Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next steps for a beginner

Competitive shooting reveals your weaknesses and reveals the things you don't know that you don't know.

You don't have to win trophies to improve your shooting skill by competing in IDPA or USPSA matches.

Site Supporter
    Set goals and keep regular practice.

Work out to your ability.

Get training.

When you can add other aspects, hand only, knife, pepper spray.

I’ve helped more people out in the world with my floor jack than my handgun.

Welcome to PF. I am no expert.

Site Supporter
    My take on competition, esp. now - is that I compete against myself to improve and/or keep basic gun skills up to parr. About training - all good recommendations above. While you can read and watch - you have to get out there. The problem is finding quality (as can be recommended here) as compared to 'commando' kill 'em all. Once comfortable, I would look for quality FOF. The instructors need to be trained in such - look for instructor classes in their resume. Being a soldier isn't sufficient. They must be well planned, scripted and refereed - not a paint ball shoot 'em up.

Legal classes, medical, etc. all great to have. Legal, especially.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Everyone above has great advice so I can't ad much. But I do want to tell you how much I have learned shooting idpa matches. Unless you can find a place that allows drawing from holster, or take a class, idpa (uspsa also but I haven't tried that yet) opens up a whole other world of shooting. I shoot 2 local matches per month and have an absolute blast learning as I go. We get to shoot from every imaginable position. Both clubs I shoot at have an old American full size van that we use. Last Saturday was simple. Start behind the van and shoot 3 targets off to it's right. Move to the driver's window and shoot through both open windows at 2 targets. Move to the side of the hood and shoot over it at 2 more. I have also sat in the driver's seat, shot out through the sliding door, out through the passenger window, push the driver door fully open, get out, and shoot through that window at targets in front of the van. Have laid down on a carpet beside the van and shot under it at 2 targets about 6ft away at ground level. We shoot at swinging targets that pop out from behind a plastic barrel, and others that pop up from behind the barrel and give you maybe 5 seconds to hit it. Go to Practiscore, search for idpa matches near you. Also search out Izaak Walton League and any gun clubs. Every match I have shot does NOT require you to be a member of whatever facility is holding the match. You need a pistol, a hip holster, a double magazine pouch, 3 mags, ear protection ( I strongly recommend electronic ears), and 2-3 boxes of ammo. When you get to your first match, tell them you are new and they will be sure to give you some extra attention. Forget about your times. Be safe, have fun, learn, and after 6 matches, think about times.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Competitive shooting reveals your weaknesses and reveals the things you don't know that you don't know.
    Yes it does. I've learned a lot by shooting in local defensive pistol matches, and I've learned that I need to learn more.
    --Jason--

When you decide to start training, I’ll suggest the team at MDFI. I’m guessing you’ll find classes in your area. They’ll help you set you on a solid path to well rounded competence.

https://www.trainmdfi.com/

Replace gun with super blaster? Nah. At some point you may find the concealment limitation of a full size gun and decide to supplement with a gun that’s more conducive to the role.

I’ll recommend that you stockpile as much ammo as you can afford. Ideally enough to get you through the next couple years. We are entering what will likely be a very contentious election cycle that is almost certainly going to bring about major price increases and unavailability. Buy in bulk online for best deals. A couple hundred rounds your defensive rounds and lots of FMJ practice ammo. If I had limited finances, I’d probably place my financial priority here. A stash of at least 5-10k rounds is a solid target *ahem* to get you through the next ammo crisis. Most people won’t do this, so class enrollment we dwindle, which you’ll be able to take advantage of, as you see fit.
    David S.

Thanks all for the training pointers. Also everyone's points about participating in IDPA are not lost on me. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    1: Do you have a place to shoot that will allow you to draw from a holster?
    Yes, on family-owned land. I'm currently cutting down an unwanted cottonwood tree. We'll see how many holster draws it takes.

2: Is there an avenue to allow you to get bulk or cheap practice ammo? The more $$$ you can save on ammo (of reasonable quality), the more your budget opens up for other things.
    ammoseek.com has been my go-to. I haven't yet found anywhere online with prices lower than I find through ammoseek's search functionality, but I'm all ears to alternatives. I also noticed that cases of ammo are a lot cheaper per round in my hand than buying by the box. I'm not prepared to start purchasing by the pallet. I did do some back of the napkin math on reloading and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me in 9mm, but I know nothing about reloading so my numbers could be way off. I don't think any ammo companies would want to sponsor me because I'm neither a talented shooter nor a magnetic personality. Unless... maybe there's an ammo company out there that likes dad jokes...

3: Do you have a shot timer, or phone app that will work as a timer? You can use this with your dryfire and live fire and will be essential when you set and practice drills and standards.
    Yes, I've benefitted a lot from the MantisX dry/live fire system. That has been sufficient for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    My opinion, the most "effective EDC'ing private citizen" is the guy who sees trouble coming and leaves before it reaches them, or defeats the will of the opponent before action is taken.

Situational awareness, understanding body language/intent, and profiling.

Here's some books in that department:

Principles of Personal Defense
    Violence of Mind: Training and Preparation for Extreme
    Beyond OODA: Developing the Orientation for Deception, Conflict and Violence (part 2 of the above book - I haven't read it yet)
    Left of Bang
    Even Musashi: An Epic Novel of the Samurai Era has some interesting perspective on mindset and battle

EDC'ing shouldn't be about being able to stop untoward harm with projectiles and sharpened steel - although that is a component.
    That makes a whole lot of sense to me. I added those to my reading list. I'm starting with Left of Bang from your list and Straight Talk on Armed Defense from Clusterfrack's:

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @useruser0, add this goldmine of info to your reading list:
    https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk.../dp/1440247544

..and it features a few chapters by some of P-F's subject matter experts.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I’ll recommend that you stockpile as much ammo as you can afford. Ideally enough to get you through the next couple years. We are entering what will likely be a very contentious election cycle that is almost certainly going to bring about major price increases and unavailability. Buy in bulk online for best deals. A couple hundred rounds your defensive rounds and lots of FMJ practice ammo. If I had limited finances, I’d probably place my financial priority here. A stash of at least 5-10k rounds is a solid target *ahem* to get you through the next ammo crisis. Most people won’t do this, so class enrollment we dwindle, which you’ll be able to take advantage of, as you see fit.
    I've heard everyone talk about the glory days a few years ago. I came to the party late enough to enjoy COVID prices instead.

At any rate, with my current level of consumption I can almost last one whole election cycle. I'm continuing to keep an eye out for good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by useruser0 View Post
    I've heard everyone talk about the glory days a few years ago. I came to the party late enough to enjoy COVID prices instead.

At any rate, with my current level of consumption I can almost last one whole election cycle. I'm continuing to keep an eye out for good deals.
    It is what it is, my point is buy at any reasonable price. As I understand it, “they” are already supply line shortages, and the election nonsense hasn’t even started ramping up. The Ammoseek online bots will help you find better pricing, just make sure you’re buying good enough quality ammo. Some of the cheapest stuff has a reputation for being garbage.
    David S.

We always buy by 1000rnd case. My favorite is Blazer brass 115Gr, followed by Blazer Aluminum 115. I have also found Federal, Norma, and Aguila to work fine. My friends who have been reloading everything for years tell me it isn't worth it in 9mm. Other than ammoseek, just keep looking everywhere you can locally. I was asking at a match 7-8 months ago because FE or UPS had just asked for a signature when they dropped off a case. My devious mind said if the feds can't get the info from the ammo sellers, now they can try the shipping companies. I was told XYZ store had really great prices. $.26/rnd. It is a 2 hour drive for me but I just bought several more cases 3 days ago.

Mostly good advice so far. Not sure where in SW MI you are, I am in Coloma. I shoot 3-4 IDPA matches a month in this area so some of those should be close to you. I would be happy to help you at a match. I am primarily a defensive minded shooter and have attended dozens of classes, but do enjoy competing. Though scheduling may be tough, I would be happy to hit the range with you and do an evaluation. I am a Rangemaster Certified Advanced Handgun Instructor among others. I don't say that to brag, just to let you know I do know a little about this stuff.

User Tag List