Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Wouldn’t that crowd be more upset if they found out you weren’t carrying?
    You might be surprised at how many gun owners are shocked by the idea of bringing a gun to church. A number of denominations take a formal position in favor of gun control, although they do not advertise this position to their members. In my experience, a church which supports gun control is invariably wrong on other issues, so it is an effective litmus test for good doctrine.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    One of the biggest mistakes I made when introducing my wife to the armed lifestyle was focusing too much on minimum requirements and not enough on what would (not what could) realistically be carried. A .32 that is actually carried beats a double stack full size 9mm that was left home.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You might be surprised at how many gun owners are shocked by the idea of bringing a gun to church. A number of denominations take a formal position in favor of gun control, although they do not advertise this position to their members. In my experience, a church which supports gun control is invariably wrong on other issues, so it is an effective litmus test for good doctrine.
    Not long ago our pastor told my wife, "when I see your husband sitting in the congregation on Sunday morning I always feel better". As far as I know, I'm one of two people who's armed in our church.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Cause split times with a J would allow the BG to pretty much heal between shots.....
    Yup, it probably doesn't seem like such a long time to the guy that is about to get shot a second time.
    I have always known a J-frame is a significant compromise. But when I am carrying a J-frame it is under a circumstance that if I wasn't carrying a J-frame I wouldn't be carrying a gun, so it is actually an upgrade.

Site Supporter
    Im fortunate, my pastor is also the city police chaplain and his brother is a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I was in the “anyone who doesn’t carry a full size gun with with a dot and light is just compromising” camp until I had kids.

Completely changed my definitions of both acceptable comfort and acceptable concealment.
    I've also started seeing the opposite viewpoint expressed. About six months ago I started carrying a lightweight Commander 1911, in 9mm. This was entirely due to issues with arthritis. To me, that's a small gun. I'm the guy who carried a 4506 for a couple of years, just because I liked it. 😀 But, I've never been judgy about the choices of others. Hell, I put a considerable amount of effort into trying to make a .32 work for me.

Now, I've started to see the key fob gun tribe snidely criticize anyone who carries anything larger than a J frame. "Flexers". I've never had any patience for that kind of tribalism in anything, Including gunwork. Carry whatever you like and I'll do the same. I wish as much emphasis was placed on software as it is on hardware.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-22-2024 at 10:32 AM.

I knew a retired cop who was violently opposed to carrying guns in church. He was a gun guy and could give no rational explanation for his feelings. It was actually a bit strange.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've also started seeing the opposite viewpoint expressed. About six months ago I started carrying a lightweight Commander 1911, in 9mm. This was entirely due to issues with arthritis. To me, that's a small gun. I'm the guy who carried a 4506 for a couple of years, just because I liked it. 😀 But, I've never been judgy about the choices of others.

Now, I've started to see the key fob gun tribe snidely criticize anyone who carries anything larger than a J frame. "Flexers". I've never had any patience for that kind of tribalism in anything, Including gunwork. Carry whatever you like and I'll do the same. I wish as much emphasis was placed on software as it is on hardware.
    First time I have heard of this but unfortunately I am not surprised. It is as wrong as belittling people who choose to carry something smaller. As one of the biggest advocates of mouseguns on most of the forums in which I have participated, I occasionally carry a G19 and have carried a full size 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    …where a five shot J frame would get me killed in the aisles.
    Yo. The cool kids are all carrying 6-shot J frames now. Do try to keep up, Mr Bond.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I knew a retired cop who was violently opposed to carrying guns in church. He was a gun guy and could give no rational explanation for his feelings. It was actually a bit strange.
    Especially strange given what I imagine the cultural norm for your area is probably like. Even here, one of my buddies at work leads the security ministry for his church, and the rest of the armed team is composed entirely of current and retired LEOs (mix of locals and feds).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List