Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any data on .44sp Critical Defense performs out of long barrels 6+ inches

Is there any data on .44sp Critical Defense performs out of long barrels 6+ inches

If itÂ’s fired out of a longer does it under penetrate and fail or does it perform close to the standard .38 special and still do well?

I would assume it's fine, CD and CD don't over expand causing drag really, they under expand.

So 2 legged fine I would guess...
    4 legged may be another story entirely if bigger than dog or cayote that's uncharted I would think

What has a longer than 6" barrel, in .44 special, and what would be it for, if not loaded with magnums

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I would assume it's fine, CD and CD don't over expand causing drag really, they under expand.

So 2 legged fine I would guess...
    4 legged may be another story entirely if bigger than dog or cayote that's uncharted I would think

What has a longer than 6" barrel, in .44 special, and what would be it for, if not loaded with magnums
    Some single actions.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    If itÂ’s fired out of a longer does it under penetrate and fail or does it perform close to the standard .38 special and still do well?
    The penetration seems to be rather shallow. Hornady shows the bullet traveling 9.75 inches in ballistic gel, covered by heavy clothing, from a 2.5 inch revolver. Personally, I don't believe a longer barrel will help it much.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    The penetration seems to be rather shallow. Hornady shows the bullet traveling 9.75 inches in ballistic gel, covered by heavy clothing, from a 2.5 inch revolver. Personally, I don't believe a longer barrel will help it much.
    Do you mean it would help it penetrate much or it would decrease penetration?

IMO a longer barrel may help it penetrate further, but I seriously doubt it will make it the preferred 14-16 inches (if it expands) in 10% ordnance gel. Depending on your intended usage and preference it may still be short on penetration. There are several "tests" on YouTube utilizing Clear Ballistics gel but none that I am aware of using real 10% ordnance gel.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    IMO a longer barrel may help it penetrate further, but I seriously doubt it will make it the preferred 14-16 inches (if it expands) in 10% ordnance gel. Depending on your intended usage and preference it may still be short on penetration. There are several "tests" on YouTube utilizing Clear Ballistics gel but none that I am aware of using real 10% ordnance gel.
    That might no be so bad, it’s not optimal, but I live in a warm place, so I can probably get by with 10-13 inches though if it performed like the .38 does that would obviously be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    That might no be so bad, it’s not optimal, but I live in a warm place, so I can probably get by with 10-13 inches though if it performed like the .38 does that would obviously be much better.
    JHPS are funny, many will Pen less with longer barrels as greater exp so more drag

I think in this case CD mostly already do what they are going to do you will get a bit more exp and you might get farther from that long. Not ideal but, like I said without any data on it. I was confusing it originally with the .45 colt I think does 11.25 like the .38+p and others do.

Not sure it's purpose, or why another more normal sized pistol not used if for 2 legged defense
    So, is anything from Buffalo Bore, Underwood, or Double Tap, or River worthy to be considered?

To be clear, frontal shots 10-11 Organic, 13 Clear Is what my best guess is. I wouldn't sweat it if occasional carry, but I'm not sure I would be choosing that revolver or system or round for EDC

Gun Sam has many .44 S vids look those up, and while going by Clear results isn't awesome, when no Organic Gel data to really go by, his Real World MDF shots make the Clear stuff somewhat useful as the board retards Pen.

There is also Punch now

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Gun Sam has many .44 S vids look those up, and while going by Clear results isn't awesome, when no Organic Gel data to really go by, his Real World MDF shots make the Clear stuff somewhat useful as the board retards Pen.

There is also Punch now
    It’s just a cowboy gun I happened upon on sale and figured I’d get some decent ammo for it, just in case. I ended up underwood’s .44 fbi load, but I figure CD would have zero recoil.

User Tag List