Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI- .22lr AR?

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    In peoples opinions is a .22 AR a better choice for a semi 22 than a ruger 10/22?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    For a highly customizable .22LR rifle that is an open ended design - probably not. While able to take most AR parts the Ruger is infinitely more customizable running the gamut from general plinkster to tack driver to absurdly fast race gun. For a general purpose plinking rifle I say they are about equal. In terms of being a tactical rife understudy and having the form and function of an AR, the Smith wins hands down.
    I wanted to have just a fun 22LR that was a bit of a form factor equivalent, maybe more of a cousin than a twin. I do have a 9mm AR that I just love, love, love, so maybe that influenced my decision to not just get a 22LR AR, but I built a 10/22 on a Midwest Industries chassis and have been very happy I did.

I will caution that this a step onto a very slippery slope. My initial scheme was to take the rifle I ALREADY HAD, and slip it into the chassis and finish it off with some of the AR furniture I ALREADY HAD, and I lie like that to myself ALL THE TIME!
    So I bought the Brownells receiver and a Faxon barrel and the Ruger BX trigger (the only Ruger component in the thing) and to differentiate it (I used green on my 300BO) bought all new grey Magpul stuff, just so it could be a different color. Moved one of my MROs (that I ACTUALLY DID HAVE) over to it, and it didn't like any of the old (the conventional wisdom is the springs get lame) magazines so I bought a batch of new BX-25s, and a Maglula. So the cheap and easy plan worked out just like it always does, but I am happy with the outcome. It just needs one more thing and it will be perfect. But then I would have a spare barrel, soooooo...

Name:  MMc 10 22.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  57.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    After I purchased my S&W, I was reading about how one of the keys the the M&Ps greatness is it’s magazines. I also read that there is a conversion kit that allows the CMMG upper to use the M&P magazines, so I promptly ordered one for my rifle. After a finicky instal and the use of CMMG mini mags, my dedicated rifle started shooting like the proverbial sewing machine WITH the same manual of arms as the CF rifle. I just have to be careful what I feed it. Couldn’t be happier with either rifle
    [patented PF thread drift]What conversion kit for M&P mags did you go with? [/patented PF thread drift]
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    [patented PF thread drift]What conversion kit for M&P mags did you go with? [/patented PF thread drift]
    https://www.redi-mag.com/product/bet...azine-adaptor/

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I have both the M&P 15-22 and a Tippmann. Thousands of rounds through both.

My 15-22 has a polymer/fiber receiver is it is quite a bit lighter than a regular AR. That may be good or bad depending on who is shooting it and why. The magazines on the 15-22 load a bit easier than the Tippmann. That said, the Tippmann is the one I gravitate to because it has both a metal receiver and heavier barrel so it feels more like a real AR. The Tippmann mags can also be a PITA to get to feed sometimes - you have to pay attention when loading to ensure the cartridges don't get wonky in the stack. Once I figured that out, the Tippmann has run 100%. All I do to either is occasionally wipe them down and re-lube. A lot of fun for the money here.
    I had two of the 15-22's several years back, they were solid. In fact the other day I stumbled across an old mag for mine that I had missed and not sold off, reminded me this was the first .22 AR I had where the mags were actually good.

The last couple years I got into Tippmanns and I too, prefer them somewhat over the 15-22. I find mine handles and feels more like a real AR due to weight, metal parts. Also I put a better trigger in it, and overall it's more accurate. But...if the main or only purpose for it is as a .22lr AR trainer...I'd probably stick with a 15-22 as well, for the reasons others said, more cost effective and run well for the $$. I'm trying to use the Tippmann as my all purpose semiauto .22, so it replaced my 15-22's AND my 10-22's, which I had built up over years, spent too much on, and eventually just sat in the safe. The Tippmann gets used frequently for everything from plinking to training, it's a great multi-use semiauto.

After looking at 10/22 mods, the M&P15-22, CMMG and The Tippmann Arms M4-22 I went another direction. The PSA 22lr upper is discontinued. The Bear Creek Arsenal was a hard pass. Right to Bear uppers never seem to be in stock. Everything else was out of production or hard to find.

I decided to build a standard 556 AR lower with spare parts laying around. If not, I would have purchased an inexpensive $119 PSA 556/"milspec" rifle (or pistol) complete lower.
    And a Borebuddy upper: https://borebuddy.com/product/ar22-economy-uppers/
    I wish it had a dust cover. No range time yet. Borebuddy does run sales from time to time. I got lucky.

The Tippmann Arms M4-22 did look slick and I wish they sold a bare upper compatible with a standard 556 lower. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...lspec.1217181/

Side benefit to having a spare 556 lower ready to go should the need arise or more room in your safe. The weight and feel is very similar to my BCM ELW MCMR carbines.

I am still undecided on whether to add an adapter to take M&P15-22 mags. Per research, an A2 Birdcage can get gunked up with lead. Hopefully a thread and crown protector can be found.

For now I'll run the 15rd black dog magazines with the plastic lips. They are about the size of a 20rd 556 mag, which is fantastic.

Also, check your bullet noses for feed damage. The steel lip Black Dog mags often feed at too shallow of an angle to get good damage-free feeding. 15-22 mags feed without any dents to bullet noses. A faster twist barrel is going to be more likely to throw a damaged bullet as a flier than a slower twist barrel. The shallow feed angle issue shows up randomly, and some mags are more likley to feed at a shallow angle than others. We're local to Black dog and get a lot of mags from them in person, and they tell us to not use the steel lip mags and that they were a gimmick and they only keep making them since people keep buying. This has been our experience with them. Take all 4 of your mags, label them 1-4. Load them to 5 rounds and set them all next to each other and look at the feed angle. Repeat with 10 loaded, then 15 loaded. You'll probably see feed angle get closer to correct on any bad mags as the spring pressure increases.
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...#post-13151640
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 05-10-2024 at 01:55 PM.

User Tag List