Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

My USPSA belt has two magnets on it, so I use a Marathon poly quartz when dry and live firing.

Between 9 PM and 5 AM this morning, my Zinn lost three seconds.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So, if you could only have one watch, what would it be?
    Sinn U1.

I had been ogling that watch for about five years straight (thanks to TLG who first posted a picture of one on this forum), and had had to send my then current watch back for warranty repairs about half a dozen times within one year. Being the financially responsible adult that I am, I finally said "fuck it" and bought the damn watch I really wanted to have. (With financing, obviously, since it's not like I have that kind of cash just laying around.) That was back in... 2019, and I have worn this same watch every day since then, very nearly 24/7. I have probably done just about everything you're not supposed to do with a mechanical watch - I've wrenched on my truck, shot large bore revolvers, chipped ice off the stairs... And (perhaps like the man who fell off the top of the Empire State building said on the way down) so far so good. The watch has been the constant, reliable companion I've wanted it to be. (It probably helps that the watch that chose me is a really robust tool watch. Not every mechanical watch could probably take everything my Sinn had.)

On Sinn watch accuracy, mine has the Sellite movement and Sinn has stated the acceptable accuracy of the watch is +/- 10 seconds per day. Mine is constantly fast, with accuracy varying on how active I am; typical accuracy for when I'm being my own lazy self is about 6ish seconds per day. Back when we were moving into a new building at work and I was involved in wiring the place up, so doing physical labor 8 hours per day, the watch reached Rolex-level accuracy being juuuust a hair under 2 seconds fast, per day. My typical routine is to set the watch 30 seconds behind the actual time on every Sunday. This averages things out pretty well throughout the week, and my watch is always acceptably accurate for my needs.

Name:  IMG_20190720_174548730.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  66.8 KB

Started the day with a new pair of gloves. :)

I'm sure people who select their watches based on logical reasons alone can point out numerous reasons why I shouldn't have splurged so excessively on something like a wrist watch, but I have exactly zero regrets. This is the One True Watch I've wanted ever since I found out about its existence, and it'll stay on my wrist as long as possible. As for a second watch? Well, I've promised my girlfriend that if I ever get elected Prime Minister or something, that requires constant wear of expensive suits, I might take a look at Sinn's Financial District watches. Other than that, I think I'm good on the watch front. (Now, when it comes to High Powers and leather holsters, on the other hand...)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Awesome post! It is fascinating how watches can become part of life and take on something beyond simply telling time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Living.

Your phone, tablet, personal computer, a communications radio, any rotating electrical appliance (think a desk fan) all produce magnetic fields, albeit it small ones. Watches with decent shielding will mostly be unaffected and it can take a long time from daily life (years) to magnetize a watch.
    I picked up an inexpensive demagnetizer based on your earlier posts, and this morning I sat down to look at my watches. Do you have a recommended Gauss app for checking magnetism and a timing app? I used to have Hairspring, but that seems to have disappeared.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I picked up an inexpensive demagnetizer based on your earlier posts, and this morning I sat down to look at my watches. Do you have a recommended Gauss app for checking magnetism and a timing app? I used to have Hairspring, but that seems to have disappeared.
    I mostly use a Suunto compass.

But I downloaded this app yesterday: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magnet...r/id6478119877

And I like the simple layout and use. But I haven't checked the accuracy yet.

Hammertime
    I broke a bunch of watches at a teen. Then I got a circa 1988 Timex Triathlon that I beat the living shit out of, to the point the buttons were little nubs and it never once failed besides battery changes every 5-10 years. I personally liked it a lot better than the G-Shock competitor. It is still on the shelf ready to play when I get another battery for it.

Then I quit wearing watches.

I just got my kid an apple watch for his college graduation and thought to myself: There is a $400 object that will be worthless in two years. A Rolex or Omega would be a lot better gift, but he would much rather have the Apple product.

Mechanical watches seem more like functional jewelry than a better mousetrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I just got my kid an apple watch for his college graduation and thought to myself: There is a $400 object that will be worthless in two years.
    Perhaps it'll be worthless in 2 years, but it'll provide a lot of convenience and functionality in that time, enough that it may very well be worth the two-ish quarters a day he's (you) basically paying for such niceties. Though realistically, an Apple Watch should be quite serviceable for well over 2 years, I would doubling that timespan would be the norm for folks that don't chase the latest and greatest.

I certainly seen my Garmin tactix Delta in the same light. Yeah, it won't last forever, and is hardly an heirloom, despite the high price it commands, but for the years I have it, it's been extremely useful, far more so than any of my normal wristwatches. When the tactix 8 comes out, I'll definitely be getting one to replace the Delta.

I had an exciting morning advancing the date on my four analog watches to May 1.

A friend urges me to get an Apple for its Fall Warning app.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I mostly use a Suunto compass.

But I downloaded this app yesterday: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magnet...r/id6478119877

And I like the simple layout and use. But I haven't checked the accuracy yet.
    Thanks - that one looks simple enough.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    One watch, Omega Seamaster, for specifically the 2254.50. In my mind the perfect seamaster with the best bracelet. Great brand recognition with ties to James Bond and historical military tool watches. Two watches, 36mm Rolex Datejust fluted/jubilee. Looks good in everything, great history.

Attachment 117681Attachment 117682
    The 2254.50 was the nicest looking seasmaster they ever made. Why they went away from that design to the current is a mystery to me.

User Tag List