Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non political disucussion about states with looming AWBs

I'm reasonably well-stocked but suppose I should add a Komatsu D355A to the fleet.😉

My current feeling is mostly not that interested in AR stuff, a mini 14 and small handful (2 or 3 each) of factory 5, 10, and 20 rd mags would probably realistically do anything id every want to with a self loader, and be, so far, 50 state legal for travel purposes with appropriate mags in some states. I could probably live without one and not ever know the difference in practical terms. Most of my use and interest is levers and bolt actions. After this summer I'll likely never venture east of the Mississippi again, and would like to see some of the desert areas of Cal. and some of the border areas of Az like El Camino Del Diablo.

Many things were much more interesting when they were far cheaper to shoot. $150-$175/case ammo was fun. Its not as much fun now.

Now if were looking for reasons to buy 1873 Winchesters, then maybe I could use another one or two....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    I ended up betting in both directions; stacking magazines and parts and the scary-looking guns I could, and augmenting those scary-looking guns with things like bolt guns, lever guns, and revolvers.

And ammo, of course. You never have too much ammo unless you're drowning or on fire.

Site Supporter
    Living in one of those states…
    The pending bill would prohibit the transfer of any weapon with a pistol grip, removable magazine and any one of a dozen or more additional features, like a threaded barrel, muzzle device, heat shield, etc. Basically covers anything that looks like and AR, AK, M1A, etc.
    Nothing in the current text of the bill would address stripped lowers, by my reading.

My list:
    1. A quality AR for my son who recently turned 18. -CHECK - accomplished several months ago
    2. A decent stripped lower -CHECK - accomplished a few weeks ago
    The above were the must-haves, and have been addressed.
    Now I’m contemplating things like
    - A high quality AR-pattern PCC /AR pistol in 9mm that takes Beretta 92 mags (see my thread in the Carbine section)
    - A quality AR in .22
    - Anything else that I thought would be cool to have “someday”.

My job is here, and I’m not planning to leave anytime soon, so I just want to be well equipped if my rights are limited for at least the near future.

I’m open to suggestions…

I’m AR centric and am not really interested in any other type of autoloading rifle chambered in an intermediate caliber. I’ve already got a decent amount of 5.56 AR mags so I’d probably buy some lowers. PSA was recently selling stripped lowers for $30 each. That’s assuming any ban would allow for possession of grandfathered items. If not, then I’d be looking at getting a second Beretta 1301 and possibly a lever action chambered in .357 Magnum.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    When IL suckerpunched everyone, I was glad I had a big ol' pile of NIW Pmags and Lancers.

I'd say to get whatever you think you might want some day. If I'd known it was coming I'd have bought an MP5, cost be damned, and a couple AR barrels.

Im curious to know if there is or will be some legal way to modify an AR type rifle to be manually operated, such as in England. The question about how stripped lowers would be classified in a ban state brought this back to mind.

Rather than turn in, register, or otherwise remove a given individual gun if affected by a ban or restriction, is/will/would there be a recognized way to modify it in some legally acceptable way to make it manually operated. The Ruger precision rifle would be confused with ARs to most people, but its not affected by any of the bans that Im aware of even with all the otherwise bad features since its manually operated and not easily converted to semi auto.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I picked up another G19 and threaded barrel, a spare lower, and did a heavy SPR build in anticipation of how the CO AWB bill is currently written.

Did pick up a few things last year in anticipation as well, like a LMT308. The bill was introduced last year and didn't go anywhere, but this year I'm more pessimistic. I'm pretty well set on most hardware already, so I didn't need to buy much to fill in the few niches/redundancies that I wanted.

Stacked a bunch of mags before the 2013 mag ban, so I'm set there at least.

For the other CO residents upthread, FWIW .22LRs are exempt, food for thought in case you're trying to prioritize funds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    I picked up another G19 and threaded barrel, a spare lower, and did a heavy SPR build in anticipation of how the CO AWB bill is currently written.
    The devil is obviously in the details of any legislation.. For instance, Virginia Governor Youngkin *just* vetoed proposed legislation that would have made threaded pistol barrels (of all things) unlawful to carry under a pistol permit. ('cause, you know, them threads make the boolit more worser...). Wild stuff.

ETA: the way I understand this legislation was written, there was no grandfathering.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post

Did pick up a few things last year in anticipation as well, like a LMT308. The bill was introduced last year and didn't go anywhere, but this year I'm more pessimistic. I'm pretty well set on most hardware already, so I didn't need to buy much to fill in the few niches/redundancies that I wanted.

Stacked a bunch of mags before the 2013 mag ban, so I'm set there at least.

For the other CO residents upthread, FWIW .22LRs are exempt, food for thought in case you're trying to prioritize funds.
    The bolded part is not correct.
    I just went and re-read and searched the text of the latest draft… the .22 rimfire exemption is only for tubular magazines.

User Tag List