Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing out by not trying HKS loaders, and only using Comp I's?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I carried an S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman .357 Magnum on patrol in the 80s. I used HKS speedloaders and never had an issue.

I currently carry a Ruger LCR .327 Magnum and use HKS speedloaders, loose in my pocket, and haven't had a problem yet in the year I've been carrying the LCR.

I started out with HKS, I've ingrained the motor program to use them, and and I'm comfortable with them.
    Different experiences. I've had HKS, carried loose in pocket, release on their own at least a couple times. I've also managed to bump the release knob in pocket at least a couple times, and probably more, working on F.A.S.T. times. Never a problem on the other hand with Comp I, II, III, or JetLoaders (though Bob M notes a jamming issue with Comps above).
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    I am not sure if this is relevant but will post just in case: for a Colt Detective Special, the HKS are easier to insert into the cylinder.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I agree with Bill; which speedloaders work the best are often platform- and grip-specific. Both HKS and Safariland are highly competent mainstays. I only have one Comp! Safariland, because the small knob is difficult to use compared to the Comp II/IIIs and HKS. I've got equal amounts of Comp IIs and HKS for my GP100, and Comp IIIs for it as well. For my Security Six with its Trausch grips, I'm only comfortable with HKS.

Try both, or others, and seed what works best for you is my recommendation.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I prefer HKS, but that’s 98% subjective primarily based on I’ve used the the vast majority of the time.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've used HKS for years, but @03RN got me into Safarilands and I've not looked back. Buying a loading block did make things a lot easier for matches. That there's only one thing to do (push them into the cylinder) is a lot easier under stress than inserting the loader, holding the cylinder to keep it from turning, and twisting the knob. And the Safarilands do hold them better in a pocket. The negative is that if you use a split-six holder, where the loader rests on your belt, you can push them down too hard and dump the rounds with a Safariland.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I've used HKS for my 32 SW guns. They work. Not the fastest - wear them on my belt for matches. The only problem I had was with wadcutters as I found them jiggly to get in the smaller holes. No intrinsic guiding of the front of the round.

For EDC, the competition Safari Land pouches didn't make sense for me, so I bought some Simply Rugged Holsters Sidewinder Speedloader/ Moon Clip Pouch. If I carried the 632 SS inch barrel gun in an OWB, I would use the Sidewinder for a couple of reloads.

However, if it's the 432 in my pocket - then a speed strip. Yeah, can't reload quick for them zombies but that's life or the undead.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    I started using the new SL Variant made in Japan with my Pythons. I purchased extensions, which makes them appear similar to Comp IIIs. Using extensions makes them carry like magazines in my pocket. They are easy to access and don't move around, and I just punch the extension for a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    We all have our own experiences but, for me, HKS is the inferior choice in every way except availability in certain formats like the .32. They are slower, fiddlier, and prone to accidental release unless carried in a pouch. Push release generally trumps twist release. In my opinion anyways: spring push > gravity push > gravity twist > strips (though strips have the advantage of easiest carry. Pick your poison).
    I agree with @Half Moon.

I've had HKS dump the rounds in a pouch and pocket. Safariland all the way for me if available.

A tip I heard for the Comp loaders. Wash them with Dawn dish washing soap in water and let them dry without rinsing. The residue from the soap lubricates them.

When the original IDPA rules for revolver were being developed, the size of the Comp IIIs was questioned. Hackathorn said that they are no bigger than a double stack magazine.

I am anxiously awaiting the Speed Beez for my 432UC.

The HKS loaders can vary depending on capacity, so it isn't just a matter of comparing HKS to Safariland. For example, the 6-shot L-frame HKS loaders had a lot of bullet "wiggle" when loaded. Meanwhile, the 7-shot L-frame HKS loaders held 6 of the 7 rounds as tight/still as Starline brass in a TK moonclip. Which made reloading considerably smoother.

Every 7-shot loader I've used behaved the same, so I assume it's a function of geometry rather than variation in manufacturing. So that's to say the 6-shot .32 HKS loaders may not behave the same as the 5-shot .38 HKS loaders you try out. Never used a 5-shot HKS J-frame loader so I can't compare, but this is something to be aware of.

All that said, it really doesn't matter. There's a lot to be said for consistency, but I never had a problem going back and forth between Bubberized Comp 3s in IDPA and HKS for steel challenge. BBI's non-targeted-defensive-gun-use info has kind of skewed my take on how important this sort of thing is in reality. It's probably worthwhile to have a speedloader because having a reload, even after the fact, could be important. But at this point I'm not super concerned about the fractional difference in performance outside competition where we hyper-fixate on that sort of thing.

Both HKS and Safariland have decades of history, stretching back to when police revolvers were a thing and any given IDPA match would have more than 0-1 shooters in SSR division. Pick one or both and drive on. Let personal experience take it from there.

I prefer Safariland's but HKS makes one for every revolver I own, I have to make do and I'm good with either.

I have broken 2 jet loaders and for the money they should not feel like a cheap toy.

I picked up 2 HKSs at a gun show that I do believe are knockoffs. I remember thinking the packaging was off, the knurling on the knob isn't as sharp and the engraving is different than others. I bring this up because I don't trust them to retain rounds in a pouch much less a pocket. The ones that I know are good I have no trouble with.

I do have 2 Ruger branded Pachmayrs for my SP101, (don't judge I had $100 Ruger bucks to spend so I got 2 of every speed loader for the SP). I really want to like these. They are solid built all aluminum, hold the rounds in with a vice like grip, knob is bigger than HKS which I like, not round so they don't roll away. The cons, more expensive and they release counterclockwise which is backward to HKS.

User Tag List