Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure speed out of holster

I apologize for the necro post, but I'm bumping this thread for two reason:

1) JodyH and Slavex's posts in this thread are excellent.

2) I am looking for suggestions of other drills, other than command fire (that Slavex posted about) that can help me improve speed of movement off my timers beep. I did some slow motion video and my hand is barely getting to my gun before the beep is over on my concealed draw stroke, and I think that's pretty slow. Basically I want to decrease my reaction time to the beep. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    I apologize for the necro post, but I'm bumping this thread for two reason:

1) JodyH and Slavex's posts in this thread are excellent.

2) I am looking for suggestions of other drills, other than command fire (that Slavex posted about) that can help me improve speed of movement off my timers beep. I did some slow motion video and my hand is barely getting to my gun before the beep is over on my concealed draw stroke, and I think that's pretty slow. Basically I want to decrease my reaction time to the beep. Any suggestions?
    Get the Stoeger dry fire book, "Dry Fire Training," and do the draw micro drills.

I happened to be speaking with Origami tonight, and he was able to hit the head on a USPSA target in .90 something from concealment in the last day or two. He was unhappy he couldn't get in the .80's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Get the Stoeger dry fire book, "Dry Fire Training," and do the draw micro drills.
    This.

You can easily, and I cannot stress "easily" enough, hit .60s from buzzer to sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    So I've bee working on my first shot out, that is, for last 18 months or so. Pressouts, dry and live, watching myself as I draw in a mirror, waste elimination. So far, no dice. My accuracy becomes a thing of random nature when I get to about 2.2 mark (3x5, 24 feet or so).
    Today I decided to figure out how much it takes me just to do the mechanical part - draw, point out at target to the best of my ability but without actual aiming, press the trigger. Two things surprised me. First, 8 out of 10 hits with this point shooting thing. Second, the best I could do was 1.8 seconds. Now, I am not making it easy - relatively tight sweater with compression band at the bottom, strong-side IWB, leather holster, but still.... Am I just too freakin slow, or it's expected with this degree of concealment, or what? Comments, suggestions?
    When I'm not rusty, I'm in the 1.6 or more range from AIWB to a 3x5 and that's after warming up.

A few months ago, a buddy (whom I've smoked on this before and on video) destroyed me on speed and accuracy by trying something different. He was faster and just as accurate. I remember laughing when he told me that he cleared his cover garment with his strong side hand. I wasn't laughing when he burned me down, shooting a small popper at 7-ish yards from concealment.

Anyway, don't be afraid to think out of the box a little.

I think you're in the zone for IWB.
    #RESIST

I happened to be speaking with Origami tonight, and he was able to hit the head on a USPSA target in .90 something from concealment in the last day or two. He was unhappy he couldn't get in the .80's.
    In.
    #RESIST

Oh, I left the important part out -- hit the head at 25 yards in the .90's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting topic.

I'd like to learn more about it, I didn't have much to go on in the past. I've only drawn on a timer once. I'm sure I'm glacial at this point.

Crazy fast and skilled. I've watched a lot of his video's, awesome stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll pick it up.

Right now I think my best 1st shot on a 3.5 card during a timed FAST was 1.85ish. That's with a vest and an OWB holster, using a press out. That was an "I know I hit the 3.5 card" time and cold. I feel like I should be in the 1.6 range, which is what my PAR time is in dry fire.

OAK has the juice! Jesus that's fast! I just watched his video that I assume he was referring too. I hope he doesn't mind that I'm posting it.

This is a great thread with lots of good info that I am eating up.

My issue right now is getting a master grip with drawing from an IWB holster at 4:00. I've been dry fire practicing a lot more lately and I can get a "good" grip fast on my G19 but I am usually adjusting my grip after the shot to my master grip. With the grip tucked into my side nicely it really inhibits my master grip but the concealment is great. When I work on getting my master grip on the draw my speed goes way down. I'm getting a JMCK IWB3 holster soon so I am hoping that will improve things a bit. Should be getting my IWB holster for my 1911 CCO soon too. I am anxious to see the difference in drawing that weapon from IWB.

User Tag List