Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The "adventure race" craze

My 13 year old just ran a 6+ miler No Guts No Glory with 15 obstacles. He loved it and wants to run another one. He was physically exhausted the day after the race. He ran it with three military guys and they had to help him on some of the obstacles but really he absolutely loved everything about it.

Necroposting.

So, for those who have done it, what kind of apparel do you recommend? I'm signed up for a Spartan Race (a super) in Austin for next month, and besides being mandated to wear a certain t-shirt (we're being sponsored), I'm not too sure what I should be wearing. Thinking about picking up a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX for the race and future use (right now, all I have are canvas/rubber sneakers, dress shoes, and heavy duty boots, like the Danner RAT). Not too sure about the pants, I'm assuming that fight shorts would be okay? Although I have been toying with going full tacticool-retard and try it in some combat pants (the kneepads might prove useful?). Also, I use soft contacts, and are seriously blind without them (script's at like -8.50 diopters); any tips?

I would wear some compression shorts to keep things in the mud from getting around your gear.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX
    I completed a Tough Mudder last October wearing the same shoes. They worked great.

About the only thing I'd strongly recommend, is wear the tightest clothes you feel comfortable wearing. All clothing will get completely soaked and caked in mud. The looser it is, the more it will drag down and hinder your movements.

edited to add: I'd forgo the contacts. I don't wear either contacts or glasses, but there were multiple times I was trying to remove muddy water from my eyes.

I've done two Tough Mudders, and wore a synthetic long sleeved t-shirt and lined running shorts both times. Next time I'll try to find a tighter fitting shirt, but didn't have any issues with the shorts. The mud in my shoes was much more annoying, although I managed to get through this past year without taking my shoes off to clear the mud under my toes. If the Salomons do a good job of keeping the mud out in the first place, you should be good to go. I just wore general road and trail shoes. Good grip helps on some of the obstacles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    I've done two Tough Mudders, and wore a synthetic long sleeved t-shirt and lined running shorts both times. Next time I'll try to find a tighter fitting shirt, but didn't have any issues with the shorts. The mud in my shoes was much more annoying, although I managed to get through this past year without taking my shoes off to clear the mud under my toes. If the Salomons do a good job of keeping the mud out in the first place, you should be good to go. I just wore general road and trail shoes. Good grip helps on some of the obstacles.
    +1

I, too, have done two Tough Mudders. The first one I wore a loose fitted shirt, compression shorts, regular shorts, and New Balance Minimus shoes. The shorts were fine, but the shirt was annoying. Also, the ground was so rocky that my feet hurt. The second race I wore a tight fitted shirt (heat gear which dried much faster), compression and regular shorts, and a normal pair of cushioned running shoes. Minus the mud getting into my shoes, I found this set up to be a lot more comfortable.

Also, I found that gloves never really helped and ended up throwing them away after the first wet obstacle.

Bringing this one back

I've decided to do a GoRuck Challenge in my town. Need a good event to train for; best shape I've been in was when I've had an event to train towards.

So have any other PF'ers attended one? I've got about 8 weeks to train.

These a becoming popular out here in OK. More are starting to pop up. The RUN N GUN 5kand 10ks and you must carry all of your ammo.

http://www.okrunngun.com

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Bringing this one back

I've decided to do a GoRuck Challenge in my town. Need a good event to train for; best shape I've been in was when I've had an event to train towards.

So have any other PF'ers attended one? I've got about 8 weeks to train.
    I have, its not hard. You have all your equipment?

Just remember to train past the required time allotment. I've done a few lites and a few tough's, not exactly hard just need to train for them. If you are doing a tough, make sure your training consists of you rucking for at least 16 hours at least one day out of the whole thing, that'll give you a better idea of what the event is like, even if you don't do any of the workout stuff in between.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    These a becoming popular out here in OK. More are starting to pop up. The RUN N GUN 5kand 10ks and you must carry all of your ammo.

http://www.okrunngun.com
    Yep, I've done the OK Run twice. I missed the summer one and I'm looking for another challenge to take up.

User Tag List