Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigh. Always check your ammo.

Sigh. Always check your ammo.

Unloaded my Glock 42 to clean it after a range trip and noticed that the chambered round looked odd.
    Upon closer examination(okay, focusing my eyes), I saw that the bullet was pushed so deep into the case that only the ogive was visible.
    This is fresh Hornady American Gunner XTP, case gauged before loading into the magazine.
    My long practiced habit of marking the primer with a sharpie each time it has been pulled from the chamber and rotating it to the bottom of the magazine had lapsed. I can only assume that I reloaded the round a few times.
    Note: it will still gauge correctly, so (mindful)visual inspection remains necessary.

Lesson learned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    My long practiced habit of marking the primer with a sharpie each time it has been pulled from the chamber and rotating it to the bottom of the magazine had lapsed.
    Good tip. Thanks for the info.

$%&$(&*!!

Update.
    I got curious and grabbed an untouched box of the Hornady.
    Visually inspected a couple of rounds and case gauged them.
    Racked them in the chamber.
    One took two chamberings before it was visually shortened, the other took three.

I just found a new test parameter for vetting new ammo.
    And I think dry fire now costs about 80 cents a session.

This is lot#3232552 if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I just found a new test parameter for vetting new ammo.
    And I think dry fire now costs about 80 cents a session.
    How often do you dry-fire? After awhile it'd be less expensive to just buy another Glock 42 for dry-fire and range use. Then just leave your original Glock 42 loaded for carry for months at a time.

Imo just buy a 2nd identical gun for dry fire.

Sharpie the O.A.L. on the case. Change carry ammo to a more forgiving profile if possible.

When I work up a new hand load, that's my process. Also, rounds can set back under recoil while in the mag of an autoloader.

I was super watchful of .357 Sig. and this saved me a lot of trouble.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Site Supporter
    As others have stated, having a carry gun and a dry-fire gun is my preferred method to avoid these issues.

Carry G19 lives loaded and gets the air hose and a fresh round chambered once a month. It gets shot once a year.

Dry-fire / practice gun is marked as such and always unloaded, unless Im at the range.

This also cuts down on the admin handling for loading/unloading, which is where sometimes people get in trouble.

Site Supporter
    I agree with leaving the carry gun loaded as much as possible. My procedure when unloading it has been to always chamber the same round, and keep an eye on length as compared to unchambered rounds. When the chambered round gets noticeably shorter, it is replaced.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I agree with leaving the carry gun loaded as much as possible. My procedure when unloading it has been to always chamber the same round, and keep an eye on length as compared to unchambered rounds. When the chambered round gets noticeably shorter, it is replaced.
    I've heard SMEs saying that by doing that enough times you can get in trouble with the priming compound getting dislodged from the primer cup. You are then chambering a literal dud, with the correct OAL.

I don't ever rechamber carry ammo, for carry purposes (probably overkill, but works for me).

Site Supporter
    I mark the case with a sharpie line, 5 lines and it goes in the drill pile,
    I do measure one here and there and have found very little or no length
    change with HST's and never had a problem with the drill round's, maybe luck

User Tag List