Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next steps for a beginner

A good dry fire plan goes a long way

Personally for me acexr has been huge

I love dry fire and do a fair amount of it especially the week before a match. But the limitation is whether my eye view can actually determine a hit or not. When wife and I live practice, we are very aware of how much ammo we use. My wife, since she only shoots one match and one practice per month, will sometimes start w/ a 10 rnd mag and run through it just to get back in the groove a bit. Other than that, every round we shoot has a specific practice purpose. IE; we often load 2 in a couple of mags. Draw, empty mag 1, reload, empty mag 2. There, using just 4 rounds, we practiced a draw, a reload, and 4 hopefully hits. Sometimes we do that w/ a single target. Other times we have a 10ft and a 30ft target so we have a chance to see how we need to change our technique a bit to hit the further target. Also, on subsequent runs, we will change which target we hit first. BTW we use paper plates taped to a 15-18 inch cardboard so we can see our misses. After doing some runs standing still we start setting up so we move. A target or 2 from a position, move to another position, and hit 1 or 2 more targets. My point w/ all of the above is, with 2 boxes of ammo, and some thoughtful planning, you can get a heck of a lot of practice in.

User Tag List