Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Non political disucussion about states with looming AWBs

New Mexico is a hot mess sometimes when it comes to gun rights. They push, the citizens push back, etc. But as of right now her push for an all out magazine restriction or ban has not worked and I don't think it will. If it does we plan on moving to Texas. With that said, I am slowly accumulating hk magazines (which last pretty much forever) and more AR mags including some that will just sit in storage. Spare parts are on the list.

Ar:
    Lower parts kit to include buffer and spring
    Bolt carrier group

Hk pistols:
    Springs to rebuild the guns several times over.
    Ejector
    Small parts

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    To piggy back on you it’s how they ban it. I cooks buy a pile of cool shit and be stuck with either having to transfer it out of state at cost and hoping I don’t loose money. Or destroying it.
    This.

I'd look at manually-operated things like DA revolvers, bolt guns, and pump shotguns. Also 1301-like objects in legal configurations.

The 38 revolver, the 308 carbine, and the riot gun remain formidable weapons IF you know what you're doing and you train. I'd rather become deeply familiar with any of them than worry about a black rifle that could become problematic on a bureaucrat's whim.

I'd want the revolvers in pairs, and I would never miss the opportunity to vote against the people who force us to have these conversations.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Even if one is not currently interested in the AR platform, if a ban occurs and your desires change then what do you do? SOL?

One way to insulate yourself for minimal buy in is Stripped Lowers. Starting prices range from the poverty pony Anderson Manufacturing around $50 well up into the boutique makers like Radian in the $500 range. Excellent quality lowers are available from Sons of Liberty Gun Works for around $120.

The lower is the registered firearm. If you have it before a Ban and you comply with requirements (assuming no confiscation) it can be built into a working "device" at any time with mail order/over the counter components.

Connecticut is an interesting case study. 1993, 2013 & 2023 - AWB dates of increasing levels of BS.

CT continued the 1994 federal AWB in state law by passing law in 1993. Then in 2013 in a Sandy Hook knee jerk reaction CT mandated AW registration and shut down the sale of AW Ban compliant ARs. Post 1993 Pre-Ban ARs (pre Clinton crime bill) were transferrable Post-Ban (purchased after 1994 and prior to 2013) were not.

Ban compliant ARs, sold (93 - 13) without Bayonet lugs, Collapsible stocks and Flash suppressors now registered as AWs could be modified with any "evil feature" since there were no degrees of 'assaultyness' defined in the legislation.

It must be noted that gun legislation is written mostly by buffoons with zero knowledge of guns!

A while after the 1993 legislation went into effect shrewd individuals realized the legislation on the books banned AR rifles and pistols but did not touch the little known firearm category "Other". Bold FFLs started manufacturing what became "The CT Other". An AR with a barrel longer than 12" (not a pistol), no stock but in it's place a pistol brace therefore not a rifle. Walah! Legal to sell. 10's of thousands sold. Many were buying them by the bushelful. During Covid they outsold everything.

Along comes 2023 legislation because our overlords were pissed about the proliferation of Others. The sale of Others has now been banned and the state mandated Others be added to the AW registry. Also the state shutdown the transfer of Pre-Ban ARs and now has required they be added to the AW registry.

There are other facets of the legislation but I hit the high points. In order to understand the complexity of the CT AW ban one must look at the history of the legislation since 1993.

Still you can purchase an AR but it must have a fixed magazine of no more than 10 rounds. You can purchase stripped lowers but they must be built into a compliant weapon, .22 LR, Bolt Action or the fixed mag version.

I am really hoping that SCOTUS will fix all this crap!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Spare parts are on the list.
    Reminds me of the proposed ban in PA that (would have) banned 3D printed parts, even for serialized guns. Sounds like IL has something similar on the parts front.

So ultimately what you need to lay in a stash of is "everything".

It kind of feels like fighting the last war. If it's a state level ban that's causing concern the only way to get ahead of it is to either stack it all deep-- receivers, parts, ammo-- or to be aware of how the next ban that has a shot at passing is actually written. If you're in IL and have lowers to spare that doesn't do you much good if you can't legally procure a BCG. If you're in CO there's apparently no need to stack a bunch of spare BCGs and that money is probably better used for magazines.

Site Supporter
    I was gonna make suggestions, but frankly if the cops come to your house (for whatever reason) and see all your stuff, the games up and it will all be stuff you spent a ton of money on that's now going to a chopsaw whether you end up in the slammer or not.

This is not like having a spare at home in the event of a self-defense shooting that gets your primary confiscated.

Defend yourself with an illegal gun, and the cops take all your shit anyway.

Get good at ban state guns and/or fight like hell to keep your state from becoming a ban state.

We tried here in IL, and while it could be worse, it sucks pretty bad. They snuck it in by more or less excluding the "Glock 19 class" of pistols from the magazine ban by way of banning anything over 15 rounds in a handgun but banned basically all defensive rifles.

I suspect they'll try for the rest of the handguns later.

I would leave for Texas if I could because all my family is there...but I can't so all I can do is donate to our state rifle association and hope SCOTUS gives us a win.

My one source of comfort is that almost nobody registered anything. lol suck it, Pritzker.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

The 38 revolver, the 308 carbine, and the riot gun remain formidable weapons IF you know what you're doing and you train. I'd rather become deeply familiar with any of them than worry about a black rifle that could become problematic on a bureaucrat's whim.

I'd want the revolvers in pairs, and I would never miss the opportunity to vote against the people who force us to have these conversations.
    Okie John and I are different people from wildly different professional backgrounds, and yet I always see eye to eye with him on all this P-F stuff. I’ll take that as a peer-review, and a clue. Plus, he’s right.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

We tried here in IL, and while it could be worse, it sucks pretty bad. They snuck it in by more or less excluding the "Glock 19 class" of pistols from the magazine ban by way of banning anything over 15 rounds in a handgun but banned basically all defensive rifles.

I suspect they'll try for the rest of the handguns later.

I would leave for Texas if I could because all my family is there...but I can't so all I can do is donate to our state rifle association and hope SCOTUS gives us a win.

My one source of comfort is that almost nobody registered anything. lol suck it, Pritzker.
    Pretty much the WA state template. We still have Glocks—albeit low cap ones, aside from grandfathering—but if you’re coming to defensive rifles late in the game, you’re out of luck. I’m sure they will try again for the service pistol category at a later date. Meanwhile, our major cities are becoming fentanyl cultures.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I am really hoping that SCOTUS will fix all this crap!
    You have a pipe dream about SCOTUS fixing things. You cannot fix bad legislation with what scotus can and is willing to do. That’s more the voters decision.

Site Supporter
    It is what they are willing to do. But this is moving into politics that LL wanted to avoid.

My opinion is to buy compliant but efficacious guns. Not an optimal P-F, we love fancy gear answer but if the goal is a workable gun - that's it.

So the 10 round semi pistol
    The 10 round plain jane 223 - be it a Frankstein AR with those weird stocks, the classic Mini, the Ruger PCCs - Certainly a plain Jane 10/22.

NH Shooter is leading the way on the Ruger PCCs.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It is what they are willing to do. But this is moving into politics that LL wanted to avoid.

My opinion is to buy compliant but efficacious guns. Not an optimal P-F, we love fancy gear answer but if the goal is a workable gun - that's it.

So the 10 round semi pistol
    The 10 round plain jane 223 - be it a Frankstein AR with those weird stocks, the classic Mini, the Ruger PCCs - Certainly a plain Jane 10/22.

NH Shooter is leading the way on the Ruger PCCs.

For a primary rifle something like this I have no time on one but I like https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57906

A pcc like nh shooter would be good.

If 10 round mag limits are the norm 9mm or 45 acp single stack 1911s make a lot of sense for concealed carry
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 05-01-2024 at 07:42 PM.

User Tag List