Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who has quit caffeine??

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I usually drink a pot of coffee a day starting between 9-10 in the morning sometimes having the last cup at 6 pm. I usually sleep about 7-8 hours a night. I might have Coke with dinner. Coffee never really bothers me but energy drinks let me see sounds.
    My mother-in-law has always had a cup of coffee every night before bed.

My patients ask me all the time: is caffeine bad for me?

Levels of safe consumption – There is insufficient evidence for promoting or discouraging coffee and/or tea consumption in the daily diet.

For the majority of healthy adults, consuming less than 400 mg of caffeine a day appears to be safe. In children and adolescents, consumption of less than 2.5 mg/kg per day appears to be safe. Individuals, especially adolescents, need to be cautioned about excessive caffeine intake and mixing caffeine with alcohol and other drugs.

•Mortality – Most studies show that there may be a modest inverse relationship between coffee and tea consumption and all-cause mortality. Basically, the more you drink coffee the less likely you will die....and maybe your coworkers' survival will increase.

•Short-term benefits – Consumption of caffeinated beverages is associated with some short-term benefits, including increased mental alertness, improvements in vigilance and reaction time, and improved athletic performance. Caffeine, in moderate doses, mitigates many of the adverse effects of sleep deprivation and jet lag on cognitive performance and mental alertness.

•Possible long-term benefits – Possible long-term benefits of caffeinated beverages are dose dependent. Caffeine is associated with a reduced risk of Parkinson disease, Alzheimer disease, alcoholic cirrhosis, and gout. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee are also associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

●Adverse effects – Consumption of high levels of caffeine can be associated with short-term adverse effects, including headache, anxiety, tremors, and insomnia, depending on prior patterns of caffeine use. Chronic users are less sensitive to the adverse behavioral effects of caffeine than non-users. In the long term, caffeine is also associated with generalized anxiety disorder and substance abuse disorders, although causality has not been established.

Although several studies have linked coffee consumption with increase or decrease in risk of various cancers, definitive data are lacking.

●Caffeine withdrawal – Although the existence of caffeine dependence and abuse are controversial, caffeine withdrawal is a well-documented clinical syndrome, with headache being the most common symptom.

●Cardiovascular outcomes – Concerns regarding possible deleterious cardiovascular effects of caffeine when used in small or moderate amounts (eg, ≤6 cups of coffee per day) on cardiovascular outcomes such as death or stroke are not supported by the literature. There is insufficient evidence to draw conclusions about the cardiovascular effects of consuming more than this amount of coffee per day.

●Expert consensus does not recommend discontinuing caffeine intake for the purpose of improving cardiovascular outcomes. However, it is reasonable to attempt a trial of caffeine cessation in patients who are bothered by palpitations.

●Impact on lipids – The available evidence suggests that coffee consumption does not have a major impact on the lipid profile. However, it is possible that there is a slight increase in blood pressure with chronic coffee use.

●Cardiac arrhythmias – Caffeine in doses typically consumed does not provoke arrhythmias, and its routine use in patients who have or are at risk for arrhythmia is acceptable. However, patients with underlying cardiac disease should be counseled to avoid ingesting "energy drinks" and other beverages with excessive amounts of caffeine.

LIST O' DRINKS BELOW

Coffee, brewed 8 (235) 102 to 200
    Coffee, generic instant 8 (235) 27 to 173
    Coffee, generic decaffeinated 8 (235) 3 to 12
    Dunkin' Donuts drip coffee 14 (414) 210
    Dunkin' Donuts latte 14 (414) 166
    Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee 24 (710) 297
    Dunkin' Donuts frozen coffee 24 (710) 295
    Folgers Classic Roast (2 tbsp grounds) 12 (355) 120 to 160
    Folgers Classic Decaf (2 tbsp grounds) 12 (355) 2 to 8
    Starbucks drip coffee, Pike Place® roast 16 (470) 310
    Starbucks drip coffee, Blonde roast 16 (470) 360
    Starbucks iced coffee 16 (470) 165
    Starbucks espresso 1.5 (44) 150
    Starbucks latte, 1 espresso shot 12 (355) 75
    Bottled coffee drinks Serving size, oz (mL) Caffeine, mg
    Death Wish Coffee Co. Unsweetened Cold Brew 8 (235) 300
    High Brew Nitro black cold brew 10 (296) 200
    Starbucks black unsweetened cold brew 12 (355) 195
    Starbucks Coffee Frappuccino 13.7 (405) 110
    Chameleon Organic Cold-Brew oat milk latte 12 (355) 100
    La Colombe Triple Latte 9 (266) 175
    La Colombe Double Latte 9 (266) 120
    Teas Serving size, oz (mL) Caffeine, mg
    Black tea, brewed 1 tea bag 55 to 60
    Green tea, brewed 1 tea bag 35 to 58
    Brew Dr. Uplift yerba mate 16 (470) 150
    Honest T Organic Just Black tea 16.9 (500) 86
    KeVita Master Brew Kombucha 15.2 (450) 68
    Lipton lemon iced tea 16.9 (500) 21
    Pure Leaf honey green tea 16.9 (500) 45
    Pure Leaf unsweetened black tea 16.9 (500) 86
    Snapple lemon tea 16 (470) 37
    Tazo organic iced black tea 13.8 (408) 31 to 45
    Herbal teas 1 tea bag 0
    Soft drinks Serving size, oz (mL) Caffeine, mg
    FDA official limit for cola and pepper soft drinks 12 (355) 71
    7-Up, regular or diet 12 (355) 0
    A&W Root Beer, regular or diet 12 (355) 0
    Barq's Root Beer 12 (355) 22
    Coca Cola, regular or zero sugar 12 (355) 43
    Diet Coke 12 (355) 46
    Dr. Pepper, regular or diet 12 (355) 41
    Fresca 12 (355) 0
    Ginger ale 12 (355) 0
    Mountain Dew, regular or diet 12 (355) 54
    Pepsi, regular or diet 12 (355) 35 to 38
    Sprite, regular or diet 12 (355) 0
    Sunkist, regular or diet 12 (355) 19
    Zevia Mountain Zevia 12 (355) 55
    Zevia cola 12 (355) 45
    Zevia cherry cola 12 (355) 38
    Energy drinks Serving size, oz (mL) Caffeine, mg
    5-hour Energy, regular strength 1.9 (56) 200
    5-hour Energy, extra strength 1.9 (56) 230
    Alani Nu 12 (355) 200
    Bang Energy 16 (470) 300
    C4 Energy 16 (470) 200
    Celsius 12 (355) 200
    Full Throttle 16 (470) 160
    Monster Energy 16 (470) 160
    Red Bull 8.4 (248) 80
    Starbucks Tripleshot Energy 15 (444) 225
    V8 +Energy 8 (235) 80
    Zevia Energy 12 (355) 120
    Caffeinated water Serving size, oz (mL) Caffeine, mg
    AHA Black Cherry + Coffee Sparkling Water 12 (355) 30
    Bubly Bounce Caffeinated Sparkling Water 12 (355) 35
    Hydrant Energy 0.3 oz packet, makes 8 to 16 oz 100
    Nuun Energy tablets 1 tablet, makes 16 oz 80
    MiO Energy 0.5 tsp (2.5 mL), makes 8 oz 60
    Starbucks Refreshers, can 12 (355) 50
    Vitaminwater Energy 20 (591) 50
    Water Joe 20 (591) 70
    Chocolate, ice cream, yogurt Serving size, oz Caffeine, mg
    Ben & Jerry's Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch Ice 5.3 49
    Ben & Jerry's Brewed to Matter Ice Cream 5.3 47
    Breyers Coffee Frozen Dairy Dessert 5.3 20
    Chobani Coffee & Cream Greek Yogurt 5.3 3
    Dannon Lowfat Coffee Yogurt 5.3 40
    Häagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream 5.3 29
    Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 1.5 10
    Over-the-counter drugs or supplements Serving size, various units Caffeine, mg
    Bayer Back & Body Extra Strength 2 caplets 65
    Excedrine Migraine 2 caplets 130
    Hydroxycut Platinum 2 capsules 200
    Jet-Alert Regular Strength 1 tablet 100
    Midol Complete 2 caplets 120
    NoDoz 1 caplet 200

I follow this chart, drink in moderation, and have not had any problems with my sleep. Not related to caffeine, anyway.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Personally, I find energy drinks to be disgusting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I recently switched to half-caff and pretty much eliminated diet coke. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and one at 3:00 everyday. I should probably eliminate it completely.
    **OK**

Mostly caffeine free for a bit over a decade. Never drank coffee, just energy drinks as a young grunt. Cut back after a Ugandan on the opposing shift from me was found dead in his room from a heart attack, age 40, surrounded by empty cans of Rip-Its.

I'll rarely have a caffeinated Clif bar when getting on an early morning hike that's going to go all day. Generally I find that no caffeine means that my energy level is a little more consistent. I still get highs and lows, but they aren't sharp spikes either way.

Still sleep like shit most of the time though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Personally, I find energy drinks to be disgusting.
    For stuff like Red Bull, I agree. But the mocha-flavored ones are pretty good.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Don't know what they put in it but I love DD drip coffee, cream & sugar.....but my reflux hates it.

Not a whole lot.
    One mug for breakfast, one at midmorning IF with friends, cola or iced tea for lunch. Half a bottle of green tea at supper, or decaf coffee.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Had a cup of regular today with breakfast out - lox and bagels. At home, I make this brew:

1. A touch of brown sugar
    2. A big teaspoon of Nestle's Clasico Instant Coffe
    3. A big teaspoon of Hershey's Extra Dark cocoa powder
    4. Water - and microwave.

Sit and read something intellectual (currently the history of India) like those pompous Jackasses on House Hunters (someone's favorite). Oh, I need my soaking tube, quartz countertops and place drink my coffee.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List