Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Guitar Nerds: Mary Spender Plays Mark Knopfler's Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I guess it depends. David Gilmour's 126 guitar auction netted $26M which he gave away (to some climate change group). In his mind, it was a more productive use. Besides, those guitars are nice but not magical. The artist that owned them was. I bet you that you couldn't tell the difference if a competent guitarist played on Gilmour's "The Black Strat" which sold for $3M vs any other well played 1969 Fender Stratocaster.
    It's a bit like Eddie VanHalen's rig- a lot of great players like Steve Luthiker have noted that when they played through his rig with his guitars, they sounded like themselves.
    Or when I played that bass owned by Jaco, I didn't sound at all like Jaco.
    I do see the value in what Gilmour did though, even if I don't agree with the cause.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's a bit like Eddie VanHalen's rig- a lot of great players like Steve Luthiker have noted that when they played through his rig with his guitars, they sounded like themselves.
    Or when I played that bass owned by Jaco, I didn't sound at all like Jaco.
    I do see the value in what Gilmour did though, even if I don't agree with the cause.
    I read an interview where Mark Knopfler said he couldn't reproduce the exact sound of the opening guitar intro for Money For Nothing. I guess they were trying various things in the studio when they came to this discovery. Alas, that recipe for that secret sauce was lost to time. Maybe one of his guitar has secret "B switch" that will trigger it?

User Tag List