Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Business Attire - Holster Selection

Quote Originally Posted by DVCPrepper View Post
    TGS,
    You obviously don't see my point and consider shoulder holsters evil. LOL

If you want to truly discuss the matter, PM me or start a thread.

If the OP is sold on OWB, the Alessi CQC snap was my favorite and Ritchie makes a better holster than the post Lou Alessi shop does based on my purchases from all three.
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Ritchie. I really liked the look of the Alessi CQC-S but the Ritchie offers the option of thumb break or pass through snaps. Very cool. Did you just think the Ritchie was made better over the Alessi, fit/finish/etc or did it function better in a concealability/comfort role?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Hi All,

I just changed jobs and the new job requires coat and tie (instead of my previous business casual attire). What do you all recommend for holsters for business attire? I'm thinking strong side OWB (because I'm not sure my pants can fit something IWB). What are the best holsters that really hug the body? I always preferred kydex/plastic for AIWB so I am partial to that but I would be willing to explore leather options if they are better. In the end concealability is most important for a glock 26 or 19. Thanks!
    I really like the Nextholster Guardian. It has clips that allow OWB or IWB that are easily changed. It is VERY comfortable and the leather does stay open without a wire for my Kahr PM9. When I wear the Kahr PM9, it almost feels like I am not wearing anything. http://www.nextholster.com/guardian1.html

For my Kimber carry gun I use the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC, and it is excellent and uses a hybrid leather-kydex design. A good shooting friend of mine told me he uses the CTAC and he loves it. I think it kinda depends on the gun you want to carry. http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?cPath=28

If you want to tuck the shirt over the gun, I actually like the cheap little ACE holsters that provide the best tuckable design. My only complain is reholstering because the holster will not stay open when you draw. http://acecase.com/tuck-able-holster-leather.html

CC

Did you just think the Ritchie was made better over the Alessi, fit/finish/etc or did it function better in a concealability/comfort role?
    The ones I had that Lou made were perfectly boned and had no imperfections I could find, true artwork.

The one I got from Alessi Leather shortly after his passing was way tighter and stitching was not cosmetically done as well but function was the same outside of needing the "wax paper" trick to get it broke in enough I could draw the gun.

I ha one Ritchie (a PCH model) come from them way too loose which they took back and he admitted should have never left the shop that way (probably an apprentice) but the second holster was spot on and the shoulder holster I bought barely used was artwork also.

Sample of 6 between all three I would rank them...

Lou (by far)
    Ritchie
    Alessi Leather Co.

Ritchie has all my future business just on how well he fessed up to the one loose holster and treated it.

Mistakes happen, just own them is all I ask for. Unlike Mitch Rosen who acted like it was my fault (rude as hell on the phone) the holster I waited months for and the billing sheet stated had 1-1/2 loops but he built to 1-1/4 loops who billed me for shipping 2 ways for his mistake.

Hi GJM, why do you say it is not a good holster for under a suit coat? too bulky? Doesn't tuck the gun in well?
    It isn't bulky, and is a trim holster. However, it is straight drop, and fairly low, (think an improved Blade-Tec) and doesn't tuck the holster appropriately for under a suit.

As I said, the Gideon is my favorite OWB, just not for the under suit mission.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    For this application I have had great luck with a JRC high ride:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showpost.php?p=51851
    It's @@really@@ high, but if the suit isn't too athletically fitted it does a great job of preventing printing in any position. I wear suits mostly in Asia so it doesn't come up a lot, but I do like this rig with a casual blazer.
    Here is a picture of the HR-1 with a 3" 1911. Slightly smaller than the set up for doctorpogo's Commander. This comes in several variations height wise depending on the gun.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 11-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

If you are not set on OWB, the Comptac MTAC hybrid conceals very well. I work in a very formal environment, but the suit jackets do come off, so I have to be pretty careful. It tucks easily and I just fluff out my shirt a little, being conscious of how and when I bend down, etc. So far so good, none of my colleagues have made me, and it is comfortable to boot.

Sure, we do not have the huge selection of holsters here that you guys have so there might be better, but that is my experience with it in your type of scenario.

But I am intrigued by that HR-1, wow that rides high!

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post

But I am intrigued by that HR-1, wow that rides high!
    It does ride pretty high, but it is pretty easy to draw from. Angle varies from 15-25 degrees depending on the customer and where he carries it. You will notice the wedge shape. This is so the gun clears leather reasonable fast.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    It does ride pretty high, but it is pretty easy to draw from. Angle varies from 15-25 degrees depending on the customer and where he carries it. You will notice the wedge shape. This is so the gun clears leather reasonable fast.
    I really like it.

The VAST majority of men these days REALLY have no idea how closely a good suit should fit. I have several high end made to measure suits from Ralph Lauren Black Label, Tom Ford, and Gieves and Hawkes. I also have two bespoke suits from Savile Row, one from Huntsman and the other from Anderson & Sheppard.

Once you understand just how close tailored really is, you can work backwards from there.

On keeping a jacket on: Sounds good in theory until your boss tells you to take your jacket off because you look like a tight ass to a client.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    The VAST majority of men these days REALLY have no idea how closely a good suit should fit. I have several high end made to measure suits from Ralph Lauren Black Label, Tom Ford, and Gieves and Hawkes. I also have two bespoke suits from Savile Row, one from Huntsman and the other from Anderson & Sheppard.

Once you understand just how close tailored really is, you can work backwards from there.

On keeping a jacket on: Sounds good in theory until your boss tells you to take your jacket off because you look like a tight ass to a client.
    Yes to all. A well cut suite can almost make up for a poor fabric.

If the environment is non-permissive assume the jacket will come off. Mine does often.

User Tag List