Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm not too hard up over the first watch to summit Everest mystery, but that particular advertisement is carefully worded to not make that claim, only that Rolex provided watches to the Hunt expedition, which I don't think is in question. It definitely wasn't an Explorer though, which didn't exist back then, but I think the Explorer certainly descends from this lineage. I think this (The Truth About Rolex, Smiths, and Mt. Everest) was a balanced article on the topic.

But I'm much more committed to arguing that the Explorer is really the original James Bond watch.
    Is the Explorer the best or worst Rolex watch?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Rolex has claimed - or worded things in a way that make it easy for people to assume - some pretty counter-factual things.
    The world of advertising in a nutshell.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

IWC is really proud of their watches, judging by the prices for these used ones. What special sauce does IWC have going?

https://www.tourneau.com/certified-p...-schaffhausen/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    IWC is really proud of their watches, judging by the prices for these used ones. What special sauce does IWC have going?

https://www.tourneau.com/certified-p...-schaffhausen/
    They're a Swiss brand with a long horological history. Not much else to it, AFAIK. Probably somewhere between Rolex and Omega, next to Zenith, on a list? They're part of the Richemont holding company, so owned by the same folks that own JLC, VC, ALS, Panerai, Piaget, etc.

I have been compiling the list of watches we seem to like under a G:

Victorinox
    Marathon Quartz
    G-Shocks of various stripes

I'm a bit surprised no one has said Seiko?

Has anyone tried any of the Bertucci field watches? Their TI case variants are aesthetically pleasing (to me).

---

I'll go more into use case:

Field/EDC watch. Environments from Bio Labs, college classroom, to spelunking in ice caves, walking field transects in the Snake River range, rappelling into caves in the Mojave, running an air chisel and welding in my home garage.

Musts: Analog. Accurate. Hack complication. 40mm or less case size.

Prefer: Mechanical (hand wind is fine). Arabic numerals at 3-6-9-12, second hashes, minimalist design**. Decent brand recognition among non-watch nerds*.

Budget: $1k - I might be able to squeeze this up to $2500. So you can recommend in the range from 0-2500 but the top end will need to be compelling (and I know it's a low top end for big brands).

*I say this - because this thing has to be a statement about not just function but form.

**remember this is a guy who likes 1911s and Colt revolvers built before 1955 and cars built before 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Victorinox
    Marathon Quartz

Has anyone tried any of the Bertucci field watches? Their TI case variants are aesthetically pleasing (to me).

---

Field/EDC watch. Environments from Bio Labs, college classroom, to spelunking in ice caves, walking field transects in the Snake River range, rappelling into caves in the Mojave, running an air chisel and welding in my home garage.

Prefer: Mechanical (hand wind is fine). Arabic numerals at 3-6-9-12, second hashes, minimalist design**. Decent brand recognition among non-watch nerds*.

Budget: $1k - I might be able to squeeze this up to $2500. So you can recommend in the range from 0-2500 but the top end will need to be compelling (and I know it's a low top end for big brands).

*I say this - because this thing has to be a statement about not just function but form.

**remember this is a guy who likes 1911s and Colt revolvers built before 1955 and cars built before 1973.
    I have a Bertucci titanium solar field watch that I love. It cost $295 as I recall. Keeps perfect time and I change bands regularly. At that price, the Bertucci and Vaer Solar Tactical punch way above their weight.

https://ultimatefieldwatch.com/produ...ack-nylon-band

I would add the Mido Ocean Star Titanium and Ocean Star GMT to the awesome under $1,000 category.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Victorinox
    Marathon Quartz

---

Any Hamilton Khaki Field, though I think the Murph might be what you want
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Sinn 556?

And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

These are theoretical, as i haven't actually used them, but rather they were in my to-do list when i was dabbling in watches as a third order hobby.

One watch - a Christopher Ward. I enjoy them aesthetically, they are semi value priced, the one i had held up to my meager needs well enough, and i could make it work dressing up or down.

Something like this https://www.christopherward.com/int/...-S00W2-B0.html

For a two watch setup -

A damasko for a fun daily driver - i like them aesthetically and they always seemed like fun tool watches.

A dc70 in green or orange -

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/c...186/dc70-green

And a Panerai for special occasions. There are several i like and have always been fascinated with them aesthetically. Big diameter case and classic colorway that just does it for me.

A basic luminor will do.

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...base-logo.html

Eventually I'll get back into watches. I only had half a dozen hobby grade (sub 1k) watches when i did dabble but sold them as other interests arose. They don't actually play an important role in my life but i did enjoy them for enjoyment sake.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    (Ok I will play. Again comments in caps not yelling)

Victorinox
    Marathon Quartz

---

FIELD/EDC IN THE SUB 500 SPACE IS BERTUCCI AND VAER ALL DAY LONG.

IF MECHANICAL IS REALLY DRIVING THE TRAIN-HAMILTON KHAKI FIELD AND THE OFFERINGS OF DEKLA ARE GREAT IN THE SUB 1K SPACE.

I WOULD HUMBLY SUBMIT THAT MOST OF YOUR USE CASE COUNSELS FOR A CASIO G SHOCK. (spelunking in ice caves, walking field transects in the Snake River range, rappelling into caves in the Mojave, running an air chisel and welding in my home garage.)

IMHO-MECHANICAL WATCHES ARE NEVER THE WATCHES TO WEAR IN AN AFFIRMATIVELY ABUSIVE/HIGH VIBRATION/HISK RISK OF IMPACT ENVIROMENT. JUST CAUSE YOU CAN DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD. A LOT OF FOLKS SNORKEL WITH A NEVER BEEN SERVICED 25 YEAR OLD ROLEX SUBMARINER THAT WORKS JUST FINE RIGHT UNTIL IT DOES NOT AND THEY THEN JUST BOUGHT THEMSELVES A 2K RESTORE JOB FROM THE MOTHERSHIP BECUASE THE SEALS GOT OLD.

I AM VERY MEH ON SEIKO BECUASE OF THEIR CONTIUNED USE OF NON SAPPHIRE CHRYSTALS WELL INTO THEIR LINE ON WATCHES WITH 500USD + REATAIL PRICING.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List