Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I would nominate the Grand Seiko spring drive, mine is the SBGA 229 diver in stainless, also available in Ti as the SBGA 231. I think there are successor models now. It is the most accurate watch I’ve ever owned. Spring Drive is sort of a hybrid mechanical/quartz, no battery required. There are many spring drive models available. Grand Seiko also makes mechanical and quartz models if you prefer. GS makes about 30,000 watches annually as compared to Rolex at about 1 million a year.

Attachment 117684
    I love power meters on watches, they are just so cool and actually useful. A few years back Orient use to put them on the Neptune/Triton divers, unfortunately the current version is missing the power meter. If they would bring back the power meter, I’d buy one in a second.

PS gorgeous watch.

I've never spent a ton of money on watches, as I prefer simplicity and durability above style, I guess. I have owned Seiko, Casio G-Shock. Luminox, Victorinox, Citizen, and others over the years and still have most of them. But the one watch that I wear about 90% of the time for all activities is my Casio G-Shock Mudmaster. This watch has been virtually bomb proof and has been on my wrist when hunting, shooting matches, doing home and yard chores, riding ATV's, and everything in between. Zero issues with the watch or band, keeps extremely accutate time, and is as durable and hardy as any watch I have ever owned.

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gsh...caAu8fEALw_wcB

Caveat:
    I live a boring, quiet, simple life in a sub/urban area and my dress style is very informal, as a result my everyday needs may not be yours.
    I like watches and that enjoyment is a hobby that doesn’t necessarily reflect practicality since I live a quiet boring life.

As it stands, my every day watch is a JLC Reverso Classic Large

Name:  IMG_6408.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  29.8 KB

My choice for a “I have ‘rougher’ activities” to carry out, aka an all-rounder, is the Rolex Explorer 1 (whether 36mm or 40mm, the choice is yours; this is a 40mm)

Name:  IMG_6542.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

A little extra info: Rolexes from the 70s, 80s or 90s aren’t the same animal as today’s Rolex. I have accidentally banged mine against walls, doors, steel frames and many such hard surface, dropped them from over chest height (accidentally) and done other sundry things that would make an AD pass out (including shooting hundreds of rounds) without any loss in reliability or precision. But that may just be me.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

More Grand Seiko thoughts

When I say my GS diver is the most accurate watch I’ve ever owned, it is by a large margin. Mine runs 1-2 seconds fast in a month. None of my other quartz watches come close, including a couple of high end Omega quartz models. In comparison, Rolex claims 1-2 seconds a day accuracy. I really value accuracy in my watch. I also hate having to replace batteries in quartz watches. I used to favor Omegas over Rolex because I didn’t feel like paying for the Rolex name. I also like the handwork in the Grand Seiko watches, you can really see it in the dials and hand polished finish of the cases. When I bought my spring drive about 4 years ago, there were pretty good discounts on new ones. I don’t think the discounts are as good nowadays as the GS secret is out.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Caveat:
    I live a boring, quiet, simple life in a sub/urban area and my dress style is very informal, as a result my everyday needs may not be yours.
    I like watches and that enjoyment is a hobby that doesn’t necessarily reflect practicality since I live a quiet boring life.

As it stands, my every day watch is a JLC Reverso Classic Large

Name:  IMG_6408.jpg
Size:  29.8 KB

My choice for a “I have ‘rougher’ activities” to carry out, aka an all-rounder, is the Rolex Explorer 1 (whether 36mm or 40mm, the choice is yours; this is a 40mm)

Name:  IMG_6542.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

A little extra info: Rolexes from the 70s, 80s or 90s aren’t the same animal as today’s Rolex. I have accidentally banged mine against walls, doors, steel frames and many such hard surface, dropped them from over chest height (accidentally) and done other sundry things that would make an AD pass out (including shooting hundreds of rounds) without any loss in reliability or precision. But that may just be me.
    Do you think the old ones were tougher or more fragile?

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    When I say my GS diver is the most accurate watch I’ve ever owned, it is by a large margin. Mine runs 1-2 seconds fast in a month. None of my other quartz watches come close, including a couple of high end Omega quartz models. In comparison, Rolex claims 1-2 seconds a day accuracy. I really value accuracy in my watch. I also hate having to replace batteries in quartz watches. I used to favor Omegas over Rolex because I didn’t feel like paying for the Rolex name. I also like the handwork in the Grand Seiko watches, you can really see it in the dials and hand polished finish of the cases. When I bought my spring drive about 4 years ago, there were pretty good discounts on new ones. I don’t think the discounts are as good nowadays as the GS secret is out.
    I have had a SBGE 283 on my short list for a while -- GMT and titanium.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do you think the old ones were tougher or more fragile?
    Without question more fragile, Rolex has since moved to a full balance bridge and added their paraflex shock absorbers. I can also echo the above. My EXP1 has probably seen ~10k of full power 45, been knocked around on the boat quite a bit, dug holes, swung kettlebells, etc. with no issue. It keeps time within less than .5s per day, which for an auto is pretty insane.

I've had a thing for dive watches since I was a kid, decades before I started diving. A watch without a rotating bezel just looks naked to me, although I could rock an Explorer II. Grand Seiko does amazing things with ti but I generally don't like polished. If I was loaded (money, I mean, not drunk) I'd get a Pelagos 39 and a blue Pelagos to go with my LHD and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I've never spent a ton of money on watches, as I prefer simplicity and durability above style, I guess. I have owned Seiko, Casio G-Shock. Luminox, Victorinox, Citizen, and others over the years and still have most of them. But the one watch that I wear about 90% of the time for all activities is my Casio G-Shock Mudmaster. This watch has been virtually bomb proof and has been on my wrist when hunting, shooting matches, doing home and yard chores, riding ATV's, and everything in between. Zero issues with the watch or band, keeps extremely accutate time, and is as durable and hardy as any watch I have ever owned.

I would really like it if that Casio had sapphire, solar and atomic but that gets to a nearly $500 watch, where there are a number of alternatives.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Mine is the discontinued 39mm Explorer (214270). Just about perfect for my wrist.

The Explorer is the 'stealth' Rolex. As others have mentioned, it is the watch for all occasions. Dress it up, dress it down, the Explorer works. It flies under the radar but is a Bat Signal for other watch nerds. It is the most accurate mechanical watch I own.

And I love the vintage Explorer advertisements.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

I have that exact same Mudmaster, it’s actually my second one. The first was the version that came with the flat dark earth strap and more subdued display. As I got older I found I was having a harder time picking out the numbers on the subdued, in stead of being able to read it at a glance I had to look at it for a second.

I agree they are very tough, comfortable and informative watches. They do have one con though, they go through batteries pretty quick. I bought the FDE one in late 2017 or early 2018 I believe, ive changed the batteries (takes two) three times. While I was sure to lube the O ring each time I should have changes it the second time, didnt and it ended up getting some moisture inside and fogging up. It’s starting to show its age, still works and keeps good time but the second hand will get stuck at the 40 second mark sometimes. Give it a tap and it will start moving again.

Bought the green one in late 2021 and just had to change the batteries in it, if I ever buy another it will be the solar powered one for sure.

User Tag List