Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Pure speed out of holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Josh, as to some video from last spring, how I shoot today may well be different than yesterday, and hopefully different than last month or last year. I see it as an ongoing process, subject to continuous revision.
    GJM, sorry I missed this when it was posted. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you were still shooting exactly the same as in the video or even if that particular video was representative of you average draw. I reference it as an example to show that the way we think and speak about technique may be different even where there is very little difference, if any, in the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Thanks dude, this is definitely clearer with video. My draw looks pretty similar to this, except much slower. I just don't call it "direct" because of how high the gun comes before going forward, which I think is partly a function of AIWB.
    You are welcome and I agree about AIWB biasing the draw a bit higher. I made up the new terms for this video because I figured we didn't have enough confusing terms to define draws with yet.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Great work on the video OAK, should clear up a lot of questions regarding the discussion here.

Seriously, 0.7+ draw from concealment? 0.8+ on upper A, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    He's slowing down so we can see him better [emoji12]
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yep.

Understand that everything on the video represents my best case potential performance under ideal conditions. Add a tenth at least when under stress in a competition. And .87 to the upper A is a better than typical example for that task. Figure another tenth or so most of the time for that.

It's within my performance range, but it's at the upper end of it.
    Lord of the Food Court

Gabe, I think your draw is an example of an over learned skill.

This reinforces a point I made in some thread about learning technical shooting skills from sport shooters. Between improvements in equipment, the web to shine a light on techniques and performance, and continuing evolution, technical shooting skills have advanced to a level far beyond the standard of the Gunsite era.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gabe, I think your draw is an example of an over learned skill.

This reinforces a point I made in some thread about learning technical shooting skills from sport shooters. Between improvements in equipment, the web to shine a light on techniques and performance, and continuing evolution, technical shooting skills have advanced to a level far beyond the standard of the Gunsite era.
    Troof. IIRC, wasn't the old Gunsite standard for an El Pres something like all As under 10 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Troof. IIRC, wasn't the old Gunsite standard for an El Pres something like all As under 10 seconds?
    I think that's true, but it also usually incites a debate about the performance levels associated with a USPSA Classifier-style El Presidente (USPSA A-zone, hit factor scoring, same height targets spaced about one yard apart, maybe 'gamer gear') vs. an El Presidente done the old school way (not totally sure what that is, but I believe it involves the targets spaced further, maybe three yards apart, maybe staggered heights, tighter scoring zones sometimes suggested, or at least time-plus scoring or if-not-clean-it's-a-fail scoring, 'legitimate street gear', etc.)
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It also included timing done on Jeff Cooper's wrist watch, watching the sweep of the second hand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List