Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ameriglo I-Dot or Trijicon HD

I dig the HDs. I can pick up the Orange better than the yellow - which I'm sure all of you Orange nuts on here can dig. I also like the ledge rear sight instead of a slant.

I like the fact that there is "two sets" of sights. The Trijicon disappears during light - and its a generally solid black rear sight with an orange dot on the front, yet when the lights go out - the Trijicon shows itself.

I can only compare it to the Trijicons that came on my TRP, but I prefer the HDs much more.

I'm pretty interested in the I-Dot Pro's but am having trouble deciding between the orange or lime green front. I've been using Big Dots so I think my eyes will be more accustomed to a lighter colored front so lime green is the direction I'm leaning. I love the visibility of the Big Dots but want something that will allow me to be a bit more ....precise. Since I am used to the light colored front and the dot the I setup of the Big Dots I'm hoping the lime green front 2 dot setup of the I-Dot Pro's will be an easy transition.

kodiakpb,

I see you have the I-Dots with both colored fronts. Which one seems to stand out the best across the broadest spectrum of lighting conditions? It seems to me that the orange would have an advantage in bright light such as sunlight or well lit indoor areas but the lime green would do better in lower light. Is that line of thinking close to how they perform? How does the lime green front do in average indoor lighting compared to the orange? Do you have any pictures of the sights side by side pointed at targets in different lighting conditions?

One last question....do cleaning solvents harm the sights by removing any of the color or anything like that? I read a comment somewhere on the net about the Trijicon HD's color being protected by a clear coat of sorts while the I-Dot Pro's could have their color "cleaned off" if they came in contact with cleaning solvents.

Sorry to bomb you with questions but you seem to have a nice collection of the sights I'm looking pretty hard at so I figured you would be a good source for info!
    Last edited by sparky-kb; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added another question.

[QUOTE=sparky-kb;110259

kodiakpb,

I see you have the I-Dots with both colored fronts. Which one seems to stand out the best across the broadest spectrum of lighting conditions? It seems to me that the orange would have an advantage in bright light such as sunlight or well lit indoor areas but the lime green would do better in lower light. Is that line of thinking close to how they perform? How does the lime green front do in average indoor lighting compared to the orange? Do you have any pictures of the sights side by side pointed at targets in different lighting conditions?

One last question....do cleaning solvents harm the sights by removing any of the color or anything like that? I read a comment somewhere on the net about the Trijicon HD's color being protected by a clear coat of sorts while the I-Dot Pro's could have their color "cleaned off" if they came in contact with cleaning solvents.

Sorry to bomb you with questions but you seem to have a nice collection of the sights I'm looking pretty hard at so I figured you would be a good source for info![/QUOTE]

Sparky,

Not a problem: I find the lime green/yellow to be the best under all lighting conditions. I have three more Glocks not shown above that also have yellow. I have since switched out the red proglo's above with lime green/yellow. There is a chart that I cannot find at the moment that shows different color spectrums. It shows that the human eye picks up on green better than red (analogy: green lasers vs. red lasers).

The ring on a proglo front sight is exactly the same as the ring on the HD. I have had no issue with cleaning it.

Here's what the ring looks like when it's charged...it's so bright the cell phone camera didn't pick up the tritium (Trijicon) in the first pic.

old pic of lime green/yellow next to red.

Awesome, thanks kodiak! I've seen the chart or one similar to what you mentioned about so I know what you're talking about. Green/yellow were the most visible if I recall, just didn't know how well it translated to sight visibility in real life situations. Looks like it'll be lime green for me, you pretty much validated my thought process .

What kind of long distance accuracy are you guys getting with these sights? Can you consistantly clear a plate rack or hit bowling pins at 25 yards with them?

Thanks.

I found that the red picks up better in an indoor environment with lighter walls (unless your walls are in the orange-red-pink color spectrum). I have both and they both work amazing. You can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Dapimpspimp View Post
    What kind of long distance accuracy are you guys getting with these sights? Can you consistantly clear a plate rack or hit bowling pins at 25 yards with them?
    Yes. They allow good enough alignment that I can shoot plates at 25, and poppers at 50 and 100.

not happy with orange

Have the Amerigo I dot orange on a Glock 19. Very nice sight except orange hard to pick up in low light conditions. Daylight absolutly fantastic. l Bought the Amerigo cap sights which were fantantic except could not get the front sight screw started and then loctie set up ruining sight. Sent it back for a refund.
    I have decided to go with the Trijicon HD for my Sig P228 because of the rounded rear notch in rear sight. I am seriously considering the yellow because I can see a regular white dot sight much better than the orange in low indoor light. But I have seen posts where the yellow is hard to see in daylight around light colored objects or nature like trees .
    All I know is the Hap sight inside the house at night just with low lamp light were the best.
    Any one who has the yellow or have had both orange also could give me an opinion. These sights are way too expensive to be guessing at. By the way the Amerigo I dot at least in orange is NOT light sentive paint that will glow after being exposed to light. I dont know about the yellow but the orange sucks from transittioning from light into a dark room. Another reason for the HD trijicons.
    All opinions welcome.
    Last edited by RM686; 01-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
    Have the Amerigo I dot orange on a Glock 19. Very nice sight except orange hard to pick up in low light conditions. Daylight absolutly fantastic. l Bought the Amerigo cap sights which were fantantic except could not get the front sight screw started and then loctie set up ruining sight. Sent it back for a refund.
    I have decided to go with the Trijicon HD for my Sig P228 because of the rounded rear notch in rear sight. I am seriously considering the yellow because I can see a regular white dot sight much better than the orange in low indoor light. But I have seen posts where the yellow is hard to see in daylight around light colored objects or nature like trees .
    All I know is the Hap sight inside the house at night just with low lamp light were the best.
    Any one who has the yellow or have had both orange also could give me an opinion. These sights are way too expensive to be guessing at. By the way the Amerigo I dot at least in orange is NOT light sentive paint that will glow after being exposed to light. I dont know about the yellow but the orange sucks from transittioning from light into a dark room. Another reason for the HD trijicons.
    All opinions welcome.
    UPDATE
    Have received the Trijicons HD yellow ring for my Sig P228. I like them very much and they are much easier to pick up in low light where you can see the yellow ring on the Sig but the ameriglo orange I dot on my Glock 19 you can not.
    I like the Trijicons so much that I just ordred them in yellow for my Glock 19 . Another point about the Ameriglows is the rear sight is beveleved very weird on the sides so light hitting it from the sides results in a glar on the rear. I just dont like the shape of the rear sight. I noticed this at the range the rear sight looked lopsided when light from the side hits it. The trijicons for the sig have stright sides and are very crisp. The whole sight picture is very crisp vrs Ameriglow. The ones for the glock also apper to be crisp although shaped differently than the sigs. Beleive me I would not be laying out $130.00 more if I did not think it was worth it. If you have young eyes ymmv. I am over 60 so I need the best sight picture visiably wise in all light conditions.
    I also find regular metrolight night sights eiser to see in low light than the ameriglows. In complite darkness they are all good and glow very brightly. In low light situtations brfore the tritium kicks in is what I am talking about.

User Tag List