line with the slide, the tip of my index finger barely reaches the midpoint of the trigger face. I therefore sideload the trigger and push the gun weakways during the press. I was hoping Gen 4 would make this less of an issue.

JHC - I'm familiar with milking, but that tends to be more dramatic, in my experience. I know in my case, since both of my pinkies are only semi-functional due to hand injuries, it's not the cause of my left-leaning-ness.

I've been told it's too much finger on the trigger, or two little finger on the trigger, but I can tell you, I watched one of my problem pistoleers wrap his VERY long finger almost through to the second joint on his G19 trigger, and his rounds were still hitting right of center (he was left handed).

Keep the thoughts coming, though - there's got to be an answer somewhere!

Regards,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've been told it's too much finger on the trigger, or two little finger on the trigger, but I can tell you, I watched one of my problem pistoleers wrap his VERY long finger almost through to the second joint on his G19 trigger, and his rounds were still hitting right of center (he was left handed).
    That makes sense. Picture what's going on there. I don't have a gun here at my desk at work to demonstrate, but you can use your left hand to visualize what he's doing there. If you try to pull an imaginary trigger with your left index finger, and that trigger is pushed up against the second joint, try to visualize how he could pull the trigger through its complete cycle. I can hardly create any travel fore-aft (trigger pull direction) without my finger bending at the knuckle, where it meets my palm, and thereby inducing a horizontal component to the force vector i am applying to the trigger. Pushing towards the right.

ETA:
    He teacheth my fingers to fight, but they need practice to pull a trigger:

Trying it, having something gripped by the other fingers also plays a role in how well I can control the rotational effect...
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-10-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

What really has help my learn my glock is a really gripping my gun hard. Almost to the point of my hands shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    What really has help my learn my glock is a really gripping my gun hard. Almost to the point of my hands shaking.
    Yes I think this is getting to be considered best practice. FWIW I can recall a few years back a lot of shooters pursuing 30/70 ratios etc excoriate Ayoob for his "crush grip" advocacy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The day after extended shooting sessions, my forearms are more sore than any workout at the gym from gripping the shit out of the gun. If I start getting fatigued or lazy accuracy goes down the shitter.

I found a 3.5lb connector will allow more slack in the grip but I prefer the firmer stop after initial take-up that the 5.5lb trigger offers.

Interesting. I come from a weaver background, but I've been working some on modifying it (I still need to find a site and time for some specific instruction). I wonder if a modified grip will permit me to have less trouble with the GLOCK. We'll see, as soon as I can buy hi caps for something less than a mint each.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I do quite a bit of shooting with Glocks and get asked a lot of inquiries about the issues that many seem to have in relationship to the Glock pistol in particular. I am often asked about my grip and my thoughts on running a trigger. Video is the easiest way to relay my thoughts on what can be a complex topic.

In this video I address the Glock specifically.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMrsFZDwF8

In this video I go into great detail on the trigger pull. This is not a short video and might go a bit too much into detail for many people but the trigger pull is huge when it comes to accuracy and precision.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlAm...notation_97335

User Tag List