Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Pure speed out of holster

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    That was really well written, with lots of good nuggets to chew on.
    should be a "sticky!"
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Classic Pressout (my attempt at executing TLG's method)

Muzzle-Level Pressout (same thing but trying to avoid the muzzle-tilt)

Direct Draw (basically bringing the gun straight from the holster to its final position, though in my case the gun comes high enough that it is pretty close to the good old 4-count draw with position 2 removed because of AIWB)
    I will first say that I have been impressed with your concealed draw speed for quite some time and would love to be that fast. For Appendix, which is my fastest concealed carry type, given your distance and accuracy standard in your video, to get consistent hits I am lucky to be in high .9's on a good day with reps. Cold and if I can bust a low 1.10-1.15 with consistency I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    You are welcome and I agree about AIWB biasing the draw a bit higher. I made up the new terms for this video because I figured we didn't have enough confusing terms to define draws with yet.
    With my body type and 3 shoulder surgeries between both shoulders, I do not get as high of a draw, or press than you do. Just doesn't happen. I generally say I have different draw types which is indeed carry dependent. As you mention, I am forced to draw different with appendix as opposed to hip as it is just the nature of the set up as appendix forces a higher draw. When I do an appendix and a "Direct draw" my appendix looks more like your direct draw. But my direct draw from the hip, is not nearly as high and looks more 45*ish in line to the target. So maybe this confuses people when I say I have different draw types.

The primary difference I note in my draw stroke is that indeed I change speed on the press and muzzle orientation changes with it depending on what I am facing as far as target size, distance, accuracy / precision requirement. Up close, pure speed on A zone and I will rocket the weapon out with a flatter muzzle throughout and like in your video, I am often breaking the shot before full extension and I have no account of how I am breathing. Further away, the weapon presentation is much more deliberate. the weapon goes more muzzle up at the "3 position" and levels out on the press and sights settle at full extension. I am also aware of a deliberate breath going out as weapon presses out. So more classic TLG press when I am going slower.

I know some preach about having one draw stroke no matter what and I have tried it extensively, but I still find myself gaining better results with these methods. I did break down some video in segmented stills to attempt to analyze and maybe try some different things.

These were not staged, just footage that I had of appendix doing the IDPA classifier. This first clip is at the 20 yards, A zone. Not very far away or overly small hit zone, but I do indeed note that I do the more deliberate type of draw. From what I recall, I think I am in the 1.40-1.45 range to first shot as I am leaning out. I am in no big rush in this video and the draw type reflects that.

This is from the closer barrel on the IDPA qualifier. Even though I am taking a knee, this draw is just faster as I am closer and the muzzle does not point up as much. I do intentionally keep the muzzle flatter up close on a quicker draw as I generally know that I can generally get away with breaking a shot just prior to full extension, or as soon as the weapon hits extension.

Again I have tried a consistent draw stroke in the past with mixed results. I am thinking that I am going to attempt to rocket the weapon out with a flatter muzzle no matter distance and see what happens? Gotta try it.

Also curious to know what your draw might look like from the hip, doing a "Direct Draw"?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Rob Leatham wrote this in 2009.

What is Fast?

I’ve been shooting a lot over the Holidays and am trying to figure out, “What is fast?”. I think the best way for me to describe shooting fast is as follows: When I am operating at a pace that would not allow for time to fix a potential problem that I see with a shot before I fire.
    As I often acknowledge, I am not a competition shooter, but doesn't pretty much everyone in competition do what Rob is talking about? Meaning that you do a mental evaluation of the course of fire in relationship to how fast you believe you can run the course in order to maintain the acceptable hit scoring to get what you think is your best overall time?

A few years ago, I was asked by a training staff to give my "opinion" and feedback on a 3 gun course of fire that they were going to use as a type of "top gun" challenge. IDPA targets used with a simple raw time plus a simple set time penalty multiplied by the total minus score and 10 seconds for misses outside of scoring zones. No extra hits on target allowed. I looked over the course and asked them, do you want me to run it with all A's, or do you want best overall score possible? In other words, get great hits or "game it"? Since they were unsure of the penalty times, they asked me to "game it". Knowing their time penalty parameters, I absolutely blistered through the course. I had all hits but had some -3 zones and I still smoked the next closest person to run it as they were trying to maintain -0's and no less than -1's. I personally find the -3 zones to be unacceptable for my working applications, but in this "gaming" instance, it was what was an allowable option to get a win and I exploited that when I feel it was acceptable. So they did a tweaking of the times for penalties to encourage better acceptable accuracy with the balance of time or speed. The point being is that I could quickly enough compute what I thought was the best pace to run the course given speed vs accuracy of what they were asking for in relation to my own abilities or capabilities.

User Tag List