Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are all 9mm Glocks the same?

Regarding the conceal-ability issue, I found that the G19 and G17 have been equally difficult to conceal, IWB and OWB. I have to drop all the way down to a “baby” Glock, to achieve noticeably better conceal-ability. We all have differing body dimensions.

Notably, frame width does not seem to affect concealment, on my body. The P229 is a CHUNKY pistol, but, it does have rounded corners, especially the “SAS” version. I found the P229 to conceal better, on my body, than a G19 or G17. When I transitioned duty pistols, from the P229 to the G17, I maintained my habit of tending to carry a duty-sized pistol during personal time, so, had to start wearing fuller-cut outer/cover garments.

IWB, forward of the hip bones, a.k.a. AIWB, is where the G19’s slightly shorter grip makes a difference in conceal-ability, compared to the G17, BUT, really, both the G19 and G17 are too blocky/bricky/boxy to work for me, inside my trousers. Neither is comfortable, and neither is concealable enough to fool anybody. I have to drop all the way down to a “baby” Glock, for AIWB conceal-ability, and, even then, only with the Phlster Enigma holster, for comfort over an extended time. (Really, revolvers are my best option, for AIWB.)

Notably, there was one niche, in which I found a G19 worked better than a G17, and, concealment had nothing to do with it. In the tight confines of the Ford Explorer-based “Police Interceptor,” I found that the right seat bolster tended to “intercept” the grip of a G17, when I had to bail-out of the front seat passenger door quickly. When I had to start driving a Ford, instead of my MUCH-preferred Chevy Tahoe, I learned to carry a G19, in the duty holster, when I had a partner who was driving. That fraction of an inch of grip length made an amazing difference. When driving, or paired-up with a partner who was driving a Tahoe, or using one of the Crown Vics still in service, I carried the G17. This only affected the tail end of my career, thankfully.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Changes in work vehicle made a difference for me too. In my case, we stayed with Ford but installed different consoles. I changed from a G45 to a G19 to be able to eliminate interference with the new configuration.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Im looking at my first Glock, and Im torn on which one to get. From a reliability standpoint, Is the Glock 48, 43 etc just as reliable as the Glock 19?
    No, not in my case. I had a 48 milled for an optic that would not run carry ammo. My (2) Gen 5 19s, 26 and a 34 were flawless over 5-6 years and (idk exact count) maybe 9-10k rounds.

Either way, I’d suggest first joining GSSF. That gives you access to matches and an annual pistol purchase coupon you can use to get to near blue label pricing on most all the popular Glocks. For example a Gen 5 MOS 19 is $489.50. And you get the opportunity to take the Glock Armorer course, which is well worth the money.

https://gssf.pro/membership/pistol-purchase/

Sample size of 2.
    I have 2 G48s one original silver slide and the other an MOS with TLR7 and 407K. I have about 5000 rounds through each. Mostly 124gr plated reloads but a couple hundred hollowpoints.
    I’ve been shooting the guns until they get dirty enough to have a malfunction. Usually takes at least 1000 rounds before they suffer a stovepipe. Then I clean and lube them and get another 1000 rounds.
    That’s pretty reliable in my book. I think if they were clean and lubed you could rely on them.

I have a G43 too and haven’t had a malfunction with it yet but have only a few hundred rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    No, not in my case. I had a 48 milled for an optic that would not run carry ammo. My (2) Gen 5 19s, 26 and a 34 were flawless over 5-6 years and (idk exact count) maybe 9-10k rounds.

Either way, I’d suggest first joining GSSF. That gives you access to matches and an annual pistol purchase coupon you can use to get to near blue label pricing on most all the popular Glocks. For example a Gen 5 MOS 19 is $489.50. And you get the opportunity to take the Glock Armorer course, which is well worth the money.

https://gssf.pro/membership/pistol-purchase/
    Me too had a g48 that stopped running carry ammo post mill ad optic

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Me too had a g48 that stopped running carry ammo post mill ad optic
    Sometimes I wonder if there would be fewer issues with the 48 if Glock had not used a 43 RSA in it, but a spring perhaps better matched to the longer slide, like Sig did with the P365XL. Reusing parts is a great idea but this might be why the operating envelope / timing might be narrower than the double stacks, say.

Hey! The Glock 19 is a classic and it’s got a rep for being a trusty workhorse, but the Glock 43 and 48 are also solid choices. They’re all reliable, but they have different sizes and magazine capacities which might sway your decision depending on what you’re looking for. The 43 is super sleek for concealed carry, while the 48 is a bit larger with a slim design. The 19 is more of a do-it-all kind of pistol.

End of the day, it’s all about what clicks for you. If possible, try them out at a range and see which one vibes with you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if there would be fewer issues with the 48 if Glock had not used a 43 RSA in it, but a spring perhaps better matched to the longer slide, like Sig did with the P365XL. Reusing parts is a great idea but this might be why the operating envelope / timing might be narrower than the double stacks, say.
    I believe yes.

Buddy's wife has a g43x mos. Doest want to run from the factory

The G19 was the gold standard until the G45 came out . I have both and feel that the the G45 is the new Glock king for all around use .
    Just my 2 cents .

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    The G19 was the gold standard until the G45 came out . I have both and feel that the the G45 is the new Glock king for all around use .
    Just my 2 cents .
    Plus, my $0.02. Mine is actually a G19x, but, it has a G45 upper, that I bought already milled for an ACRO, so, is a half-G45.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List