Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859

Thread: Are we making a rational argument?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    So all this time I've been buying empty magazines like a sucker?!

Site Supporter
    http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware
    Pace of Decline Slows in Past Decade

Despite the attention to gun violence in recent months, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is markedly lower than it was two decades ago. A new Pew Research Center survey (March 14-17) found that 56% of Americans believe the number of crimes involving a gun is higher than it was 20 years ago; only 12% say it is lower and 26% say it stayed the same. (An additional 6% did not know or did not answer.)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So solid majorities of people believe that gun crime rates have gone up in the last X number of years.

Here's the funny bit: most people believe that gun crimes are going up or at least staying level, but the percentage of the population that owns guns is going down.

What does that tell you about the modern American mindset?

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    One cannot presume that logic will be effective on those who do not, themselves, use logic in their daily lives.

(Bonus points if you read that in Spock's voice... that's what I heard as I wrote this).
    I know I'm quoting myself, but I wanted to reiterate my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    So solid majorities of people believe that gun crime rates have gone up in the last X number of years.

Here's the funny bit: most people believe that gun crimes are going up or at least staying level, but the percentage of the population that owns guns is going down.

What does that tell you about the modern American mindset?
    It tells me something I've ranted about for many years....most folks are horribly ignorant of the facts relating to crime, criminals, and the criminal justice system in general. That is true of both sides, liberal and conservative.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

What it says to me is that many people are increasingly willing to outsource their personal safety to government, which implies in turn that they are willing to outsource many of their other personal issues to government.

Think about it this way: people believe that crime increases or stays level, while at the same time people in more and more households are foregoing exercising their right to defend themselves.

This is scary to me. I was just thinking about this overreliance on overstretched police forces in the context of horribly violent sections of inner cities. The cops are unable to be everywhere at once but the good citizens have ceded their communities to the dirtbags.

The citizens of Northfield, Minnesota wouldn't have stood for that.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List