Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure speed out of holster

Hey, I'm not complaining. Put my money where my mouth was
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    So I've bee working on my first shot out, that is, for last 18 months or so. Pressouts, dry and live, watching myself as I draw in a mirror, waste elimination. So far, no dice. My accuracy becomes a thing of random nature when I get to about 2.2 mark (3x5, 24 feet or so).
    Today I decided to figure out how much it takes me just to do the mechanical part - draw, point out at target to the best of my ability but without actual aiming, press the trigger. Two things surprised me. First, 8 out of 10 hits with this point shooting thing. Second, the best I could do was 1.8 seconds. Now, I am not making it easy - relatively tight sweater with compression band at the bottom, strong-side IWB, leather holster, but still.... Am I just too freakin slow, or it's expected with this degree of concealment, or what? Comments, suggestions?
    Have you tried the Press Six drill yet?

We are diminished
    Am I just too freakin slow, or it's expected with this degree of concealment, or what? Comments, suggestions?
    The question isn't whether you're slower today than someone else. The question is, are you faster today than you were a year ago?

Videotape your draw on the range hitting a reasonably "fast" target such as a sheet of paper or paper plate at 7yd, preferably without a concealment garment for now. Go as fast as you can get your hits, and video five to ten draws. Then video yourself doing a couple of slow, deliberate draws (think half or even quarter speed).

How do the fast draws compare to the slow draws in terms of technique. Are there inconsistencies? Stutters? When you start to go fast, does the economy of motion slip? Are both hands constantly doing things simultaneously or are you going through the drawstroke in discrete serial steps?

Video can be an extremely valuable training tool for many skill related tasks. It can be a very humbling experience critiquing yourself in a video clip.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I can usually get a sub 1.7 hit on an index card at 7 yards, when I'm really moving and warmed up, 1.5x is doable. That's from an untucked polo and an AIWB holster.

What helped me the most was realizing, with the help of ToddG, that I can get my hand on the gun and be working on that grip while the other hand is getting the shirt out of the way. They can be (almost) parallel tasks.
    I could have written this post, word for word.
    #RESIST

That's actually a part I have hard time wrapping my brain around - I do try to move my hands together but until that sweater is out of the way, my strong hand isn't getting on that grip.

Seems like video is the answer for now.

I've spent the last couple of weeks really trying to improve my draw speed thru dry fire practice. I've been really concentrating on three aspects of my draw: 1) a strong, consistant grip in the holster, 2) efficient pressouts, and 3) an overall more relaxed draw stroke. After about a week of focusing on these 3 things in daily practice I noticed what felt like a significant improvement in my draw.

Whatever fraction of time it takes for me to ensure a good grip in the holster seems to set my entire draw on the right track. I didn't use to incorporate a trigger press very often into my draw practice, but to improve my pressouts it seems pretty necessary. So, I have been drawing to an IDPA target @ 6-7 yards (in my basement)while incorporating a trigger press. My pressouts are much improved, but I still have a lot of work to do.

What I have probably noticed the most is how much smoother and quicker my draw is now that I am trying to relax more. When I start "trying too hard" to go fast my times slow down. I could really see this when I started adjusting my par times on my timer.

Two weeks ago at the range, my fastest draws (to an IDPA target @ 7 yds from a Comp Tac paddle holster with my Gen4 Glock 17--no concealment) were hovering around the 1.2s mark. And that was pushing it about as hard as I could and still get most of my A zone hits. To this point I had never broken the 1 second barrier with this gun. Today I finally got back to the range and got probably 20-30 sub 1 second draws. And I didn't feel like I was trying as hard. Granted I wasn't getting all A hits (gotta keep working on my darn trigger press), but two weeks ago I couldn't have broken 1 second to save my life!

This isn't dealing with the speed issue because I'm a turtle in the fast lane but I'll try to address the accuracy issue.

YK...Mr. Grumpy probably said it better (and probably in a more..."tactful" manner) but when you draw and press out, look for where you want the round to go. Your pistol and front sight should come into view and as you track the front sight towars where your sight is focused already, press the shot.

It was reiterated to me in my most recent firearms instructor class and it works.

So does Mr. Grumpy subscribe to a target focus aiming?

I'll have a pleasure of his company in short three weeks; you aren't coming this year?

So does Mr. Grumpy subscribe to a target focus aiming?

I'll have a pleasure of his company in short three weeks; you aren't coming this year?
    I can't speak for Mr. Grumpy himself (and I wouldn't want to because there is a reason why he has that nickname but...) I wouldn't necessarily he subscribes to target focus aiming as with a press out you pick up your front sight as it crosses your sight. I just know that focusing on where I wanted the round to go as I drew, it worked for me as I tracked the front sight when it appeared and the press out was linear to where I was looking.

As for me coming this year, that would be a no joy. Got a wedding to pay for and a kid coming so my funds have been nonexistent. Wanted to make it again but it just wasn't in the cards this year. Tell Matt and everyone there hello from the Asian though.

User Tag List