Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    This is my one watch, a Sinn U1 I have had for coming up on 15 years. Up until a few months ago I wore it ~everyday regardless of the activity. I like the overall look of the watch and the simplicity of the face. After having it for about 6 or so years it stopped keeping time. I sent it in for repairs and it basically needed cleaning and overhaul. I think it was ~$400 at the time. It came back keeping noticeably better time than it did when it was new.

Fast forward to a few months ago and it started losing "charge" overnight. I reached out to the Sinn US authorized repair center and was told that the overhaul costs were now ~$700 and a YEAR backlog before they could get to it. I checked with sending it to Sinn in Germany but I can't remember now what dissuaded me from that at the time. Needless to say this was both frustrating and unacceptable so the watch has been sitting in my safe since last fall and I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. Perhaps this is the norm with mechanical watches and my expectations are not in line with reality. Based on my experience with this Sinn I hope I never end up on a German submarine!

So while this is my one watch I would not recommend it to others if you plan to wear it daily.

I would like to get a similar "clean" looking watch for less money so I will be checking out the posts in this thread. What is the Glock 19 of watches (that doesn't look like a 1980's calculator)? At this point I don't care if it is quartz or mechanical?

Attachment 117668
    As @Totem Polar noted, your U1 has an ETA movement (the 2824-2, IIRC; the new ones have a Sellita SW 200-1, which is more or less a clone of the ETA). This is an extremely common movement, and there is no real reason that you would need to use an authorized service shop or send it all the way back to Sinn itself if having the movement serviced is all you need to do. This is partially why I somewhat regret getting the U2 S, as the additional features are cool (such as the argon purge and the desiccant capsule), but require the specialized shops to do it. For a more simple watch like the U1, I would not let the difficulty of getting it serviced by authorized shops or the manufacturer to be a deterrence, it would be akin to not wanting to buy a Toyota Camry because your local Toyota dealership's service department is terrible, ignoring the fact that the Camry is widely used and any decent auto shop can maintain/repair it.

I'm basically at just three watches these days, and can easily par it down to two:
    • Garmin tactix Delta
    • Sinn U2S
    • Tag Heuer Carrera Date

The U2S only sees use in a closed area, where no personal electronics are allowed, and I could ditch that pretty easily.

For me, the Garmin provides a huge amount of utility. It provides phone notifications (damn nice little feature once you get used to it), along with navigational abilities, some basic health monitoring, exercise tracking, along with all the standard watch stuff (timekeeping, time elapsed, date, etc.). It's definitely not something that will last forever, and is semi-disposable, but is useful enough that I am happy to buy new Garmins as they wear out, even at the price they ask.

The Garmin is definitely a tool, though, and for when I need something much more jewelry like, the Tag is what I wear, as it is very much a dress watch. The Garmin in informal wear simply seems ridiculous, and is probably stuck at smart casual at best; it still looks a bit out of place in business casual, especially as beat up as mine is.

If I had to choose just one, I would pick the Garmin in a heartbeat, and just go watch-less when a dressy appearance is the primary concern.

One watch, Omega Seamaster, for specifically the 2254.50. In my mind the perfect seamaster with the best bracelet. Great brand recognition with ties to James Bond and historical military tool watches. Two watches, 36mm Rolex Datejust fluted/jubilee. Looks good in everything, great history.

Name:  72144797262__F846D5A0-26C7-4F95-971E-8D3DD31EF830.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  19.0 KBName:  68246106297__B1ADB095-A6FB-47E3-A925-8AF4B0E81813.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  30.0 KB

Grand Seiko

I would nominate the Grand Seiko spring drive, mine is the SBGA 229 diver in stainless, also available in Ti as the SBGA 231. I think there are successor models now. It is the most accurate watch I’ve ever owned. Spring Drive is sort of a hybrid mechanical/quartz, no battery required. There are many spring drive models available. Grand Seiko also makes mechanical and quartz models if you prefer. GS makes about 30,000 watches annually as compared to Rolex at about 1 million a year.

Name:  IMG_8181.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  57.6 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    PRESUMPTION-BY DEFINITION A QUARTZ WATCH IS MORE DURABLE THAN AN AUTOMATIC GIVEN FAR LESS MOVING PARTS.

https://www.jomashop.com/victorinox-inox-watches.html

Two offerings as the HK USP of watches.

Victornox INOX in Quartz at 300 ish

Attachment 117672

This one is 350ish and called a women's' watch. However, it is a chunky 37 mm watch such that many a man could wear it with ease.

Attachment 117673
    Wouldn't a quartz Marathon 41mm Navigator with a battery you can change yourself be a candidate as well?

https://www.marathonwatch.com/collec...eel-navigators

Name:  IMG_8017.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  45.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I was the dorky kid that wore one of these in high school and college. But now a phone does all that and more, so why bother with a watch? I haven't worn one in probably 10 or 12 years. I think I have a G-Shock lying around somewhere that I used to time myself while running.

Some of us are just watch people and the rest aren't.... I can be scrolling through my phone and I'll still flip my hand over to read the time off of my watch instead of just looking at my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I would nominate the Grand Seiko spring drive, mine is the SBGA 229 diver in stainless, also available in Ti as the SBGA 231. I think there are successor models now. It is the most accurate watch I’ve ever owned. Spring Drive is sort of a hybrid mechanical/quartz, no battery required. There are many spring drive models available. Grand Seiko also makes mechanical and quartz models if you prefer. GS makes about 30,000 watches annually as compared to Rolex at about 1 million a year.
    I've always been enamored with the Spring Drive and hope to own one someday. The Spring Drive Tuna specifically. The idea of a mechanical movement regulated with a quartz heartbeat is just brilliant. And that actual true sweep second hand is to die for.

Site Supporter
    The Spring Drive of GS is a marvel. The finishing of the case/dial/hands/indices are superlative. It is entirely possible that my retirement watch will not be a Rolex OP from an AD at retail but rather a GS as I have no assurance "my" Rolex" ever coming in.
    I can buy a GS online today and at multiple ADs in town or within 4 hrs.

I am hopeful that GS ups their game on their bracelets as they are fine, but not, IMHO, as nice as the other components.

Frankly, at 5K plus, I am astounded that many folks are still selling bracelets that do not have micro adjustments on the fly when microbrands are doing it on watches that cost a 1/10 of the price.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I agree, bracelets are an issue with many. I know my Sinn bracelets aren’t as well sorted as the watch. My Seiko Monsters are the same.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

As per usual, this place is helpful and learning has taken place. I had thought to look for a local watch repair place to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That generation of U1 most likely has an ETA movement; any reputable watchmaker can service it. I had mine serviced locally when I had my U1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    As @Totem Polar noted, your U1 has an ETA movement (the 2824-2, IIRC; the new ones have a Sellita SW 200-1, which is more or less a clone of the ETA). This is an extremely common movement, and there is no real reason that you would need to use an authorized service shop or send it all the way back to Sinn itself if having the movement serviced is all you need to do. This is partially why I somewhat regret getting the U2 S, as the additional features are cool (such as the argon purge and the desiccant capsule), but require the specialized shops to do it. For a more simple watch like the U1, I would not let the difficulty of getting it serviced by authorized shops or the manufacturer to be a deterrence, it would be akin to not wanting to buy a Toyota Camry because your local Toyota dealership's service department is terrible, ignoring the fact that the Camry is widely used and any decent auto shop can maintain/repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Well I’ve only got one watch (again as I sold the Sea Dweller).

What can I say that hasn’t already been said for the Explorer. It goes from smart casual, to business casual, to PVC bibs scales and blood all the same. One thing you can’t appreciate without spending a lot of time with one it the reflectivity of the white gold numerals and indices. With the combination of AR coating it really dances with the light, in a way I’ve never experienced with another watch. One of those things were it looks boring to everyone but the wearer.

Name:  IMG_8185.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6323.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  24.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6741.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  28.9 KB
    Last edited by NPV; 04-25-2024 at 03:02 PM.

I don't have a choice (yet), but I deeply align with this sentiment about the Moonwatch. It can be your first great watch, and your last

https://youtu.be/w8-DdurbLKw?si=qnuCiVz6jlDHOVKF&t=564

User Tag List