Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure speed out of holster

Pure speed out of holster

So I've bee working on my first shot out, that is, for last 18 months or so. Pressouts, dry and live, watching myself as I draw in a mirror, waste elimination. So far, no dice. My accuracy becomes a thing of random nature when I get to about 2.2 mark (3x5, 24 feet or so).
    Today I decided to figure out how much it takes me just to do the mechanical part - draw, point out at target to the best of my ability but without actual aiming, press the trigger. Two things surprised me. First, 8 out of 10 hits with this point shooting thing. Second, the best I could do was 1.8 seconds. Now, I am not making it easy - relatively tight sweater with compression band at the bottom, strong-side IWB, leather holster, but still.... Am I just too freakin slow, or it's expected with this degree of concealment, or what? Comments, suggestions?

The biggest thing that helped me reduce my draw times (1.4 on a Safariland 6004) was to be aware when I could move my hands quickly to and out of certain positions during the drawstroke. When I hear the buzzer or the command to fire, I drive my hands to my weapon as quickly as I can, almost making it a flinch reaction. While I slow to disengage the retention hood, once the pistol is free, I quickly tear the gun up to begin the press out. There I slow down again (relatively speaking) and begin to push the gun out as I shift my focus to my front sight and begin to break the shot. For the concealed game, this translates into quickly moving my support hand to get a handful of the covering garment so I can give it a good yank upwards (again, moving quickly enough that your skeleton might punch through your skin), establishing a one-handed grip, and ripping the gun out of the holster and into your press-out position. After that, well. That's been covered before.

Well it takes many thousands of reps in my experience to get unconcious. 1.8 seconds from under a snug garment to make a hit does not sound bad at all, 1.59 to first hit on a clean FAST drill is the best I've seen lately but that is from an open jacket from a kydex OWB holster. From a garment like you described and IWB - I dunno if 0.2 margin would be enough margin for me to match that. And I fancy myself fairly quick. LOL (just kidding BA's). [I'm trying to ignore the point shooting part ]

Site Supporter
    I can usually get a sub 1.7 hit on an index card at 7 yards, when I'm really moving and warmed up, 1.5x is doable. That's from an untucked polo and an AIWB holster.

What helped me the most was realizing, with the help of ToddG, that I can get my hand on the gun and be working on that grip while the other hand is getting the shirt out of the way. They can be (almost) parallel tasks.
    Last edited by JV_; 04-05-2011 at 07:31 PM.

If you are trying to measure pure speed, why not first time your draw from an OWB kydex holster, without cover, and check your time to an A zone hit at 7 yards? That would eliminate variables that are hard to quantify, like the type of concealment garment, and the precision of the 3x5 card hit as opposed to the A zone.

As posted earlier, move both hands simultaneously.
    Work on moving your hand to the gun as quickly as possible.
    Get your grip right.
    I repeat... GET YOUR GRIP right.
    Then I like to get a mental picture of RIPPING the gun straight up out of the holster, I mean really try to jerk it straight up and out as fast as possible.
    Now, get on the front sight and track it all the way to the trigger press.
    When my draws slow down it can usually be traced to lazy hand movements.
    Lazy hands getting to the gun and/or lazy hands getting the gun from the holster to my line of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are trying to measure pure speed, why not first time your draw from an OWB kydex holster, without cover, and check your time to an A zone hit at 7 yards? That would eliminate variables that are hard to quantify, like the type of concealment garment, and the precision of the 3x5 card hit as opposed to the A zone.
    GJM, I know I am faster out of OWB kydex, so this is certainly one variable. The gist of the question is how the hell all these guys get the first aimed hit at sub-2 second time (I am not even talking 1.5) when I can barely get a non-aimed shot at the same time.
    Thanks to all for advice.

I don't remember who told me (might've been Todd even), but for pure speed, you need to change the way you respond to the stimuli of the start signal, whatever it is. The normal response is to wait for the beep on a timer to end, before you really start moving. you need to try and get yourself moving as soon as you hear the start of the beep. Drills to start working on this include putting the gun up on target (at like 3ft) finger on the trigger, and on the beep try and get that shot off before the beep ends. Once you can do that reliably, try working your way back to the holster step by step.
    For me the next biggest gain in speed on a draw came from simply moving my hands to the gun faster, getting a good grip (the slowest part of the whole thing) and then as JodyH says, ripping that gun up and out as fast as you can (safely obviously). People often look really relaxed when they are going for their gun, a ton of speed can be made up here.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    GJM, I know I am faster out of OWB kydex, so this is certainly one variable. The gist of the question is how the hell all these guys get the first aimed hit at sub-2 second time (I am not even talking 1.5) when I can barely get a non-aimed shot at the same time.
    Thanks to all for advice.
    I'm right alongside JV in speed as he verified (put me on the frigging spot ) and it's all about the press out.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    (put me on the frigging spot )
    I've always been a "show me" kind of guy

User Tag List