Thread: Do I need more crimp, more powder, both or something else?

Do I need more crimp, more powder, both or something else?

Fired my first 50 reloads today! .38 Special, 3.5gr 231 (starting load Lyman 51st Ed) , 158gr coated LRN from MBC. Most of the fired brass looks like this:

Name:  IMG_2291.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  88.9 KB

IIRC this is a sign of low pressure and the brass not sealing the chamber (4" GP100). What is the normal first step to fix this? I don't have a chrono but the manual says 680fps @11,000CUP, no test barrel length listed.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Yeah, that's a sign of low pressure. There's nothing wrong with that, other than the fouling outside of the cases.

What is your goal with this ammo? Low recoil, best accuracy, matching your carry load, something else? You can do a lot with 231, from accurate wadcutter loads to duplicating current production Remington and Winchester +P LSWC-HP velocities.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

My J-frame practice load, developed when my arthritis was killing my wrists, is

158gr LSWC
    3.1gr HP-38 (same thing as Win 321)
    avg 544 fps.
    At 10 yards it hits to point of aim.
    The fired brass looks pretty much like your example.

I can shoot this all day except for having to clean the whole damn gun every 50 rounds to keep it running. If I had a 357 Henry rifle (some day) I would not shoot this load in it, probably stick 10" from the chamber.

My Speer #12 (1994) loading manual gives these numbers. This was back before when Win231 and HP-38 were actually different powders

HP-38
    Min 3.9gr 806fps
    Max 4.3gr 886fps

Win 231
    Min 4.0gr 792fps
    Max 4.4gr 878fps

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Current manufacturer's data for 231 is at https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

FWIW, 231 and HP38 were always the same powder, as were 296 and H110.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Honestly, the main goal is plinking/practice ammo that won’t beat up my hands in smaller, lighter revolvers.

Now that I’ve tried this load I’ll see how accurate it is next time. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the loads but given the number of times I’ve seen people ask about those low pressure signs I wasn’t sure if there was something I was supposed to fix or if things are just fine as they are.

FWIW Lyman 51 shows 4.0 as max for cast 158 LSWC. I’ll probably load a few of those to try out in the lighter models. If they’re too much for the lightweights, they would probably be good in my Marlin 1894.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Pushing closer to 4 grains will probably clean things up a bit. I imagine you're getting a fair amount of unburnt powder at that 3.5gr charge. 4 grains will probably also increase recoil a fair amount, but it should still be below max. IIRC I have used 4.0gr W231 with a 158gr plated bullet before, and it shot okay. Was a bit more of a handful than my wadcutter loads, fired from an Airweight.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Pushing closer to 4 grains will probably clean things up a bit. I imagine you're getting a fair amount of unburnt powder at that 3.5gr charge. 4 grains will probably also increase recoil a fair amount, but it should still be below max. IIRC I have used 4.0gr W231 with a 158gr plated bullet before, and it shot okay. Was a bit more of a handful than my wadcutter loads, fired from an Airweight.
    Another range trip today and the higher charges did away with most (all?) of the low pressure signs. 3.8 felt like the Fed GMM I brought along and 4.0 wasn't uncomfortable but I'll stick to 3.8 as the max and 3.5-3.6 for fun plinkers and when I'm just wanting to work on my DA pull.

User Tag List