Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for a sense of innate accuracy.

Shooting for a sense of innate accuracy.

So I managed to score a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my M&P 40 so now I can run 9 too. I haven't wrung it out at distance to see what it can really do yet. I've never really been "scientific" when doing shit like this and I figured if anyone had a system for doing this someone here would.

When you're shooting at 25 do you guys have a particular number of rounds that you always shoot to test the innate accuracy of the weapon? 5 rds, 10 rds per group? Just curious.

I think 10 round strings on a B8 target at 25 yards are generally considered a pretty good standard for testing the accuracy of a given pistol.

IMO while shooting offhand at 25 yards is awesome training and evidence of what the shooter can do; to check mechanical accuracy I think it's useful to take a solid rest across sandbags or a pack etc; seated. Like checking a rifle from the bench.

While no doubt 10 rounds may be statistically sound - 10 requires dramatically more sustained focus and execution that the long standard of 5 shots at 25 yards. So for most; 10 round groups is going to introduce a LOT more shooter variable.

Work both.

And you'll need some quality ammunition. Again IMO, UMC, WWB, Blazer, Federal red box; all the cheaper training loads leave a lot to be desired accuracy wise. Speer Gold Dot has consistently shown me to be on of the more accurate loadings. American Eagle 147 is reasonably priced and has shown itself to be very accurate. I think there is a whole thread here somewhere about the AE 147 grain.

Gold Dot, HST, Ranger, and Corbon have shown me excellent accuracy. The old Federal 9BP 115 grain JHP also always demonstrated great accuracy in my guns but I haven't seen any on a shelf for quite some time. The RWS 115 grain FMJ "match grade" I just started a thread on appears to be very consistent ammo for the most part.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I use 5, 5-shot groups to avoid the fatigue problem, but still have a sufficient number of shots to be confident of the results.

To some degree it also depends on what method you are using to measure spread. Theoretically you want the median distance from a center point... but that's kind of annoying to calculate. If you just use maximum spread, you are always going to get a bigger result the more rounds you fire, as there is more chance for an outlier/flier on your part.

The average of multiple five round groups tends to smooth out some of that variance and give you a better picture.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I use 5, 5-shot groups to avoid the fatigue problem, but still have a sufficient number of shots to be confident of the results.
    +1
    Pure slow fire fundamental accuracy shooting is fatiguing mentally and physically if you're doing it right.
    3 round "groups" don't show you anything.
    More than 5 and my results get skewed by mental errors.

I fold a 3x5 card in half and try to keep all 5 rounds on that at 25 yards.
    The square shape seems to work well with my sight picture, and the white card on a buff target really stands out.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    +1
    Pure slow fire fundamental accuracy shooting is fatiguing mentally and physically if you're doing it right.
    3 round "groups" don't show you anything.
    More than 5 and my results get skewed by mental errors.

I fold a 3x5 card in half and try to keep all 5 rounds on that at 25 yards.
    The square shape seems to work well with my sight picture, and the white card on a buff target really stands out.
    3x5 folded in half??? Well sure, if you shoot HKs.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    3x5 folded in half??? Well sure, if you shoot HalfKardshooters.
    Sorry couldn't resist
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    3x5 folded in half??? Well sure, if you shoot HKs.
    I did say "try to keep all rounds on it".
    My P2000, 25 yard sight picture just happens to be the 3"x2.5" target setting perfectly atop the front sight.
    Takes some of the guesswork out of the sight alignment and frees up more mental juice for the trigger press.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Sorry couldn't resist
    And why should you???

Just a pure sight picture - makes sense.

User Tag List