Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why or Why Not an HSC 380 or an Ortgies 32?

And now for some minor enabling for my fellow Mousegun enthusiast: Walther Model 9 25 ACP 2" vest pocket pistol $400
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I would like a 1934 first kind of beretta open top slide I believe, though that safety to take off looks not awesome for practical usage. I've kind of become intrigued how most was still getting figured out re safe but ready carry

Nice Shooter in 380?
    The way I was taught by Carabinieri was that when carried in a secure flap holster chamber could be loaded and hammer set on half-cock notch. If not holstered off duty pocket carry is with empty chamber and hammer at full cock to ease effort in racking slide.to chamber a round.

When slide is locked open upon firing last round, retract slide and engage safety to hold the slide open. Remove empty mag. Insert fresh mag, then disengage safety to release the slide to chamber a round.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Ghost Dog

The HSc is regarded as a "1,000 round gun...both the original model in 32, as well as the post-war 380. Even if you get one that's reliable, it will eventually develop cracks in the frame. Logic suggests that using hotter ammo in 380 will only make this happen quicker; note that the 380 variant was not a successful pistol, and no European organization adopted them for any substantial amount of service....so it's not like they have a history that suggests it's a good idea to use hot 380 ammo in them, regardless of the fact they were imported from Europe.

If for some reason you decide that a blow-back 380 is a good option to purposely carry, a SIG P232, Walther PPK, Beretta series-80 or even Bersa Thunder are all better choices. If you haven't shot one of these vintage-design blowback 380s, I would strongly suggest doing so before dropping cash on one...they're generally not nice guns to shoot.

If you just have to have an HSc, get the original in .32 from early war production. The DA sucks but otherwise it's a nice gun. Caveat emptor on CCWing a gun with Nazi stampings, though.

They're beautiful guns, best left to display.

Signed,

Owner of a Mauser HSc and SIG P232
    lol thanks, I mean, if I did ever wear a Tuxedo and drink a Martini shaken not stirred I might actually carry one of those but I kind of just like the thought of it. I would in fact want a 232, probably blued is lighter aluminum frame right. I could see that as useful and follow all the time but once creep over $450 my good me says no. I am jealous though. Same, Beretta 84 would be awesome, though a BDA even more so because of decocker.

I have been considering a Bersa Plus, if runs with Hyrdashock Deep would be a legit carry option which...I wouldn't do though could , and know a Security 380 less recoil (which maybe in 10 years or so I might have to do to damaged hands-but now can rock anything .357 magnum/40 or less ok), but then Plus would be too thick for most females as a step up...I usually have them run one or two 22s and there is two 9s that seem to work well for most once getting them a bit squared away.

At least the 32 hsc's once cracked frame still run fine though right? like most but not all older 32 Tomcats do?

probably hsc or pp's in .32 are a slightly better experience, but ammo cost and availability difference kinda sucks

to be fair the only 380 I ever owned was an OG lcp which was a true BUG for a long time and recoil was nothing to me, then I got a few jams eventually and faith got lost so no longer as better small Micro9 stuff started coming on market.
    About to be there with my first Micro9...no issues ever one handed or whatever and then two FTFs have taken, one seems to be an OAL issue with too long, the 2nd I am not sure...so broken some faith but not enough to stop yet... May be replaced by newer one, but I prefer the pocket holster I have for the getting questionable one...

I do not believe either the recoil spring or mag springs should be warn out this fast it is not a very high round count.

Admittedly I also think 1914 or 1934 and Savage may be kinda cool too.

A lot of interesting stuff I wasn't open to until recently so I guess I am getting Fuddy
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-02-2024 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Admittedly I also think 1914 or 1934 and Savage may be kinda cool too.

A lot of interesting stuff I wasn't open to until recently so I guess I am getting Fuddy
    Nothing wrong with that. I carry a tacticool'd-out Glock everyday but still enjoy these guns for what they are.

I also had exposure to the Mauser 1914. It was an awesome gun, very fun to shoot, and a much better trigger and ergonomics than the HSc or Walther PP. Unfortunately when my grandfather passed away, it went to my brother and like any typical enlisted sailor in need of beer money, he fuckin' pawned it.

If you want an old-timey CCW gun but just for the sake of it being fun to own and fun to shoot, the Mauser 1914 or 1934 would be my suggestion. They're very fun to shoot, even by modern standards.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I carry a tacticool'd-out Glock everyday but still enjoy these guns for what they are.

I also had exposure to the Mauser 1914. It was an awesome gun, very fun to shoot, and a much better trigger and ergonomics than the HSc or Walther PP. Unfortunately when my grandfather passed away, it went to my brother and like any typical enlisted sailor in need of beer money, he fuckin' pawned it.

If you want an old-timey CCW gun but just for the sake of it being fun to own and fun to shoot, the Mauser 1914 or 1934 would be my suggestion. They're very fun to shoot, even by modern standards.

Cheers thanks if a deal is found...I get excited do research and then back out as much as I can if things cross Deal threshold otherwise things would be real bad.

Site Supporter
    Not an apples to apples comparison, but I just got done shooting an original Remington 51 in 380 I picked up for the first time. Even with the "delayed" blowback, recoil was a little more brisk than I liked for what will be a fun gun. I'm thinking I might look for one in 32, it is a neat pistol.

I happen to have an Ortgies .380 hanging around that belonged to my wife’s grandfather. My late father in law complained that it jammed, but I happen to know that he was trying to run 1990’s vintage Winchester Silvertips through it since most of the box is still left. It doesn’t love a wide variety of bullet profiles. It likes FMJ. It’s a pretty accurate little gun with the fixed barrel, and well made, although I’ve seen better sights on water pistols. I want to say that Germany made a lot of them in the interwar period to keep their arms industry afloat and got in trouble for dumping them on the export market. They’re still inexpensive, if you just feel like shooting one for the novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by loper77 View Post
    Not an apples to apples comparison, but I just got done shooting an original Remington 51 in 380 I picked up for the first time. Even with the "delayed" blowback, recoil was a little more brisk than I liked for what will be a fun gun. I'm thinking I might look for one in 32, it is a neat pistol.
    I am sure you know that this is an unusual case of Remington starting with and making more .380s. The .32s are a lot less common.

I am sorry I sold mine because it would not feed hollow points. Same as selling my first P220 because it would not handle semiwadcutters. I have gotten over the funny bullet stuff. JHP 9mm for defense, roundnose most of the rest.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I prefer the Berettas myself. I have the M1934 in .380, a 1935 in ..32' and a 948 in .22LR

.Attachment 117981Attachment 117982Attachment 117983
    Attachment 117984

Talk to me Goose, tell me more about why to like a 1934 Beretta in 380

Most 30s 40s ones should still run fine?

Any thoughts on the new shorted barrel German Reman imported stupid law ones

User Tag List