Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are all 9mm Glocks the same?

I've been debating adding a g43x or g48 for my suit carry gun (OWB) and all reports seem its the luck of the draw with regards to whether you get a reliable one depending on your configuration with optics and ammo. I really want a slim gun that I can get a full grip on but the reliability reports are really driving me nuts on it. A g26 and a +2 extension gives me a full grip but is basically the same size as a g19 in the place that matters to me the most for concealment (circled in the pic). In my testing, the front of the magazine baseplate is always the furthest most protrusion no matter how I carry and what prints for me - the grip hump is not a factor.

Name:  g19worn-1 (1).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-30-2024 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I've been debating adding a g43x or g48 for my suit carry gun (OWB) and all reports seem its the luck of the draw with regards to whether you get a reliable one depending on your configuration with optics and ammo. I really want a slim gun that I can get a full grip on but the reliability reports are really driving me nuts on it. A g26 and a +2 extension gives me a full grip but is basically the same size as a g19 in the place that matters to me the most for concealment (circled in the pic). In my testing, the front of the magazine baseplate is always the furthest most protrusion no matter how I carry and what prints for me - the grip hump is not a factor.

Name:  g19worn-1 (1).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  47.2 KB
    An appendix holster will print worst at the back corner of the grip (top). In that case most extended magazines or grip extensions will print less then a longer grip even if they wind up being the same overall length.

For example my G43 prints about the same with the pinky extension factory magazine as it does with a flush fit at least when you’re upright.

I believe that the G17, G19 and....wait for it...G21 (and quite possibly the G34) and G26 are the Glock durability and reliability gold standards. The G30 may be up there too. If I absolutely had to pick only one, it would be the G17.

I personally don't like the feel or the reliability reports pertaining to any of the Slim Line Glocks-be they G42, G43, G48 or G36.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    An appendix holster will print worst at the back corner of the grip (top). In that case most extended magazines or grip extensions will print less then a longer grip even if they wind up being the same overall length.

For example my G43 prints about the same with the pinky extension factory magazine as it does with a flush fit at least when you’re upright.
    This is not what I have found. I did another wardrobe test just now for aiwb and it is always the magazine that prints for me and never the grip hump. I will concede that for aiwb it's mostly the rear point of the mag baseplate vs the front for owb carry (circled portion in previous Pic) that protrudes for me. However it is always the baseplate and never the grip hump. I did this for the following :

G17 - both points of mag baseplate protrude.
    G19 - I can conceal this fine but rear point of mag baseplate protrudes if I was pressed to answer this question when in a weird position
    G26 w/ +2 baseplate - I can conceal this fine but if pressed this was the bottom of the +2 base plate that protrudes (same as owb). This makes sense as it's the furthest point.

Interestingly enough, I didn't have a G26 mag with +2 assembled so I put one together for this. It's actually not the same size as a g19. It's the same size as a g19 w/o a mag inserted which adds 1/4 inch. So if you are on the ragged edge of concealing a g19... A G26 with +2 could help a little.

My blue label G48 was reliable-ish when I got it. It would feed and fire, but sometimes the slide would hang just short of going into battery until the trigger was released. When you released the trigger it would continue into battery and fire when I pressed the trigger again. I think there was one time I had to give it a bump at the back of he slide to get it into battery.

It went back to Glock and got a new rsa and magazines. It came back and was a lot better, but still slightly hung up a couple times until the trigger was released.

I don’t know what part would be causing that. I don’t know enough about the way Glocks work to know why the trigger being at the back of the travel would cause the slide to not go all the way into battery.

But it hasn’t failed to go into battery when the trigger was released and I’ve done some mag dumps like acorns were hitting my squad, and it’s has been fine during those. I’m at around 400-500 total rounds through it so far.

It's 2024-The only really good Glock is one of two things
    1. One made by someone else, you know with good Ergos, texture, undercut, memory gas pads, Trigger, metal sights, maybe also well done Optics Ready without plates. May I suggest you look at BUL
    2. A Free Duty Issued one that saves your life

In 1995 when I had my first Block it was the best.

Flame Away....

As for slim, so many good Micro9s and better Macro9s, made for mags that hold more than 10 out there to choose from.

If I had to carry a Block in normal clothes in 2024, it would be a Gen 5 19 or 23 or G30 and was following the Gen 5 G30 threads re reliability etc. Though I wouldn't hate getting some time on a 48 to just kinda of see, and think the pmags are considered good to go with JHPs anyways. Form Factor and Grip Gen 5 G30 seems best to me.
    And Yes, I am 100% Qualified w a Block

POT Stirred....

I have had several flavors of slimline glock and although they do have a much stronger recoil impulse than the double stack models, I have had no reliability issues whatsoever.

The unfortunate fact with these guns is that the reliability concerns seem largely tied in with use of the 15 round aftermarket shield and mags. I find that 90% of users feel that they are necessary for use with this gun but the shield mags and mag catch are the major contributor to the perceived reliability problems. I have exclusively used the factory 10 rounders and I don't think I have ever had a problem with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    I have had several flavors of slimline glock and although they do have a much stronger recoil impulse than the double stack models, I have had no reliability issues whatsoever.

The unfortunate fact with these guns is that the reliability concerns seem largely tied in with use of the 15 round aftermarket shield and mags. I find that 90% of users feel that they are necessary for use with this gun but the shield mags and mag catch are the major contributor to the perceived reliability problems. I have exclusively used the factory 10 rounders and I don't think I have ever had a problem with the gun.
    I have a 43, 43X, and a 48.
    4,228 rounds thru the three.
    300 of those hollow points.
    1 malfunction and that was a brass that had a bad rim.
    I consider my slims reliable.
    All stock except sights and SCD.

I have def have had issues with oem mags and slimline glocks

Reliability concerns are largely based on reports here from people who work in the .gov and their experiences with them on a macro level.

Yes it is idiotic to use aftermarket mags with a Glock other than for practice

User Tag List