Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Driving

Winter Driving

I recently bought a new car. A front wheel drive car. I haven't driven a front wheel drive vehicle in around 12 years and I may have forgotten a bit about handling since then having only driven rear wheel drive vehicles for so long.

So, I ask you fine folks... is there any benefit to putting weight in the trunk of a FWD vehicle or does it just make the arse end have more potential momentum on slick roads?

Just one more example of "if you don't use it, you lose it" when it comes to skills. I dun forgot!
    Thanks in advance.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Don't put weight in the rear. It'll just destabilize the car.

All seasons are no-season. If you're going to put a cent down, get real winter tires. They actually make a difference, and a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Don't put weight in the rear. It'll just destabilize the car.

All seasons are no-season. If you're going to put a cent down, get real winter tires. They actually make a difference, and a big one.
    Thanks Haraise. I thought that was correct, but it's been so long I just couldn't remember for sure.

Oh, and I'm figuring that no-season tires thing out right now. We got our first heavy snow yesterday. It put down 6" and then decided that it wants to hover around 14-18F for the next 3-4 days. Ordered some Ice/snow tires today, they should be here Thursday.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Snow tires on the rear at a minimum, all 4 is the best way to go. Weight in the rear doesn't help and can make things worse.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Snow tires on the rear at a minimum, all 4 is the best way to go. Weight in the rear doesn't help and can make things worse.
    Please, please please do not listen to this post.

On a front wheel drive car, you want traction in the front, not the rear.

Putting them only in the rear will make you understeer like crazy and have no grip to actually go or brake.

Putting them only in the front can cause massive oversteer.

Keep your tires matched unless you're drag racing or drifting (on the cheap).

Incorrect. The real answer should be four snows or no snows.

http://www.tireindustry.org/default....&LangType=1033
    Q: Why should I install two new tires on the rear axle of my front-wheel-drive vehicle?

A: Because a vehicle with brand-new tires on the front axle and worn tires on the rear has a greater tendency to lose control when turning in wet or slippery conditions. While the new tires on the front may "hug the turn," the worn tires on the rear may slide out and "fishtail." This condition is known as oversteer, and it has been known to cause serious and fatal accidents on front-wheel-drive vehicles with two new tires on the front axle and two worn tires on the rear.

Q: Can I install two snow tires on the front axle without installing them on the rear?

A: No. If winter/snow tires are installed on the front axle of any vehicle, they must also be installed on the rear. The difference in traction qualities may result in adverse handling characteristics, which can lead to loss of vehicle control. Therefore, in order to maintain performance and stability, winter/snow tires must be installed on all four wheel positions on front-wheeldrive vehicles.

Incorrect. The real answer should be four snows or no snows.

http://www.tireindustry.org/default....&LangType=1033
    Understeer and oversteer, match your tires... yep, line for line what I just said above it.

I only recall that my Rabbit was superb in the snow just plain jane everyday tires. Not TGS level snow but 6-8 inches unplowed no problem.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Except if only going 2 snows they go to the rear.

Except if only going 2 snows they go to the rear.
    I actually stated reasons not to go with either 2 snows.

User Tag List