Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Protective Shooting Concepts
    www.protectiveshootingconcepts.com
    Based out of Western Pennsylvania

Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Those seem very useful -- thanks for posting that. One of the bullets was "use as much stock as you can." Can you elaborate on that one a little bit? I'm having trouble matching it with my (incredibly dated! Crews 1997, Thunder Ranch 2000) carbine training learnings.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Those seem very useful -- thanks for posting that. One of the bullets was "use as much stock as you can." Can you elaborate on that one a little bit? I'm having trouble matching it with my (incredibly dated! Crews 1997, Thunder Ranch 2000) carbine training learnings.
    With a typical AR carbine you have a telescoping stock. Our recommendation is to run that stock out as far as you can and stretch that gun out. We had a guy that this didn't click with until someone pointed out to him that he wasn't all jocked-up in armor necessitating a shortened stock. Lightbulb moment!

Hobbyist
    Okeydoke. If we were trading in fixed stocks (crazy talk, I know) would you recommend an A2 or A1?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Okeydoke. If we were trading in fixed stocks (crazy talk, I know) would you recommend an A2 or A1?
    I would personally recommend an A1.

Hobbyist
    Good, that fits. There is both too short and too long.

Yeah the A2 is a bit overdone for most.

The A1 was almost perfect IMO... most of the A2 "improvements" kind of sucked in retrospect.

Hobbyist
    A2 works really well for an average person in prone. If I'm proned out with an AR, it's because I've fallen down.

I was converted to a1 during the mentioned Crews class. Somewhere in the early aughties it became an Ace A-UL, with an A1 LOP. I've been very happy with it.