Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty

Hornady Critical Duty

At this point I only have advertising, Hornady data, and my own accuracy and reliability experience to go on -- but I really like the 9x19 load and am intrigued by the new .45. Has anyone (especially doc) gathered independent data or formed an opinion on this stuff yet?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    At this point I only have advertising, Hornady data, and my own accuracy and reliability experience to go on -- but I really like the 9x19 load and am intrigued by the new .45. Has anyone (especially doc) gathered independent data or formed an opinion on this stuff yet?
    I know for a fact he's got some of the 9 and 40 to test, don't know if he's gotten to it yet though.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I saw DocGKR give it some kudo's somewhere recently in a specific loading as decent. Yes it was re .38 special loads. I'm curious about the other too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

At Southnarc's VCAST this last weekend, one of the students fired this outward through the front windshield of one of the test cars. The jacket peeled off, cutting the students hand, and the remaining fragments missed the the IPSC target 3 yards ahead of the bumper. We repeated the test with a different point of aim, and the round again fragmented on the glass and the larger chuck of lead hit the target about 3 feet above and right of the point of aim (at 3 yards)

If you want to say that instant fragmentation is your goal, this round accomplished that. If you need some penetration before expansion, I don't know how well it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_cs View Post
    At Southnarc's VCAST this last weekend, one of the students fired this outward through the front windshield of one of the test cars. The jacket peeled off, cutting the students hand, and the remaining fragments missed the the IPSC target 3 yards ahead of the bumper. We repeated the test with a different point of aim, and the round again fragmented on the glass and the larger chuck of lead hit the target about 3 feet above and right of the point of aim (at 3 yards)If you want to say that instant fragmentation is your goal, this round accomplished that. If you need some penetration before expansion, I don't know how well it worked.
    Was that Critical Defence or Critical Duty?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I have video from a ballistics demo performed last week on our range. I'll try to get it posted ASAP. Also, I did a write up of another demo on here a while back.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Was that Critical Defence or Critical Duty?
    That I will have to go find out. Was thinking it was the Duty but I will confirm.

The Defense loadings would be very prone to fragmenting when going through windshield glass. The Duty loadings were made to pass the FBI testing, which means they would be made to work well on the auto glass tests.

The info from Hornady looks pretty good. I haven't known them to cook their tests. Nowadays it's too easy to figure out and you end up being found out as snake oil salesmen.

In the 9mm I find the +P loading interesting.

Shooting out through the windshiled;

In my experience this is tough work for ANY bullet. I have seen 124gr +P and 230gr Gold Dot yaw and completely miss an IPSC target at 7 yards after going through the glass. Best bet is to either use the car as a weapon or start shooting through the hole from the first round if possible. Once the glass is punched the area around the bullet hole is far easier for the bullet to get through intact and to the target.

Shooting through the windshield is very dangerous for the shooter and should only be done in the very gravest extreme in real life. Things we can't control without PPE include glass in the eyes or glass dust inhaled into the lungs.

Damn Windshields!

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I saw DocGKR give it some kudo's somewhere recently in a specific loading as decent. Yes it was re .38 special loads. I'm curious about the other too.
    Hornady fell into a common marketing trap by naming two completely different products similarly. Critical Defense is uninspiring, but Critical Duty has a really, really likeable bullet if you're a penetration fan like me. Duty is available only in 9x19, 9x19+P, 40 S&W, and newly .45ACP+p. By contrast, critical defense is available for your Taurus Judge. I'm sure you're relieved.

User Tag List